Some thoughts on Game 1

View as article
am i the only one that thinks the game was nice but not very impressive? we out sized OH by a lot but didn't really shove them around. we had a bellow average day passing in term of yards, compared to the rest of the NCAA and a slightly above average run game. but take into account our OL out sized their whole DL by 30-50lbs each player a slightly above average day looks mediocre. granted TVD is slightly hurt... but QBs are putting up 500 yards vs similarly bad defenses...
I sorta agree but I still think it a was a decent showing...a solid B level performance. The running game was better than above average. The defense looks improved, although I'd like to see less Couch and pass rushers in coverage. Our OL are monsters in the run game who need to clean up their pass protection.

The passing game left A LOT to be desired, vanilla gameplan or not, especially if you compare it to everyone else. We seriously need more shiftier playmakers on that side of the ball. If Miami(OH) can take away passes down field what is our tougher competition going to do?

Advertisement
It strikes me more as an abundance of caution move. Staff knew we wouldn’t need him, so no point in aggravating an injury that’s easy to make worse. Let him heal up and have him ready for when it really matters.

I hope so. We badly need more big play potential guys on the field.

The WR core isn’t good enough to have to a statue at TE.

His blocking highlights seem to be impressing a lot of people. But that Wisconsin style attack got us one TD at halftime, and that came from a big chunk play, not bully ball. We need more of that to beat A&M.

am i the only one that thinks the game was nice but not very impressive? we out sized OH by a lot but didn't really shove them around. we had a bellow average day passing in term of yards, compared to the rest of the NCAA and a slightly above average run game. but take into account our OL out sized their whole DL by 30-50lbs each player a slightly above average day looks mediocre. granted TVD is slightly hurt... but QBs are putting up 500 yards vs similarly bad defenses...

rays-rats.gif

Advertisement
Not much I disagree on. Both lines looked pretty good. You pointed out that TVDs velocity wasn’t where it should be. Hopefully that changes before next week. Hopefully yesterday was very vanilla and TEs and the middle of the field gets used more going forward. OL looked very good except for the false starts. Should never have 4 in 1 game.

Guidry’s unit looked very good. They couldn’t run the ball and outside of the two deep bombs at the end(only one counted), they didn’t have much in the pass game. Definitely going to have to do a better job getting after Texas A&Ms QB although I’m sure Guidry was being vanilla as well.
Miami,(Ohio) relied on a quick short passing game that didn't allow for much pressure. They attempted very few deep passes. When they did, the pressure was there.

Similarly bad look up their numbers last year they were solid and brought back 9 starters. Go watch us lose to FIU and struggle with other similar teams then if this isn’t good enough

Advertisement
I only saw 1 ONE QB put up 500 yards yesterday and that was Deion Jr. Game 1 with a new offense against a decent G5 team.

I only saw 1 ONE QB put up 500 yards yesterday and that was Deion Jr. Game 1 with a new offense against a decent G5 team.

But they aren’t a decent G5 team. They are in the bottom tier of G5 teams.

They have one of the better defenses of G5 teams.

Advertisement
The point of an offense is not to bully the other team. It’s to score points.

The best way to do that is with explosive plays that don’t require you to bully your way down the field hand off to hand off.

It’s one why we had one TD at the half last night as well.

You only make scoring more difficult with a TE that gives you nothing in the passing game and allows the defense to crowd the box.
The run always sets up the pass, if you can’t run, you’re dead In the water. We ran for 175 yards on TAMU last year with a tiny Oline and subpar backfield. The reason we couldn’t score is our “open because of our running success” wide receivers couldn’t catch the ball. Those are the facts from that game.

Advertisement
The only one I saw who looked really green was Isaiah Horton #16. He just needs a little more situational awareness.

He wasn't looking for the ball at all on TVD's first miss. The 2nd would have been a TD if he knew where he was on the field. Instead he ran into the defender and fell down.

Chalk it up to being green an inexperienced. He'll be real good once he gets his SA up.
How is he ahead of Ladson? Or is Ladson hurt?

We allowed 1 TFL the entire game, and it was late on a “sack” where Williams scrambled and got tripped up as he started to run for a 1 yard loss.

I haven’t looked, but I doubt we’ve had many games the last few years against anyone with 1 TFL allowed.

Miami OH offense is abysmal but their defense isn’t awful and they returned the whole team. No sacks on TVD and no negative runs is awesome.

Southern Miss game last year was sloppy and we did not dominate that game at all.

Miami OH is a solid G5 team and will be bowl eligible.

This is at minimum an 8 win team. Especially watching the rest of the ACC. Next week will tell us how much we have improved.

TVD will determine how successful we are this season along with the WR, and DBs.

OL is very good with elite potential, will only continue to get better and will clean up mental mistakes. The DL and LBs were extremely impressive.

I expect next weekend to be a great matchup, hopefully we pack the stadium and TVD is healed. DBs will be tested but I trust Guidry to have that defense ready.

Advertisement
Back