Some thoughts on UNC loss

Jaquan Johnson was a tackler, not a hitter, and he is playing on Monday Night Football tonight without half of the Williams Brothers' talent.

This is the one. I truly, truly am completely confused, flabbergasted, flummoxed....the most shocked adjective you can find about the total and utter regression with the older kids on this team. And miss me with only blaming Manny. That's so ridiculously short-sighted. Manny's defense is the same one that Quan Johnson flourished in. But as you said, he was a tackler. He was solid. He never missed an assignment. So why couldn't Carter figure it out? Why are Hall and Bolden worse today than they were at this time last year? It's not because Manny forgot how to coach. It's just something so incredibly odd, again I simply cannot wrap my mind around it.

Quan and Sheldrick have been collecting NFL checks with half the measurables of the kids I mentioned, and less than half of the Williams' or even Kinchens. Nothing they do athletically is elite. Yet, they're pros. Gurvan Hall is about to be going pro in catering. Why? And for someone like Bolden, isn't not like he's always sucked, the first half of last year he was a heat seeking missile, now he's completely invisible in games. What the **** happened to these kids?
The answer to the tackling question is obvious, it's about desire, most guys on this defense don't have it and are just going through the motions

Advertisement
Cam isn't slow. However, he has no vision or wiggle.

Patke is just stupid. Leave Keontra in until he needs a breather, dumbazz.

Bolden might as well be playing video games with Blades Jr. on Saturdays. But you play like you practice.

Advertisement
IDK either, and the tackling wasn't nearly as bad last year as it is today.

And it's MILES worse today than it was in 2016 - 2018, with the same guy coordinating it.

Why?
We were pretty good for the 1st half last year. Then it was about as bad as we see it now. UNC game guys were getting drug all over the place, just like this year. So maybe it all comes down to strength and conditioning+technique. Something is definitely amiss.

I'm serious. I've said it so many times recently. We're honestly cursed. I think it might be the OB, I'm not sure. Maybe it's the turnover chain. But no program on the planet takes 1 step forward and 2 steps back more than this one.
We cursed, that is one thing our fan base would all agree on.

I'm serious. I've said it so many times recently. We're honestly cursed. I think it might be the OB, I'm not sure. Maybe it's the turnover chain. But no program on the planet takes 1 step forward and 2 steps back more than this one.
We're only cursed with bad decision making by our BOT's/Admin/AD's. They make a good hire and this program will heal like Wolverine.

Advertisement
He has documented times of 4.5 and 4.6 in HS, where do you see 4.7? Regardless of the HS time, what does a time that was taken 3-4 years ago have to do with his speed and what we see NOW? After years of a college S&C program?

You are probably the only person on this board who would label him slow, but do you. He is many things, no vision, scared/timid, no burst, stiff...but when he squares his shoulders and gets going, the kid has pulled away plenty.

As for the post, good stuff D. Agree on JHH, he has far and away been our best and most consistent guy. One of the few that hasn't regressed after showing promise last season.

Advertisement
I've heard the same as others- influential people are upset. It's more than just the names we always hear about.

This coaching search reminds me of 2016. They will really have to sell the commitment of the university. Don't know how you do that with Blake.

85 South Praying GIF by BET Hip Hop Awards

- Let's start with the obvious. I'm where everyone else is on Manny- it does no good to keep him. If anything, he's a distraction. I know many fans had mixed emotions even as we cheered on the Canes comeback. To quote my man @Alex Jones, stop the bleeding. Let the fanbase focus on supporting the kids on the field with no other worries. My guess is that NC State ends it next week. When the stinker happens, we'll know. I thought we would quit at 28-10, but credit the team for showing heart.

- I'm not surprised Manny failed, but I am surprised at how quickly the seniors and super seniors on this team collapsed. This was a ranked team last year with the same kids. Aside from a couple James Williams shoulderblocks, the older guys were responsible for most of the bad tackling we saw on Saturday. It's not just a talent issue with them. Most of them are blue-chip recruits with testing numbers. They just got worse.

- TVD is an incomplete grade right now, and I don't buy any definitive prediction on his future. On the positive side, he's huge, he has arm strength (really flashed on one of his throws out of bounds under pressure), he's an athlete and he cares. His natural athleticism wasn't showing in his early appearances but is starting to translate to the field. It should become even more of a factor as he gains confidence. The 2-point conversion was a Mahomes pass.

On the negative side, he can be robotic at times and did not display P5 level accuracy. A lot of it is purely mechanical. This is a guy who was a TE at times in high school and is not as polished as a guy like Garcia. When he's in rhythm, he throws strikes, but he can be too unbalanced and loose at other times. This also speaks to his upside. I've seen him in practice and he is not as inaccurate as what he's shown the last couple games. The one issue that concerns me is the release. Don't know if that can be overhauled at this stage.

- Cam Harris's injury is a downer. He was going to get an NFL shot and the injury complicates things. So many people focused on his negatives and ignored that he was our most productive runner (5.8 ypc) and our best pass blocker. Hoping for a speedy recovery there.

- The upside is we will see more of Rooster. He finally showed the explosion that we'd been waiting for. Cody Brown will get opportunities, but I hope Thad Franklin does what he needs to do to get on the field. He brings a different dimension talent-wise.

- James Williams was suplexing people like Kurt Angle. His mistakes are correctable and he will need a strong coach. The things you can't coach--size, twitch, instincts and fire--are there in abundance. Him and Avantae Williams are going to be the Bash Brothers next week, but it doesn't mean anything if you don't bring the ballcarrier to the ground. Jaquan Johnson was a tackler, not a hitter, and he is playing on Monday Night Football tonight without half of the Williams Brothers' talent.

- Aside from Hedley, Jared Harrison-Hunte is the best player on the team right now. Consistently disruptive with sneaky power. Him and Leonard Taylor can become forces for the next coach with a strong summer in the weight room.

- Chantz Williams still needs a lot of work handling blockers. He has natural length, anchor and strong hands, but too often gets stuck on blocks in the run and pass game. At least he's getting experience in a lost season.

- This is the worst group of LBs in my 30 years as a fan. Some of it is injuries, some is bad recruiting. Keontra Smith is the best by a mile and this board moved him to LB a full year before the coaches did. Transfers are needed.

See you at the Rock on Saturday.
Good lawd could we use some Jaquan Johnson!

This was back when the TO chain was still cool.

Seems like eons ago 😂

Advertisement
That’s the best description of cam in this entire thread.
Haha. Thanks. People on this site have been mistaking quickness and speed forever.

There's quicks and there's speed. Some guys have 1 and not the other. And some have both (Hester, Tyreek).

For comparison sake, DJ Dallas ran a 4.58 (slower than Cam's ) but DJ had quicks so his "speed" was never questioned. He played faster in short areas.

- Let's start with the obvious. I'm where everyone else is on Manny- it does no good to keep him. If anything, he's a distraction. I know many fans had mixed emotions even as we cheered on the Canes comeback. To quote my man @Alex Jones, stop the bleeding. Let the fanbase focus on supporting the kids on the field with no other worries. My guess is that NC State ends it next week. When the stinker happens, we'll know. I thought we would quit at 28-10, but credit the team for showing heart.

- I'm not surprised Manny failed, but I am surprised at how quickly the seniors and super seniors on this team collapsed. This was a ranked team last year with the same kids. Aside from a couple James Williams shoulderblocks, the older guys were responsible for most of the bad tackling we saw on Saturday. It's not just a talent issue with them. Most of them are blue-chip recruits with testing numbers. They just got worse.

- TVD is an incomplete grade right now, and I don't buy any definitive prediction on his future. On the positive side, he's huge, he has arm strength (really flashed on one of his throws out of bounds under pressure), he's an athlete and he cares. His natural athleticism wasn't showing in his early appearances but is starting to translate to the field. It should become even more of a factor as he gains confidence. The 2-point conversion was a Mahomes pass.

On the negative side, he can be robotic at times and did not display P5 level accuracy. A lot of it is purely mechanical. This is a guy who was a TE at times in high school and is not as polished as a guy like Garcia. When he's in rhythm, he throws strikes, but he can be too unbalanced and loose at other times. This also speaks to his upside. I've seen him in practice and he is not as inaccurate as what he's shown the last couple games. The one issue that concerns me is the release. Don't know if that can be overhauled at this stage.

- Cam Harris's injury is a downer. He was going to get an NFL shot and the injury complicates things. So many people focused on his negatives and ignored that he was our most productive runner (5.8 ypc) and our best pass blocker. Hoping for a speedy recovery there.

- The upside is we will see more of Rooster. He finally showed the explosion that we'd been waiting for. Cody Brown will get opportunities, but I hope Thad Franklin does what he needs to do to get on the field. He brings a different dimension talent-wise.

- James Williams was suplexing people like Kurt Angle. His mistakes are correctable and he will need a strong coach. The things you can't coach--size, twitch, instincts and fire--are there in abundance. Him and Avantae Williams are going to be the Bash Brothers next week, but it doesn't mean anything if you don't bring the ballcarrier to the ground. Jaquan Johnson was a tackler, not a hitter, and he is playing on Monday Night Football tonight without half of the Williams Brothers' talent.

- Aside from Hedley, Jared Harrison-Hunte is the best player on the team right now. Consistently disruptive with sneaky power. Him and Leonard Taylor can become forces for the next coach with a strong summer in the weight room.

- Chantz Williams still needs a lot of work handling blockers. He has natural length, anchor and strong hands, but too often gets stuck on blocks in the run and pass game. At least he's getting experience in a lost season.

- This is the worst group of LBs in my 30 years as a fan. Some of it is injuries, some is bad recruiting. Keontra Smith is the best by a mile and this board moved him to LB a full year before the coaches did. Transfers are needed.

See you at the Rock on Saturday.
When are we going to get a D-Money top 5 HC candidates?

Advertisement
Back