Some positive notes

My take is that the Gus hate started early because Golden went to NY to get a running back. Same thing with Berrios -- going to NC to get a slot receiver. These are positions that are loaded in South Florida.

They better be exceptional and exceptional quick because the local fans won't tolerate out of state under-performers at these positions. Haters were quick to rush judgement and unbiased fans have to over-inflate to justify them on the team.
Agree with you 100%. Non-Florida skill players will always have an uphill battle here, but all they gotta do is ACTUALLY impress...just look at Njoku.

Advertisement
Best thing about Gus is that he can be a power back but at the same time a homerun back as well. We missed his speed last year

Last edited:
I will say, I have always thought Gus had talent. I will admit I was interested in seeing him in a full time role. I see a good burst in a big back. He is faster than the other guys, except maybe Choc. I hope the kid has a big year. I could see it happening. I could also see three guys get like 600-900 yards a piece. But having Gus here will surely not make the team worse.

Best thing about Gus is that he can be a power back but at the same time a homerun back as well. We missed his speed last year

He may be relatively big, but he has not demonstrated anything akin to being a power back, especially with his high pad level. If anything, he attempts to bounce it outside more than hit the hole.

And I don't recall any history of him as a homerun back. How many TD runs does he have exceeding 20 yards?

He may be relatively big, but he has not demonstrated anything akin to being a power back, especially with his high pad level. If anything, he attempts to bounce it outside more than hit the hole.

And I don't recall any history of him as a homerun back. How many TD runs does he have exceeding 20 yards?
And I implied that he can be a power back because of his size I didn't say that he has showed that.

At least like 3 from his sophmore year. I didn't count his freshman year yet.
40 yard td from cincinatti
38 yard td from va tech
26yard td from Arkansas state
And a numerous amount of runs over 10 yards. He was underused in dukes comeback season in 2014 as well as another tailback like yearby being in the rotation as well

Advertisement

At least 3 20+ TD runs in 2014 according to ESPN Gus Edwards Stats, News, Videos, Pictures, Bio - Miami Hurricanes - ESPN

Not bad on only 60 something carries.

A healthy Gus Edwards is Miami's fastest running back. It's unfortunate that at 240 lbs, he can't run behind his pads better but there's always room for improvement. He was slated to be UM's #1 back before injuring his foot last season. He'll split the carries so there's no way he'll approach Henry's freakish numbers but I think he'll play well. Maybe a better comparison would be a poor man's Derrick Henry.

LMAO at this Gus Edwards shlt still existing.

I'm excited to read this board 10 years from now. "I'm telling you haters, Gus Edwards finna have a breakout year. daw. He number 3 on the Saskatchewan Beavers depth chart but he's ready to lead them to a CFL title. Keep sleeping on him."

He's a ******* stiff from NY that should be playing FB for Villanova. I'm tired of hearing about this dude. He'll be, at best, third on the team in rushing.

Advertisement
Kevin Beard thinks Lawrence Cager can be the best WR ever to come out of Miami.

Heard that from a very good source.

I like Gus but he just don't have "IT". He is not a natural TB. He's probably better suited as a FB. He runs too straight up. After a year of coaching he should be able to run lower. Secondly, he can't make the first defender miss. This is an early sign that he doesn't have the lateral quickness needed at the TB position. Running straight ahead dives and short yardage is about all that he'll ever be. Starters will be Yearby, Walton and Gus.

So a guy who runs upright would be better suited to play FB where you block on every play and need leverage? Goofballs crack me up. There have been many upright runners who have been great RBs. Adrian Peterson and Eric ****erson come to mind immediately. Gus isn't those guys, but he's a talented RB who should do well this year.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Richt use Walton like he did Sony in the slot as a receiver because Gus and Yearby should be 1 and 2 at RB, and Brown already said he only likes to use 2 RBs.

I like Gus but he just don't have "IT". He is not a natural TB. He's probably better suited as a FB. He runs too straight up. After a year of coaching he should be able to run lower. Secondly, he can't make the first defender miss. This is an early sign that he doesn't have the lateral quickness needed at the TB position. Running straight ahead dives and short yardage is about all that he'll ever be. Starters will be Yearby, Walton and Gus.

So a guy who runs upright would be better suited to play FB where you block on every play and need leverage? Goofballs crack me up. There have been many upright runners who have been great RBs. Adrian Peterson and Eric ****erson come to mind immediately. Gus isn't those guys, but he's a talented RB who should do well this year.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Richt use Walton like he did Sony in the slot as a receiver because Gus and Yearby should be 1 and 2 at RB, and Brown already said he only likes to use 2 RBs.
HEY!! Doesn't Derrick Henry run too high too?? maybe Saban should've made him a FB [MENTION=4841]The Franchise[/MENTION]

HEY!! Doesn't Derrick Henry run too high too?? maybe Saban should've made him a FB [MENTION=4841]The Franchise[/MENTION]

All this "he runs too high" **** is a bunch of dopes parroting Maddenisms. Henry ran completely upright like he had a spine made of rebar.

Either you're a good RB or you aren't. This upright **** is retarded. I understand being skeptical of him, but he was behind some NFL RBs here and was set to start last year until he got hurt.

I happen to be in the minority on Gus. I think he's talented and could wind up having a very good year if he stays healthy.

Advertisement

All this "he runs too high" **** is a bunch of dopes parroting Maddenisms. Henry ran completely upright like he had a spine made of rebar.

Either you're a good RB or you aren't. This upright **** is retarded. I understand being skeptical of him, but he was behind some NFL RBs here and was set to start last year until he got hurt.

I happen to be in the minority on Gus. I think he's talented and could wind up having a very good year if he stays healthy.
Agree

Right, and he isn't a good RB. Simple as that.

Good thing about this is it's all opinion no matter how we phrase our opinion. He'll have his chance to prove which opinion is right this year.

Advertisement

his 5.7 average ypc( yards per carry ) says differently

Gus wouldn't have fared very well running behind last year's OL. He had the benefit of Brandon Linder, Seantrel, Flowers, Feliciano his first two seasons here. I think the OL will be better but I just don't see Gus as being instinctual enough to ever be a true workhorse.

I think Gus Edwards will be very good, but it's hard to string together the comments "legitimate source" and "gus edwards is better than derrick henry"

Derrick Henry was a 5 star, dominated at Bama and won the Heisman. Now likely a 2nd round pick. I'm not sure Gus is at that level.

Advertisement
Back