Some thoughts on Game 1

It worked? How many points we score on them last year?
We move the ball on their defensive line at Will last year. If you can’t see that, then I don’t know what game you were watching and maybe you need to watch the tape again. Now scoring touchdowns in the red zone, it’s like we were allergic to that last year. But we played bullyball on the line of scrimmage with them last year, and we won that battle. Unfortunately our wide receivers couldn’t catch the ball last year against them as well.

Advertisement
We move the ball on their defensive line at Will last year. If you can’t see that, then I don’t know what game you were watching and maybe you need to watch the tape again. Now scoring touchdowns in the red zone, it’s like we were allergic to that last year. But we played bullyball on the line of scrimmage with them last year, and we won that battle. Unfortunately our wide receivers couldn’t catch the ball last year against them as well.

The point of an offense is not to bully the other team. It’s to score points.

The best way to do that is with explosive plays that don’t require you to bully your way down the field hand off to hand off.

It’s one why we had one TD at the half last night as well.

You only make scoring more difficult with a TE that gives you nothing in the passing game and allows the defense to crowd the box.

- “….he was the only unquestioned starter at CB all camp. Te'Cory Couch and Jaden Davis made some nice plays on an island. Next week will be the best.”
Is this a typo or a subtle prediction? I think the latter. Go canes.

Advertisement
The only one I saw who looked really green was Isaiah Horton #16. He just needs a little more situational awareness.

He wasn't looking for the ball at all on TVD's first miss. The 2nd would have been a TD if he knew where he was on the field. Instead he ran into the defender and fell down.

Chalk it up to being green an inexperienced. He'll be real good once he gets his SA up.
Horton likely earned his PT with blocking as he did a good job blocking all game. Problem is when the athletes/level of competition steps up next week, he will be a dead giveaway that we’re running if he’s on the field.

A&M DC will force us to throw it to him…..he’s going to have to figure out the passing game…and fast…or he’ll have to sit

Advertisement
This team looks different. I'm not even talking about the results. This team looked different in pads. The physical improvement, particularly at OL and LB, is already obvious. We looked like a blue blood playing a G5 team. That hasn't always been the case. The bottom line on Friday: we doubled the spread and nobody got hurt. A very good start.

Let's go position by position:

- Aside from a bad pick where he didn't see the defender, Tyler Van Dyke was efficient in taking what was given to him. Miami (Ohio) played way off and gave us the short stuff, and Van Dyke went 17/22 as a result. Now that the film is out, we can talk about TVD's index finger. His velocity wasn't quite 100% and Texas A&M will challenge his ability to drive throws. He has a week to keep healing. As reported on the CanesInSight Podcast, Emory Williams is the backup QB. There are people in the building who think he can be a legitimate star behind an elite OL. He's been spreading the ball all over Greentree with vision and poise. Still too early to make any judgments without a real pass rush and actual stakes, but he showed off his velocity (which surprised me in spring) and size.

- Three running backs had nine carries and another had eight. The team ran for 250 yards at 6.9 ypc without any run over 40 yards. It was a punishing performance by the entire group. Henry Parrish is rock-solid and already had success against Texas A&M last year. Ajay Allen is an urgent runner with a sharp upfield cut. Mark Fletcher showed off his speed at 230 and is going to be a second-half weapon. Happy to see Don Chaney explode for a TD. As a champion high jumper, he has a unique ability to make a jump cut from gap to gap. And once he has a runway, he has the speed and size to finish.

- No drops from the wide receiver group. As we've discussed all year, Colbie Young has really slimmed down and jumped to another level in terms of speed. This is a guy who ran 5.0 out of high school and is dusting guys now. I'm an unashamed Xavier Restrepo believer. He made a one-handed catch, he works back to the QB (see his scramble-drill catch on the free play), he runs with physicality and is just very passer-friendly. More than anything, he's a football-playing fool and was going 100 MPH on every downfield block. He's the biggest reason the Young catch was a TD instead of a first down.

- Another number we saw on every big run was #84. Cam McCormick makes an impact as a blocker, both inline and on the move. Somebody that jumped out to me- freshman TE Riley Williams. He had a nice run after catch and also made a key block on the Chaney TD. Soft tissue injuries hurt him in camp, but he is an elite talent who could finish the year with a major role. We will see more from Elijah Arroyo (didn't dress) and Jaleel Skinner as the season goes on.

- The story of the game was the offensive line. This looks like Oregon, or better. Jalen Rivers flying down the field on a WR screen, Matt Lee making blocks at all levels, and Anez Cooper pulling on the Fletcher TD. It was bulls on parade. At one point, we had seven OL on the field at the same time: the starters, plus Matt McCoy (#81) and Samson Okunlola (#86) at tight end. Last year, we had up to four guys 6'3 or under playing. Now, everyone is a giant. This is a new era of Miami football.

- Two DL that impressed me- Jahfari Harvey and Jared Harrison-Hunte. Both guys are good athletes who have been working hard at Miami since 2019. Would love to see them have breakout senior seasons.

- The staff has transformed the linebacker room, physically. Ballcarriers are stopping in their tracks instead of falling forward. Francisco Mauigoa has elite size and is smart. There were a couple times when the QB broke contain and Mauigoa read him like a book. Wesley Bissainthe showed big-time burst on his first career sack. KJ Cloyd continues to surprise people with his size and speed. He reminds me of Adrian Colbert- it's perplexing that he was not more productive at his prior stop given his tools. As reported by @Peter Ariz on the post-game podcast, there are NFL scouts inquiring on Cloyd. One freshman who stood out with his speed and instincts: Bobby Washington.

- The defensive backs had a nice game but remain the biggest question mark going forward. I was surprised to see Davonte Brown come off the bench- he was the only unquestioned starter at CB all camp. Te'Cory Couch and Jaden Davis made some nice plays on an island. Next week will be the test.

Overall, it was as clean of a start as possible. Let's pack the Rock next week

This team looks different. I'm not even talking about the results. This team looked different in pads. The physical improvement, particularly at OL and LB, is already obvious. We looked like a blue blood playing a G5 team. That hasn't always been the case. The bottom line on Friday: we doubled the spread and nobody got hurt. A very good start.

Let's go position by position:

- Aside from a bad pick where he didn't see the defender, Tyler Van Dyke was efficient in taking what was given to him. Miami (Ohio) played way off and gave us the short stuff, and Van Dyke went 17/22 as a result. Now that the film is out, we can talk about TVD's index finger. His velocity wasn't quite 100% and Texas A&M will challenge his ability to drive throws. He has a week to keep healing. As reported on the CanesInSight Podcast, Emory Williams is the backup QB. There are people in the building who think he can be a legitimate star behind an elite OL. He's been spreading the ball all over Greentree with vision and poise. Still too early to make any judgments without a real pass rush and actual stakes, but he showed off his velocity (which surprised me in spring) and size.

- Three running backs had nine carries and another had eight. The team ran for 250 yards at 6.9 ypc without any run over 40 yards. It was a punishing performance by the entire group. Henry Parrish is rock-solid and already had success against Texas A&M last year. Ajay Allen is an urgent runner with a sharp upfield cut. Mark Fletcher showed off his speed at 230 and is going to be a second-half weapon. Happy to see Don Chaney explode for a TD. As a champion high jumper, he has a unique ability to make a jump cut from gap to gap. And once he has a runway, he has the speed and size to finish.

- No drops from the wide receiver group. As we've discussed all year, Colbie Young has really slimmed down and jumped to another level in terms of speed. This is a guy who ran 5.0 out of high school and is dusting guys now. I'm an unashamed Xavier Restrepo believer. He made a one-handed catch, he works back to the QB (see his scramble-drill catch on the free play), he runs with physicality and is just very passer-friendly. More than anything, he's a football-playing fool and was going 100 MPH on every downfield block. He's the biggest reason the Young catch was a TD instead of a first down.

- Another number we saw on every big run was #84. Cam McCormick makes an impact as a blocker, both inline and on the move. Somebody that jumped out to me- freshman TE Riley Williams. He had a nice run after catch and also made a key block on the Chaney TD. Soft tissue injuries hurt him in camp, but he is an elite talent who could finish the year with a major role. We will see more from Elijah Arroyo (didn't dress) and Jaleel Skinner as the season goes on.

- The story of the game was the offensive line. This looks like Oregon, or better. Jalen Rivers flying down the field on a WR screen, Matt Lee making blocks at all levels, and Anez Cooper pulling on the Fletcher TD. It was bulls on parade. At one point, we had seven OL on the field at the same time: the starters, plus Matt McCoy (#81) and Samson Okunlola (#86) at tight end. Last year, we had up to four guys 6'3 or under playing. Now, everyone is a giant. This is a new era of Miami football.

- Two DL that impressed me- Jahfari Harvey and Jared Harrison-Hunte. Both guys are good athletes who have been working hard at Miami since 2019. Would love to see them have breakout senior seasons.

- The staff has transformed the linebacker room, physically. Ballcarriers are stopping in their tracks instead of falling forward. Francisco Mauigoa has elite size and is smart. There were a couple times when the QB broke contain and Mauigoa read him like a book. Wesley Bissainthe showed big-time burst on his first career sack. KJ Cloyd continues to surprise people with his size and speed. He reminds me of Adrian Colbert- it's perplexing that he was not more productive at his prior stop given his tools. As reported by @Peter Ariz on the post-game podcast, there are NFL scouts inquiring on Cloyd. One freshman who stood out with his speed and instincts: Bobby Washington.

- The defensive backs had a nice game but remain the biggest question mark going forward. I was surprised to see Davonte Brown come off the bench- he was the only unquestioned starter at CB all camp. Te'Cory Couch and Jaden Davis made some nice plays on an island. Next week will be the test.

Overall, it was as clean of a start as possible. Let's pack the Rock next week.
Why didnt we have tight ends over the middle if they were playing way off, we kept throwing to the edge. A little perplexing.

Couldn’t agree more! He just isn’t athletic or big enough to make the plays required of his second team status as of now. Dude will definitely hurt us against A&M and those are the facts. God willing chase smith takes that second team MLB spot asap.

Did Chase Smith play? I was looking for him but didn't see him. Admittedly I haven't gone back to replay the game to check again.

Couldn’t agree more! He just isn’t athletic or big enough to make the plays required of his second team status as of now. Dude will definitely hurt us against A&M and those are the facts. God willing chase smith takes that second team MLB spot asap.
I actually expect one of the bigger freshmen to take the 2nd team MLB spot. Chase is a will and may never see the field because he is behind the UL transfer, Wes, and Washington. Maybe he gets time at SAM behind K Smith.

Advertisement
am i the only one that thinks the game was nice but not very impressive? we out sized OH by a lot but didn't really shove them around. we had a bellow average day passing in term of yards, compared to the rest of the NCAA and a slightly above average run game. but take into account our OL out sized their whole DL by 30-50lbs each player a slightly above average day looks mediocre. granted TVD is slightly hurt... but QBs are putting up 500 yards vs similarly bad defenses...

am i the only one that thinks the game was nice but not very impressive? we out sized OH by a lot but didn't really shove them around. we had a bellow average day passing in term of yards, compared to the rest of the NCAA and a slightly above average run game. but take into account our OL out sized their whole DL by 30-50lbs each player a slightly above average day looks mediocre. granted TVD is slightly hurt... but QBs are putting up 500 yards vs similarly bad defenses...
Did you watch any Miami football last year?

We didn’t play Nevada, Arky State, New Mexico, Mercer or even Rice

We played a team that’s suppose to win their respective conference and had 9/11 starters returning on defense and 7/11 on offense including the QB

Last year we scored 30 against southern miss and they were far worse than Miami Ohio, we allowed 13 points to Bethune last year and 340+ yards as well and they didn’t even crack 220 against us last night.

It was pouring rain in the 1st half so our passing playbook shrunk a bit and we very blatantly used as vanilla of a passing scheme as possible. We averaged over 8.08 yards a play which was better than every game we played last year except Bethune (we averaged 8.92)

Bethune averaged 6.75 yards a play (!!!) while Miami Ohio averaged 4.22….

And notice how I’m comparing a top end G5 opponent to our FCS opponent from last year..

Advertisement
We didn’t play Nevada, Arky State, New Mexico, Mercer or even Rice

We played a team that’s suppose to win their respective conference and had 9/11 starters returning on defense and 7/11 on offense including the QB

Last year we scored 30 against southern miss and they were far worse than Miami Ohio, we allowed 13 points to Bethune last year and 340+ yards as well and they didn’t even crack 220 against us last night.

Southern Miss finished 75th last year in SP+.

Miami Oh finished 109th.

This year they were projected to finish 105th.

They are a pretty horrible team, propped up only by the fact that the MAC is the worst conference in all of college football when you look at the analytics.

Really excited to see what Guidry can do with this defense. Was in 302 and saw Wes coming right down the pipe on that 3rd down sack. Chaney’s run was the Cherry on top, pure “will not be denied”. I know it’s Miami of Ohio but you’re seeing guys finish. Lot of positives from last night.

Saturday will be fun.

I would have thought Arroyo would have at least played a little bit and definitely suited up just to get into game speed. Kind of like preseason NFL. I think the fact that he didn't even suit up (I think somebody said he was in street clothes?) means he has to be considered questionable to play this Saturday.
It strikes me more as an abundance of caution move. Staff knew we wouldn’t need him, so no point in aggravating an injury that’s easy to make worse. Let him heal up and have him ready for when it really matters.

Advertisement
Back