Some thoughts on Game 1

LBs and OL looked like we expected.

It was the DL, specifically the interior, that surprised me the most.

WRs were underwhelming.

DBs were also outside of Kam.

Strengths:
OL
LB
RB
Kam
DL (inside and outside)

Qs still: WRs. We have bodies there but not sure who's going to step up.

Concerns:
DB outside of Kam
Maybe it’s just me but another concern is how long our punter takes…maybe I’m used to Hadley but he seemed a half second slower

Advertisement
Lee gets to the next level in a blazing hurry, considering his size.
Sure does. I can’t believe how quick Cooper is. Some of those pulling plays were really impressive and that could come up big against A&Ms front

We have to get them in reaction mode instead of attacking and the misdirections and movement can do that

If there's one thing that's been consistent for about 20 years now, it's Miami beating themselves with undisciplined play. Fundamentally, we looked better than we have in a long time.

Great tackling for what seems like the first time in ages. Gap integrity. Proper angles. Setting the edge and defensive ends not running themselves out of the play. Not a single dropped pass. OL doing everything right except for the few dumb penalties. Running backs showing great vision.

Flagg will hurt us kid he continues to get PT. Really hoped we would see one of the other freshman LBers.

I noticed you got negative feedback on this post but I reluctantly have to agree. I’ve been hard on Flagg in the past but am rooting for him for his loyalty and as a kid who just grinds.

But when he was on the field last night I saw him do his classic run into the pile thing once again and just sighed. Need a TF to step up and take the second team MLB snaps quickly. They all looked good out there so I expect it will happen sooner rather than later.

Advertisement
Sure does. I can’t believe how quick Cooper is. Some of those pulling plays were really impressive and that could come up big against A&Ms front

We have to get them in reaction mode instead of attacking and the misdirections and movement can do that

Cooper on pulls was legit NFL tape. Humans that big are not supposed to pull backside like that.

Pros
We have SIZE…..not sure how it happened so fast but thank you!
No drops by WR - big improvement
Tackling - light years more physical and consistent
Stable of RBs

Cons
Still have to many mental errors , the false starts need to be taken care of
Tvd????? Im not a fan, hope HE isn’t the reason we lose games we shouldnt
Pace - play faster; I’m watching CO v TCU and wish we could go go go at that pace w out players

Overall
Thrilled we turned over 41 players
And are playing freshman!!

Advertisement
Any one notice TVD with a different throwing motion on his passes? There were a few plays where he was side arming it. Maybe it’s the finger, maybe he’s watching too much Patrick Mahomes film?
He’s always had a kind of 3/4 arm release, but I’d say in 2023 it’s pretty common for QBs to throw from multiple arm angles based on play type, especially if youre throwing a lot of screens like last night

On defense
The guys did not look confused and actually knew what they were doing
This allowed them to play fast and downhill
And the tackling was 180 different
for that alone Guidry is the goods

Even when we shut teams down by manny
The other teams would drive and get first downs and be bailed out by dropping a pass or penalty

At the end of the game
That 4th down run
They convert that all day under the last two dcs
Unbelievable how much it improved

I hope the offensive line can control the LOS especially in the run game like that vs better opponents. If they can it could be a good year

I thought the defense played great, especially the front 7. On offense the Oline and RB were really good. Receivers and TVD were fine. Biggest issue I see on offense is we still need more speed. Really going to need Ray Ray and Harrell to play more. Need to get some easy 1’s and not have to work for everything every drive.

Advertisement
Pros
We have SIZE…..not sure how it happened so fast but thank you!
No drops by WR - big improvement
Tackling - light years more physical and consistent
Stable of RBs

Cons
Still have to many mental errors , the false starts need to be taken care of
Tvd????? Im not a fan, hope HE isn’t the reason we lose games we shouldnt
Pace - play faster; I’m watching CO v TCU and wish we could go go go at that pace w out players

Overall
Thrilled we turned over 41 players
And are playing freshman!!
The false starts are something to keep an eye on but I’m not worried. The first game of the season usually has procedural penalties. Now against 8&4 and we see that many? That’s concerning

I noticed you got negative feedback on this post but I reluctantly have to agree. I’ve been hard on Flagg in the past but am rooting for him for his loyalty and as a kid who just grinds.

But when he was on the field last night I saw him do his classic run into the pile thing once again and just sighed. Need a TF to step up and take the second team MLB snaps quickly. They all looked good out there so I expect it will happen sooner rather than later.
The truth hurts especially when the kid is a hard worker and good overall person. I have nothing against him as a person but he just isn’t fast enough. Anyone disagreeing maybe was seeing something I didn’t see. I’m fine being wrong but we’ve seen this before.

@DMoney
My apologies if this has already been discussed but is this index finger injury a cracked/ broken bone or was it bent awkwardly and its a ligament issue? Or a combination of both? If he did stress a ligament I don't see foresee this going away anytime soon if he continues to throw. Any CIS doctors out there?
From what people have said, he just jammed it. So a bone bruise. It will heal.

Advertisement
We need the threat of a pass catching threat at TE.

It’s nice that our big tree out there opened up some running lanes.

But that isn’t going to work against Texas A&M.
It actually worked last year with a tiny Oline. So I don’t see why It can’t work again with the giants we have now and the much much better RB room we got now.

It actually worked last year with a tiny Oline. So I don’t see why It can’t work again with the giants we have now and the much much better RB room we got now.

It worked? How many points we score on them last year?

This is gonna sound like ridiculous Kool aid hyperbole nonsense but rewatching this game, Mauigoas performance is the most impressive LB play I remember since Perryman

I don’t know where he sits when it comes to guys like DP, Shaq when it comes to physical gifts, but he was an absolute general out there last night

We will see when the competition steps up though of course
Not ridiculous. We haven’t an nfl quality linebacker since DP. We have been bad there for a while

The truth hurts especially when the kid is a hard worker and good overall person. I have nothing against him as a person but he just isn’t fast enough. Anyone disagreeing maybe was seeing something I didn’t see. I’m fine being wrong but we’ve seen this before.
Couldn’t agree more! He just isn’t athletic or big enough to make the plays required of his second team status as of now. Dude will definitely hurt us against A&M and those are the facts. God willing chase smith takes that second team MLB spot asap.

Advertisement
Back