Some thoughts on UNC loss

Advertisement
I know most fans are somewhat "happy" that Cam is out so Knighton and the young'ns can get more carries but we are literally one blown blocked assignment by one of them from having Matocha be the starter for the rest of the season. Cam will be the "Dont know what you had until it was gone" and Im really hoping im wrong here.

Our next DC and OC will not have a bare cupboard. There is alot of young talent to work with. Many of them will know it because they recruited some of these same kids. This isnt a 3 year rebuild. A great coach and some really good coordinators (dont even need to be great..just be really good) can get this team to 10 wins next year.

Question for the op. Slow start on offense more on play calling or TVD? I think more on game plan to start the game which includes play calls.

Advertisement
I agree it has to be something. But I just said in another thread, Quan never missed a tackle. The DC is the same guy. Why was he so solid and the current kids so bad? Bandy was a good tackler his first year or two as a 5'3 145 pounder. Now we don't have anyone who can tackle anybody? Is it really possible that the entire fundamentals have changed from when he got here to now?
I can't answer it either. Only thing I can ever think is all the targeting penalties we got changed some tackling philosophy or something. Or maybe some guys, aren't coachable, and with this staff they shine. Take Kinchens for instance, I don't think Manny could turn him into Hall part 2.

Advertisement
- Let's start with the obvious. I'm where everyone else is on Manny- it does no good to keep him. If anything, he's a distraction. I know many fans had mixed emotions even as we cheered on the Canes comeback. To quote my man @Alex Jones, stop the bleeding. Let the fanbase focus on supporting the kids on the field with no other worries. My guess is that NC State ends it next week. When the stinker happens, we'll know. I thought we would quit at 28-10, but credit the team for showing heart.

- I'm not surprised Manny failed, but I am surprised at how quickly the seniors and super seniors on this team collapsed. This was a ranked team last year with the same kids. Aside from a couple James Williams shoulderblocks, the older guys were responsible for most of the bad tackling we saw on Saturday. It's not just a talent issue with them. Most of them are blue-chip recruits with testing numbers. They just got worse.

- TVD is an incomplete grade right now, and I don't buy any definitive prediction on his future. On the positive side, he's huge, he has arm strength (really flashed on one of his throws out of bounds under pressure), he's an athlete and he cares. His natural athleticism wasn't showing in his early appearances but is starting to translate to the field. It should become even more of a factor as he gains confidence. The 2-point conversion was a Mahomes pass.

On the negative side, he can be robotic at times and did not display P5 level accuracy. A lot of it is purely mechanical. This is a guy who was a TE at times in high school and is not as polished as a guy like Garcia. When he's in rhythm, he throws strikes, but he can be too unbalanced and loose at other times. This also speaks to his upside. I've seen him in practice and he is not as inaccurate as what he's shown the last couple games. The one issue that concerns me is the release. Don't know if that can be overhauled at this stage.

- Cam Harris's injury is a downer. He was going to get an NFL shot and the injury complicates things. So many people focused on his negatives and ignored that he was our most productive runner (5.8 ypc) and our best pass blocker. Hoping for a speedy recovery there.

- The upside is we will see more of Rooster. He finally showed the explosion that we'd been waiting for. Cody Brown will get opportunities, but I hope Thad Franklin does what he needs to do to get on the field. He brings a different dimension talent-wise.

- James Williams was suplexing people like Kurt Angle. His mistakes are correctable and he will need a strong coach. The things you can't coach--size, twitch, instincts and fire--are there in abundance. Him and Avantae Williams are going to be the Bash Brothers next week, but it doesn't mean anything if you don't bring the ballcarrier to the ground. Jaquan Johnson was a tackler, not a hitter, and he is playing on Monday Night Football tonight without half of the Williams Brothers' talent.

- Aside from Hedley, Jared Harrison-Hunte is the best player on the team right now. Consistently disruptive with sneaky power. Him and Leonard Taylor can become forces for the next coach with a strong summer in the weight room.

- Chantz Williams still needs a lot of work handling blockers. He has natural length, anchor and strong hands, but too often gets stuck on blocks in the run and pass game. At least he's getting experience in a lost season.

- This is the worst group of LBs in my 30 years as a fan. Some of it is injuries, some is bad recruiting. Keontra Smith is the best by a mile and this board moved him to LB a full year before the coaches did. Transfers are needed.

See you at the Rock on Saturday.
Spot on analysis!

Regarding LB's the new coach HAS to hit the portal like the Allies at Normandy for at least 2 stud LB's. Maybe 3.

D$, are you hearing any movements from the AD's office, BOT's or administration with firing Manny? Are there substantiated rumor that they've at least begun negotiating a buyout with Manny? Anything about the future of the program? Crumbs will suffice.

Advertisement
D$, are you hearing any movements from the AD's office, BOT's or administration with firing Manny? Are there substantiated rumor that they've at least begun negotiating a buyout with Manny? Anything about the future of the program? Crumbs will suffice.
I've heard the same as others- influential people are upset. It's more than just the names we always hear about.

This coaching search reminds me of 2016. They will really have to sell the commitment of the university. Don't know how you do that with Blake.

***** hilarious. Guy is caught from behind a ton of ******* times and can’t make a move in the open field but he’s “fast”. What kind of drugs do y’all take on a daily basis?

Advertisement
Don’t see any lies D$. Spot on analysis of TVD and LB play. Any update on Garcia return? Would like to see more Thad too.

Advertisement
Back