Some Ungodly talent.....

@SFbayCane .....at your request....
281046662_5547404031960393_6069777424140453561_n.jpg

Advertisement
Advertisement
My man SWFL, I have to very (respectfully) disagree. We played against Miles on several occasions and I had privilege of watching him play Optimist ball for a year at Hialeah, and as great as he were, I think Frank Gore was better, and he did it on inferior team. His Gables team being outgunned vs the Jacksons', Northwestern, Miami Highs, etc....yet he still made his runs. Going back earlier, some of my former coaches swore on Elvis Peacock being the best of them all but I agree that Freddie Miles was The Truth.

By the way, two kids on that picture, Dale Dorminey and Jim Llinas were Miles' teammates on Hialeah Optimist, and so was Jack Fernandez, who I later believed was MVP of 1984 Orange Bowl vs Nebraska...Joe McCall was also on team and he later played for Miami Jax, Pitt (Marino, Fralic, Covert, etc) and Raiders.

Dorminey was interesting story....1st four years at uf as backup to a Wayne Peace, ready to start 5th year when he has career ending injury 2 weeks before opener with the Canes...in steps Kerwin Bell and rest is history for the gaytes.

Medley, I think Big O (Oscar Hernandez/RB) may have also been on that Optimist team, no?

Advertisement
:roll-canes2:

Since most here are too young to get this joke, I'll lay it out.

In Brian Bozworth's book, "The Boz. Confessions of a modern anti-hero," he told stories about how crazy the football dorm was at Oklahoma. He told one story where Buster Rhymes got drunk and emptied a magazine from his AK-47 off the roof of the football dorm.

Denzel Washington GIF

Advertisement
Medley, I think Big O (Oscar Hernandez/RB) may have also been on that Optimist team, no?

Yes he was indeed.
I was on the team following them.
I believe he ended up at the UofCincinnatti.
During our practice we would watch them scrimmage.
They were really good.
They had so many players who excelled at several high schools and colleges. UM, uf, Mississippi State, Pitt and unlike most of these high schools that you see today, they were mostly local, or close, to their high schools. Their (and our) biggest rival back then was Richmond-Perrine Optimist. They were very athletic and I suspect those kids ended up at Killian and Southridge.

Advertisement

From that picture, Mollinea, Fernandez and Bellinger ended up at UM. So did Cortes after he transferred from Kentucky. Rodney Lyles and Evan Cooper both signed state letter of intent with the Canes, but ended up at Michigan. Cooper played lots of years in NFL, and his son played at Temple, later working for Golden at same school and UM. The other LB from Miami Beach also signed with Michigan. The db from Miami Jax, Doug Hill, signed state of intent with FSU bit ended up at Ohio State.

Soldinger coached Tony Smith at Southridge...but still insists that Freddie was hands down the best he's ever seen....
I talked with Sarge about this before cuz his closest comparison was Frank to Freddy. My question has always been your old heads speak forever about these dudes from when the competition level was nowhere near sufficient. You would have one person that was athletically Head and shoulders above 95% of his competition. It's like the talk about Bill Russell and Wilt Chamberlain yet everyone they were playing was athletically inferior to them. How can you judge someone's greatness off of that? That's not saying at all Freddy miles isn't exactly what he's been labeled as. It's just something I've always questioned about sports in general when people mention old people in how Superior they were opposed to players from 20 25 30 years ago who were playing with competition on par equivalent to theirs yet dominating in their fields. Obviously there's no way to ever get a true answer but it's always something I've been curious about mainly because of the running back standards when people speak about Earl Campbell Jim Brown Gale Sayers etc opposed to people like now or in my eyes the greatest ever do it Barry Sanders.

Advertisement
Back