Some Ungodly talent.....

Advertisement
From that picture, Mollinea, Fernandez and Bellinger ended up at UM. So did Cortes after he transferred from Kentucky. Rodney Lyles and Evan Cooper both signed state letter of intent with the Canes, but ended up at Michigan. Cooper played lots of years in NFL, and his son played at Temple, later working for Golden at same school and UM. The other LB from Miami Beach also signed with Michigan. The db from Miami Jax, Doug Hill, signed state of intent with FSU bit ended up at Ohio State.
2 awesome Trojans on that All Dade defense...same Trojans that beat Springs and Freddie Miles

That's not at all true the worst teams are loaded with the better talent from college. They obviously have their share and I'm not speaking about all college teams or yearly or anything. From playing for multiple years in the league I'd watch on a regular and think we woulda gave these people a run for their money or this year's team etc would've gave them a run. Without question it can happen. Not on a normal basis but to dismiss it doesn't make sense. Just my opinion as well.
Understood. Kenny Calhoun shared a story with me when he tried out for the Bucs back when they were a lowly franchise. Without going into details he made me realize NFL teams maybe poorly ran, but the majority of the guys are the better of college players as scouted by the NFL. As much as I love the Canes and we had many guys picked from our better teams, but lets not pretend say 7 from any of our Championship teams, offense and defense were capable NFL starters. I know not all picks pan out, but there is a great deal more talent top to bottom on even lowly NFL teams. IMO. Thanks. Trust me I respect and appreciate your info and opinions. Keep posting Bro.

That's not at all true the worst teams are loaded with the better talent from college. They obviously have their share and I'm not speaking about all college teams or yearly or anything. From playing for multiple years in the league I'd watch on a regular and think we woulda gave these people a run for their money or this year's team etc would've gave them a run. Without question it can happen. Not on a normal basis but to dismiss it doesn't make sense. Just my opinion as well.

I trust your opinion on this infinitely more than the "handicappers" or the "never played the game" crowd.

Understood. Kenny Calhoun shared a story with me when he tried out for the Bucs back when they were a lowly franchise. Without going into details he made me realize NFL teams maybe poorly ran, but the majority of the guys are the better of college players as scouted by the NFL. As much as I love the Canes and we had many guys picked from our better teams, but lets not pretend say 7 from any of our Championship teams, offense and defense were capable NFL starters. I know not all picks pan out, but there is a great deal more talent top to bottom on even lowly NFL teams. IMO. Thanks. Trust me I respect and appreciate your info and opinions. Keep posting Bro.

Kenny Calhoun? Look, I love Kenny Calhoun, I love the heart of our 1983 team, but if you think the 1983 team (or any team back then) is the same as the best college teams of today, as far as being able to match up with NFL players (better nutrition, training, coaching, etc. in college sports today), that is just ridiculous.

Advertisement
Kenny Calhoun? Look, I love Kenny Calhoun, I love the heart of our 1983 team, but if you think the 1983 team (or any team back then) is the same as the best college teams of today, as far as being able to match up with NFL players (better nutrition, training, coaching, etc. in college sports today), that is just ridiculous.
Don't be ridiculous. I never said any of what you stated. Get some sleep

I talked with Sarge about this before cuz his closest comparison was Frank to Freddy. My question has always been your old heads speak forever about these dudes from when the competition level was nowhere near sufficient. You would have one person that was athletically Head and shoulders above 95% of his competition. It's like the talk about Bill Russell and Wilt Chamberlain yet everyone they were playing was athletically inferior to them. How can you judge someone's greatness off of that? That's not saying at all Freddy miles isn't exactly what he's been labeled as. It's just something I've always questioned about sports in general when people mention old people in how Superior they were opposed to players from 20 25 30 years ago who were playing with competition on par equivalent to theirs yet dominating in their fields. Obviously there's no way to ever get a true answer but it's always something I've been curious about mainly because of the running back standards when people speak about Earl Campbell Jim Brown Gale Sayers etc opposed to people like now or in my eyes the greatest ever do it Barry Sanders.

The talent wasn’t as bad as us young guys like to think.

I used to feel the same way about Wilt and Russell, but I have grown to realize it was a terrible take.

It’s stupid to argue eras because you can’t control for changes in training, nutrition, and strategy.

The younger generation always believes they will blow the older guys away, but it’s not a fair comparison.

Give those old guys the same advancements and they would be just as good now. Maybe even better because testosterone levels have been falling for generations.

Greatness is greatness. The way you dominate your peers matters. Everything else is just speculation. If you took prime Adrian Peterson into the 50s, he’d look like Jim Brown. Jim Brown would look like A.D. if you put him in the 2000s.

A lot of those guys would be great in modern times as they were. Give them modern development and it wouldn’t be fair.

The talent wasn’t as bad as us young guys like to think.

I used to feel the same way about Wilt and Russell, but I have grown to realize it was a terrible take.

It’s stupid to argue eras because you can’t control for changes in training, nutrition, and strategy.

The younger generation always believes they will blow the older guys away, but it’s not a fair comparison.

Give those old guys the same advancements and they would be just as good now. Maybe even better because testosterone levels have been falling for generations.

Greatness is greatness. The way you dominate your peers matters. Everything else is just speculation. If you took prime Adrian Peterson into the 50s, he’d look like Jim Brown. Jim Brown would look like A.D. if you put him in the 2000s.

A lot of those guys would be great in modern times as they were. Give them modern development and it wouldn’t be fair.
I'm sure some of that holds true. But it doesn't have anything to do with my point or the conversation. It's not about the greats that I take issue with(who I know several of in different sports and almost all of em agree with me)my point is about the competition they went up against. Sure you can say give them the same tools as well. However that still doesn't hold up as not even mentally was it the same. Dudes now live and die for this game. Back then to most it was simply a hobby they got pretty good at. Look at qbs back in the day. That's like saying y.a ****le could be the same as Dan Marino. Training and what not is great but it's not the end all. Myself I don't think too many people playing right now IN ANY SPORT should be in the conversation for GOAT status. I'll give people LeBron even though I personally take Jordan all day everyday & twice on Sunday over him. Probably take Kobe too but that atleast takes some thought. But besides him I don't put anyone into that talk. It's clear athletically kids are at a leak from what we have ever seen. But the rest of the package is lacking. This generation is soft and mentally weak. According to ur stance unless I'm misunderstanding it than right now would be the cream of the crop. It's not.

Advertisement
I'm sure some of that holds true. But it doesn't have anything to do with my point or the conversation. It's not about the greats that I take issue with(who I know several of in different sports and almost all of em agree with me)my point is about the competition they went up against. Sure you can say give them the same tools as well. However that still doesn't hold up as not even mentally was it the same. Dudes now live and die for this game. Back then to most it was simply a hobby they got pretty good at. Look at qbs back in the day. That's like saying y.a ****le could be the same as Dan Marino. Training and what not is great but it's not the end all. Myself I don't think too many people playing right now IN ANY SPORT should be in the conversation for GOAT status. I'll give people LeBron even though I personally take Jordan all day everyday & twice on Sunday over him. Probably take Kobe too but that atleast takes some thought. But besides him I don't put anyone into that talk. It's clear athletically kids are at a leak from what we have ever seen. But the rest of the package is lacking. This generation is soft and mentally weak. According to ur stance unless I'm misunderstanding it than right now would be the cream of the crop. It's not.
Lock thread asap.....

sacrilege. guys in the 1960s took the game as seriously if not more seriously than today. proof is in the picture below.

dawson.jpg

Last edited:
1652884410906.jpeg

Imagine this guy, the starting QB on the defending National championship team, the guy who was good enough to beat Bama, trying to complete passes against an NFL defense.

Lmao.

You’re delusional if you think a team full of grown savage *** men who are basically paid mercenaries, wouldn’t wipe the floor with any college team.

Advertisement
Jesus.....is that Len Dawson smoking a joint??
no way jose. it is a regular cigarette (focus in and you can see the tan filter). no one smoked joints back then. no one. not one person.

did you not also notice the beer or soda pop?

btw, IIRC that was during half time of Super Bowl I in 1967. yes, the f@cking super bowl. needless to say, the game was close at halftime, but in the second half the chiefs were held scoreless.

no way jose. it is a regular cigarette (focus in and you can see the tan filter). no one smoked joints back then. no one. not one person.

did you not also notice the beer or soda pop?

btw, IIRC that was during half time of Super Bowl I in 1967. yes, the f@cking super bowl. needless to say, the game was close at halftime, but in the second half the chiefs were held scoreless.
2CCA7CAE-394F-48FF-B647-D46168C1F647.gif

Always seems silly to compare eras. Sure, today's NFL players are bigger, stronger, faster, train smarter, eat better, have the best PEDs, whatever. So what?

Fans who are students of the NFL should appreciate the players and athletes of any era. And not just greats like Jim Brown or Johnny Unitas or Night Train Lane or whomever.

Respect that as recent as the mid-70s many players needed offseason jobs to support themselves and their families. No free agency. Little to no guaranteed money. Certainly not the generational money like we see today. Medical care wasn't as advanced as it is now. If you played then you truly had to love the game. Or were a sociopath (j/k). They laid the foundation for the spectacle we all love to watch, or some of us here played at a high level.

And to be clear, today's players deserve every penny and benefit they collectively get from the multi-billion dollar pie.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I talked with Sarge about this before cuz his closest comparison was Frank to Freddy. My question has always been your old heads speak forever about these dudes from when the competition level was nowhere near sufficient. You would have one person that was athletically Head and shoulders above 95% of his competition. It's like the talk about Bill Russell and Wilt Chamberlain yet everyone they were playing was athletically inferior to them. How can you judge someone's greatness off of that? That's not saying at all Freddy miles isn't exactly what he's been labeled as. It's just something I've always questioned about sports in general when people mention old people in how Superior they were opposed to players from 20 25 30 years ago who were playing with competition on par equivalent to theirs yet dominating in their fields. Obviously there's no way to ever get a true answer but it's always something I've been curious about mainly because of the running back standards when people speak about Earl Campbell Jim Brown Gale Sayers etc opposed to people like now or in my eyes the greatest ever do it Barry Sanders.
Do you think Barry would be as effective in the NFL today as he was in the 90’s?

Advertisement
Back