Some thoughts on UNC loss

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
- Let's start with the obvious. I'm where everyone else is on Manny- it does no good to keep him. If anything, he's a distraction. I know many fans had mixed emotions even as we cheered on the Canes comeback. To quote my man @Alex Jones, stop the bleeding. Let the fanbase focus on supporting the kids on the field with no other worries. My guess is that NC State ends it next week. When the stinker happens, we'll know. I thought we would quit at 28-10, but credit the team for showing heart.

- I'm not surprised Manny failed, but I am surprised at how quickly the seniors and super seniors on this team collapsed. This was a ranked team last year with the same kids. Aside from a couple James Williams shoulderblocks, the older guys were responsible for most of the bad tackling we saw on Saturday. It's not just a talent issue with them. Most of them are blue-chip recruits with testing numbers. They just got worse.

- TVD is an incomplete grade right now, and I don't buy any definitive prediction on his future. On the positive side, he's huge, he has arm strength (really flashed on one of his throws out of bounds under pressure), he's an athlete and he cares. His natural athleticism wasn't showing in his early appearances but is starting to translate to the field. It should become even more of a factor as he gains confidence. The 2-point conversion was a Mahomes pass.

On the negative side, he can be robotic at times and did not display P5 level accuracy. A lot of it is purely mechanical. This is a guy who was a TE at times in high school and is not as polished as a guy like Garcia. When he's in rhythm, he throws strikes, but he can be too unbalanced and loose at other times. This also speaks to his upside. I've seen him in practice and he is not as inaccurate as what he's shown the last couple games. The one issue that concerns me is the release. Don't know if that can be overhauled at this stage.

- Cam Harris's injury is a downer. He was going to get an NFL shot and the injury complicates things. So many people focused on his negatives and ignored that he was our most productive runner (5.8 ypc) and our best pass blocker. Hoping for a speedy recovery there.

- The upside is we will see more of Rooster. He finally showed the explosion that we'd been waiting for. Cody Brown will get opportunities, but I hope Thad Franklin does what he needs to do to get on the field. He brings a different dimension talent-wise.

- James Williams was suplexing people like Kurt Angle. His mistakes are correctable and he will need a strong coach. The things you can't coach--size, twitch, instincts and fire--are there in abundance. Him and Avantae Williams are going to be the Bash Brothers next week, but it doesn't mean anything if you don't bring the ballcarrier to the ground. Jaquan Johnson was a tackler, not a hitter, and he is playing on Monday Night Football tonight without half of the Williams Brothers' talent.

- Aside from Hedley, Jared Harrison-Hunte is the best player on the team right now. Consistently disruptive with sneaky power. Him and Leonard Taylor can become forces for the next coach with a strong summer in the weight room.

- Chantz Williams still needs a lot of work handling blockers. He has natural length, anchor and strong hands, but too often gets stuck on blocks in the run and pass game. At least he's getting experience in a lost season.

- This is the worst group of LBs in my 30 years as a fan. Some of it is injuries, some is bad recruiting. Keontra Smith is the best by a mile and this board moved him to LB a full year before the coaches did. Transfers are needed.

See you at the Rock on Saturday.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Jaquan Johnson was a tackler, not a hitter, and he is playing on Monday Night Football tonight without half of the Williams Brothers' talent.

This is the one. I truly, truly am completely confused, flabbergasted, flummoxed....the most shocked adjective you can find about the total and utter regression with the older kids on this team. And miss me with only blaming Manny. That's so ridiculously short-sighted. Manny's defense is the same one that Quan Johnson flourished in. But as you said, he was a tackler. He was solid. He never missed an assignment. So why couldn't Carter figure it out? Why are Hall and Bolden worse today than they were at this time last year? It's not because Manny forgot how to coach. It's just something so incredibly odd, again I simply cannot wrap my mind around it.

Quan and Sheldrick have been collecting NFL checks with half the measurables of the kids I mentioned, and less than half of the Williams' or even Kinchens. Nothing they do athletically is elite. Yet, they're pros. Gurvan Hall is about to be going pro in catering. Why? And for someone like Bolden, isn't not like he's always sucked, the first half of last year he was a heat seeking missile, now he's completely invisible in games. What the **** happened to these kids?

Flagg is a step too slow. Would love to see what Austin-Cave or Chase Smith (striker to LB) could do. Is it time to turn the page on Sam Brooks and Avery Huff getting extended looks at LB?
Did Brooks even travel? I forgot about him.

Jaquan Johnson was a tackler, not a hitter, and he is playing on Monday Night Football tonight without half of the Williams Brothers' talent.

This is the one. I truly, truly am completely confused, flabbergasted, flummoxed....the most shocked adjective you can find about the total and utter regression with the older kids on this team. And miss me with only blaming Manny. That's so ridiculously short-sighted. Manny's defense is the same one that Quan Johnson flourished in. But as you said, he was a tackler. He was solid. He never missed an assignment. So why couldn't Carter figure it out? Why are Hall and Bolden worse today than they were at this time last year? It's not because Manny forgot how to coach. It's just something so incredibly odd, again I simply cannot wrap my mind around it.

Quan and Sheldrick have been collecting NFL checks with half the measurables of the kids I mentioned, and less than half of the Williams' or even Kinchens. Nothing they do athletically is elite. Yet, they're pros. Gurvan Hall is about to be going pro in catering. Why? And for someone like Bolden, isn't not like he's always sucked, the first half of last year he was a heat seeking missile, now he's completely invisible in games. What the **** happened to these kids?
It has to be something they are teaching, perhaps to prevent targeting penalties?

Advertisement
- Let's start with the obvious. I'm where everyone else is on Manny- it does no good to keep him. If anything, he's a distraction. I know many fans had mixed emotions even as we cheered on the Canes comeback. To quote my man @Alex Jones, stop the bleeding. Let the fanbase focus on supporting the kids on the field with no other worries. My guess is that NC State ends it next week. When the stinker happens, we'll know. I thought we would quit at 28-10, but credit the team for showing heart.

- I'm not surprised Manny failed, but I am surprised at how quickly the seniors and super seniors on this team collapsed. This was a ranked team last year with the same kids. Aside from a couple James Williams shoulderblocks, the older guys were responsible for most of the bad tackling we saw on Saturday. It's not just a talent issue with them. Most of them are blue-chip recruits with testing numbers. They just got worse.

- TVD is an incomplete grade right now, and I don't buy any definitive prediction on his future. On the positive side, he's huge, he has arm strength (really flashed on one of his throws out of bounds under pressure), he's an athlete and he cares. His natural athleticism wasn't showing in his early appearances but is starting to translate to the field. It should become even more of a factor as he gains confidence. The 2-point conversion was a Mahomes pass.

On the negative side, he can be robotic at times and did not display P5 level accuracy. A lot of it is purely mechanical. This is a guy who was a TE at times in high school and is not as polished as a guy like Garcia. When he's in rhythm, he throws strikes, but he can be too unbalanced and loose at other times. This also speaks to his upside. I've seen him in practice and he is not as inaccurate as what he's shown the last couple games. The one issue that concerns me is the release. Don't know if that can be overhauled at this stage.

- Cam Harris's injury is a downer. He was going to get an NFL shot and the injury complicates things. So many people focused on his negatives and ignored that he was our most productive runner (5.8 ypc) and our best pass blocker. Hoping for a speedy recovery there.

- The upside is we will see more of Rooster. He finally showed the explosion that we'd been waiting for. Cody Brown will get opportunities, but I hope Thad Franklin does what he needs to do to get on the field. He brings a different dimension talent-wise.

- James Williams was suplexing people like Kurt Angle. His mistakes are correctable and he will need a strong coach. The things you can't coach--size, twitch, instincts and fire--are there in abundance. Him and Avantae Williams are going to be the Bash Brothers next week, but it doesn't mean anything if you don't bring the ballcarrier to the ground. Jaquan Johnson was a tackler, not a hitter, and he is playing on Monday Night Football tonight without half of the Williams Brothers' talent.

- Aside from Hedley, Jared Harrison-Hunte is the best player on the team right now. Consistently disruptive with sneaky power. Him and Leonard Taylor can become forces for the next coach with a strong summer in the weight room.

- Chantz Williams still needs a lot of work handling blockers. He has natural length, anchor and strong hands, but too often gets stuck on blocks in the run and pass game. At least he's getting experience in a lost season.

- This is the worst group of LBs in my 30 years as a fan. Some of it is injuries, some is bad recruiting. Keontra Smith is the best by a mile and this board moved him to LB a full year before the coaches did. Transfers are needed.

See you at the Rock on Saturday.
I agree on all the points you talked about. What happened to the seniors is all on coaching. I want the whole coaching to be overhauled to save the young talented players from becoming coaching casualty, again.
We need a strong minded tough coach who doesn't care about being liked by players or fans but commands their respect.

81,4,2,0 should not rotate off the field period. It’s obvious they are the best at each respective position group. Stop with the sympathy player rotation.

You already did them a solid by giving them a scholarship. No more solids. Strictly merit base PT.
I remember during the offseason dudes were arguing with me that he wasn’t our best DT but somehow Nesta was lol

Advertisement
It has to be something they are teaching, perhaps to prevent targeting penalties?

I agree it has to be something. But I just said in another thread, Quan never missed a tackle. The DC is the same guy. Why was he so solid and the current kids so bad? Bandy was a good tackler his first year or two as a 5'3 145 pounder. Now we don't have anyone who can tackle anybody? Is it really possible that the entire fundamentals have changed from when he got here to now?

Our D-Line future & DBs are solid. Need to fill via transfer portal and keep at least 2 of the DB recruits (Rogers & Graves).

If no recruits then transfer portal especially with LBs. This can be fixed quickly like Michigan State with the right coaching staff.
What we need a major overhaul with the exception of like 5 players and a few coaches.

Advertisement
Our victories last year came against teams that finished the year 6-3(UAB), 4-7, 3-6, 6-5, 8-4, 5-6, 2-9. The two times we had to play a team with half a pulse we got massacred.

Blame only yourselves if you bought into this being a top 50 team in the nation.

All love bro but the same can be said about your boy Corey Gaynor… nonetheless they are both canes and i hope they both get a shot at the next level.
I wasn’t a fan of Corey starting. His brother might be one of my best friends and he’s become my friend because of it but I also said when we were recruiting him that he shouldn’t be here.

Advertisement
Back