Some Ungodly talent.....

@Caned Peach ....here's alittle story bout Freddie, that Soldinger told me 25yrs ago.
The late Joe Brodsky, who coached RBs at UM, the Dolphins, and the Cowboys (When Emmitt was there) said, that Freddie's the Best RB he ever saw regardless of age. Sarge was very good friends with Brodsky, and as you already know, was the brother of former UM WR Larry Brodsky. Too many people I know have said the same thing. I saw Freddie play in 4 games, and 42yrs later, I've still never seen anything like him. Only Gore is close....with Troy Davis 3rd.

Advertisement
@Caned Peach ....here's alittle story bout Freddie, that Soldinger told me 25yrs ago.
The late Joe Brodsky, who coached RBs at UM, the Dolphins, and the Cowboys (When Emmitt was there) said, that Freddie's the Best RB he ever saw regardless of age. Sarge was very good friends with Brodsky, and as you already know, was the brother of former UM WR Larry Brodsky. Too many people I know have said the same thing. I saw Freddie play in 4 games, and 42yrs later, I've still never seen anything like him. Only Gore is close....with Troy Davis 3rd.
Don't forget Legendary HC at HML my alma mater....my uncle played for him...and HML beat Freddie Miles and Springs but that was next season after Coach Brodsky went to UM...

Don't forget Legendary HC at HML my alma mater....my uncle played for him...and HML beat Freddie Miles and Springs but that was next season after Coach Brodsky went to UM...
Southridge with Soldinger as HC beat Freddie and Lakes for State Championship as well....Soldinger had Tony Smith at RB (An AA as well)....but not better than Freddie....Freddie only played HS FB for 2yrs (Jr & Sr)....I've seen in person,
Emmitt
Gore
Devine
Davis Bro's
Marquette Smith
T Smith
Busta Rhymes
Washington...and many more too numerous to mention. But Freddie stood out from the pack.

That's some big time praise coming from Sol and Brodsky who were two of the all time greats in Dade county history.

Advertisement
Freddie's the best that ever played in Dade...

My man SWFL, I have to very (respectfully) disagree. We played against Miles on several occasions and I had privilege of watching him play Optimist ball for a year at Hialeah, and as great as he were, I think Frank Gore was better, and he did it on inferior team. His Gables team being outgunned vs the Jacksons', Northwestern, Miami Highs, etc....yet he still made his runs. Going back earlier, some of my former coaches swore on Elvis Peacock being the best of them all but I agree that Freddie Miles was The Truth.

By the way, two kids on that picture, Dale Dorminey and Jim Llinas were Miles' teammates on Hialeah Optimist, and so was Jack Fernandez, who I later believed was MVP of 1984 Orange Bowl vs Nebraska...Joe McCall was also on team and he later played for Miami Jax, Pitt (Marino, Fralic, Covert, etc) and Raiders.

Dorminey was interesting story....1st four years at uf as backup to a Wayne Peace, ready to start 5th year when he has career ending injury 2 weeks before opener with the Canes...in steps Kerwin Bell and rest is history for the gaytes.

Soldinger coached Tony Smith at Southridge...but still insists that Freddie was hands down the best he's ever seen....

I still eagerly await the day I get to meet coach Soldinger. I want to ask him how much it cost him to have the referee hand the Springs - Southridge playoff game to Southridge on one of the worst calls in HS sports history.

I was a freshman at Springs when Freddie was a senior.

Advertisement
Can’t believe there’s NO film what so ever of him. We’ve all known about him for years… sucks! I’d kill to watch him and Earl “the goat” Manigault

Myself and several others have searched for film on Freddie Miles and could not come up with any.

My man SWFL, I have to very (respectfully) disagree. We played against Miles on several occasions and I had privilege of watching him play Optimist ball for a year at Hialeah, and as great as he were, I think Frank Gore was better, and he did it on inferior team. His Gables team being outgunned vs the Jacksons', Northwestern, Miami Highs, etc....yet he still made his runs. Going back earlier, some of my former coaches swore on Elvis Peacock being the best of them all but I agree that Freddie Miles was The Truth.

By the way, two kids on that picture, Dale Dorminey and Jim Llinas were Miles' teammates on Hialeah Optimist, and so was Jack Fernandez, who I later believed was MVP of 1984 Orange Bowl vs Nebraska...Joe McCall was also on team and he later played for Miami Jax, Pitt (Marino, Fralic, Covert, etc) and Raiders.

Dorminey was interesting story....1st four years at uf as backup to a Wayne Peace, ready to start 5th year when he has career ending injury 2 weeks before opener with the Canes...in steps Kerwin Bell and rest is history for the gaytes.
I know what my eyes saw...And if Sarge and Brodsky, the 2 Best RB Coaches in UM History say Miles....I'm rolling with them. Freddie was faster, and stronger than Gore. Troy Davis was Gores equal in HS....I saw Freddie take a pitch out in 79, make a move on a guy, cut across the field for an 85yd TD that left me completely speechless till this very day. I love Gore like nobody's business....but Freddie was just ridiculous...He also had Lomas Brown on his Springs team.

I still eagerly await the day I get to meet coach Soldinger. I want to ask him how much it cost him to have the referee hand the Springs - Southridge playoff game to Southridge on one of the worst calls in HS sports history.

I was a freshman at Springs when Freddie was a senior.
Lol....100% truth....Sarge has the best stories known to Man. Of all the Asst. Coaches on Butch's staff....He was without question the funniest and best storyteller of all of them.

Advertisement
img_1_1648385508290.jpg

Advertisement
Tony Smith was no slouch either at RB. What an all county backfield. Saw Rhymes play hoops in person. Dude was the definition of a stud athlete. Could handle an AK47 as well.

Had forgotten how back then an OLman would be in the 220's LoL
Smith was slick. He's the only Junior RB in the picture. Miles, Rhymes, and Lawrence were seniors. Lots of excellent Miami Dade players in that Era.

Tony Smith was no slouch either at RB. What an all county backfield. Saw Rhymes play hoops in person. Dude was the definition of a stud athlete. Could handle an AK47 as well.

Had forgotten how back then an OLman would be in the 220's LoL

:roll-canes2:

Since most here are too young to get this joke, I'll lay it out.

In Brian Bozworth's book, "The Boz. Confessions of a modern anti-hero," he told stories about how crazy the football dorm was at Oklahoma. He told one story where Buster Rhymes got drunk and emptied a magazine from his AK-47 off the roof of the football dorm.

Advertisement
Back