Some thoughts on Game 1

View as article
The run always sets up the pass, if you can’t run, you’re dead In the water. We ran for 175 yards on TAMU last year with a tiny Oline and subpar backfield. The reason we couldn’t score is our “open because of our running success” wide receivers couldn’t catch the ball. Those are the facts from that game.
It works both ways. The pass sets up the ran just as much as the run sets up the pass. In today's game you need to do both well to be a good team.

Advertisement
It works both ways. The pass sets up the ran just as much as the run sets up the pass. In today's game you need to do both well to be a good team.
Yup.
It was actually the pass that setup the run in this Miami game.

Miami Ohio played a ton of 5-man boxes with off coverage to take away our ability to pass. This helped us excel in the run game.

No one should be making any judgements on the passing game. New Mexico challenge 8&4 more than Ohio Miami did us. They were determined to not get beat deep, there is not a single pass down where they came up to challenge the WRs. We have to get rid of the penalties but im encouraged by the run game and defense. With 13 mins left in the game they had 120 yards. We havent had game control like that in a while. Btw u can have a big lead and not have game control. We had that throughout.

Btw there is a alot of talent brought in but every time i see Mark Fletcher i laugh out loud.Why? I was totally sleeping on him in recruiting. He looks like the RBs Bama use to beat people to sleep. He is a bonafided star. Good luck trying to tackle him. But no one did cuz the OL was just clearing everyone out. 8&4 what u got?

This team looks different. I'm not even talking about the results. This team looked different in pads. The physical improvement, particularly at OL and LB, is already obvious. We looked like a blue blood playing a G5 team. That hasn't always been the case. The bottom line on Friday: we doubled the spread and nobody got hurt. A very good start.

Let's go position by position:

- Aside from a bad pick where he didn't see the defender, Tyler Van Dyke was efficient in taking what was given to him. Miami (Ohio) played way off and gave us the short stuff, and Van Dyke went 17/22 as a result. Now that the film is out, we can talk about TVD's index finger. His velocity wasn't quite 100% and Texas A&M will challenge his ability to drive throws. He has a week to keep healing. As reported on the CanesInSight Podcast, Emory Williams is the backup QB. There are people in the building who think he can be a legitimate star behind an elite OL. He's been spreading the ball all over Greentree with vision and poise. Still too early to make any judgments without a real pass rush and actual stakes, but he showed off his velocity (which surprised me in spring) and size.

- Three running backs had nine carries and another had eight. The team ran for 250 yards at 6.9 ypc without any run over 40 yards. It was a punishing performance by the entire group. Henry Parrish is rock-solid and already had success against Texas A&M last year. Ajay Allen is an urgent runner with a sharp upfield cut. Mark Fletcher showed off his speed at 230 and is going to be a second-half weapon. Happy to see Don Chaney explode for a TD. As a champion high jumper, he has a unique ability to make a jump cut from gap to gap. And once he has a runway, he has the speed and size to finish.

- No drops from the wide receiver group. As we've discussed all year, Colbie Young has really slimmed down and jumped to another level in terms of speed. This is a guy who ran 5.0 out of high school and is dusting guys now. I'm an unashamed Xavier Restrepo believer. He made a one-handed catch, he works back to the QB (see his scramble-drill catch on the free play), he runs with physicality and is just very passer-friendly. More than anything, he's a football-playing fool and was going 100 MPH on every downfield block. He's the biggest reason the Young catch was a TD instead of a first down.

- Another number we saw on every big run was #84. Cam McCormick makes an impact as a blocker, both inline and on the move. Somebody that jumped out to me- freshman TE Riley Williams. He had a nice run after catch and also made a key block on the Chaney TD. Soft tissue injuries hurt him in camp, but he is an elite talent who could finish the year with a major role. We will see more from Elijah Arroyo (didn't dress) and Jaleel Skinner as the season goes on.

- The story of the game was the offensive line. This looks like Oregon, or better. Jalen Rivers flying down the field on a WR screen, Matt Lee making blocks at all levels, and Anez Cooper pulling on the Fletcher TD. It was bulls on parade. At one point, we had seven OL on the field at the same time: the starters, plus Matt McCoy (#81) and Samson Okunlola (#86) at tight end. Last year, we had up to four guys 6'3 or under playing. Now, everyone is a giant. This is a new era of Miami football.

- Two DL that impressed me- Jahfari Harvey and Jared Harrison-Hunte. Both guys are good athletes who have been working hard at Miami since 2019. Would love to see them have breakout senior seasons.

- The staff has transformed the linebacker room, physically. Ballcarriers are stopping in their tracks instead of falling forward. Francisco Mauigoa has elite size and is smart. There were a couple times when the QB broke contain and Mauigoa read him like a book. Wesley Bissainthe showed big-time burst on his first career sack. KJ Cloyd continues to surprise people with his size and speed. He reminds me of Adrian Colbert- it's perplexing that he was not more productive at his prior stop given his tools. As reported by @Peter Ariz on the post-game podcast, there are NFL scouts inquiring on Cloyd. One freshman who stood out with his speed and instincts: Bobby Washington.

- The defensive backs had a nice game but remain the biggest question mark going forward. I was surprised to see Davonte Brown come off the bench- he was the only unquestioned starter at CB all camp. Te'Cory Couch and Jaden Davis made some nice plays on an island. Next week will be the test.

Overall, it was as clean of a start as possible. Let's pack the Rock next week.
Great stuff and thank you

Advertisement
We allowed 1 TFL the entire game, and it was late on a “sack” where Williams scrambled and got tripped up as he started to run for a 1 yard loss.

I haven’t looked, but I doubt we’ve had many games the last few years against anyone with 1 TFL allowed.

Miami OH offense is abysmal but their defense isn’t awful and they returned the whole team. No sacks on TVD and no negative runs is awesome.
I couldn't tell you brother. I'm not the one to ask for that. Maybe just trying to get him some game time experience?

am i the only one that thinks the game was nice but not very impressive? we out sized OH by a lot but didn't really shove them around. we had a bellow average day passing in term of yards, compared to the rest of the NCAA and a slightly above average run game. but take into account our OL out sized their whole DL by 30-50lbs each player a slightly above average day looks mediocre. granted TVD is slightly hurt... but QBs are putting up 500 yards vs similarly bad defenses...
And crappy weather.

Are you sending this message from 1970?
1693855091273.gif

Advertisement
It pained me to see Chaney at 4th running back.

The kid is a young marshawn lynch as we've seen long ago.

He has to be the #1 moving forward. The others are talented, but Chaney satisfies the need for urgency.
His vision didn't look all that great before his TD, albeit the backup line wasn't helping anything. Looks mental to me, I bet he gets better as the year progresses

It pained me to see Chaney at 4th running back.

The kid is a young marshawn lynch as we've seen long ago.

He has to be the #1 moving forward. The others are talented, but Chaney satisfies the need for urgency.
Was this intentional hyperbole? I've always felt he was a little too stiff & too high when taking on contact & because of that he always got stood up or knocked back. He was was better afa initiating contact on his td run.

Regardless, I loved what I saw from the running game against mOhio. All the backs were impressive. The line was a 180 from last year.

I don't care how the depth chart shakes out because I'm confident in all the backs. Though I do think the order they had this game is probably the best until someone shows they can't be taken off the field. My hope is that our leading rusher doesn't average over 15 carries because all our backs are doing a great job.

it was a solid B level performance as another poster said. Nothing wrong with that. We went out and beat a team who we should and suffocated them start to finish.

Turns out Guidry can teach our guys how to contain unlike any other coach lately. Breath of fresh air.
Curious to see DB/WR rotations for A&M I thought they were just ok

Exactly! And last year our passing game didn’t hold up.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back