Some positive notes

Edwards played well in the limited time he got as a frosh and soph. I'm not sure what the reasoning behind the "he sucks, he should play fullback" talk is. What, he's not from south Florida so he's a bum? If anything, he looked way better as a runner than Walton, albeit behind a better line.

Advertisement
Let me say this out loud, 'cause I wanna get it straight in my head.

Our staff legit thinks that Gus will be better than Derrick Henry?

Is that what you're telling me? Is it???

As much as I like Gus and would like for him to have a breakout year we need to have perspective.

Gus has not done ANYTHING of substance YET in Miami. So far average at best compared to our all time greats.

Comparing him to Henry is unfair and simply outlandish.

Having said that I will surely be the first one to acknowledge you if he even comes close.

Gus is a average college back at best, nothing special, at least so far. He does have size and speed, and if he learned to play to his size he could be a good college back, maybe very good.

Anyone saying he's 'better than Derrick Henry' is likely just trying to motivate Gus by comparing him to last year's Heisman winner.

As much as I like Gus and would like for him to have a breakout year we need to have perspective.

Gus has not done ANYTHING of substance YET in Miami. So far average at best compared to our all time greats.

Having said that I will surely be the first one to acknowledge you if he even comes close.

Wrong. He has 5.7 ypc for like 300 yards.

He's clearly on the level of Henry.

Advertisement

Wrong. He has 5.7 ypc for like 300 yards.

He's clearly on the level of Henry.
5.7 yards ypc doesn't mean he's Derrick Henry, but it does mean that he's doing something that involves not sucking

Scout players go against our first team kids. It is usually red shirts who are on the scout team. It kinda sux! You get to be dummies for first team. Sounds like Willis wasn't a dummy!!

I don't think it is that far fetched to say Edwards can be our "Derrick Henry" when we play most of the defenses on our schedule.
However, he just does not have Henry's talent nor has performed well in big games against elite teams. Nor does he have the I am going to run over you type of mentality.

I hope that changes though. Would be nice.

I don't think it is that far fetched to say Edwards can be our "Derrick Henry" when we play most of the defenses on our schedule.
However, he just does not have Henry's talent nor has performed well in big games against elite teams. Nor does he have the I am going to run over you type of mentality.

2 ways to look at it though in his sophmore season he was in a crowded backfield with majority of the carries going to Duke and yearby. When he did play he ran hard and showed some ability defintitely more than he showed as a freshman imo

Advertisement

When he did play he ran hard and showed some ability definitely more than he showed as a freshman imo

I agree. The game at the Hokies showed flashes of how good this guy can be. If he can play every game as he did in Blacksburg he could have a very big year.

2 ways to look at it though in his sophmore season he was in a crowded backfield with majority of the carries going to Duke and yearby. When he did play he ran hard and showed some ability defintitely more than he showed as a freshman imo

For all we know, Gus Edwards could be more like Ezekiel Elliot...If he has a low amount of carries he's an average back...but once you ask him to carry majority of the load and get him in rhythm he could be dangerous. That's what made me ****ed about Coley.. I remember being at the Duke game and the whole Miami sideline was hyping up Yearby and he was getting chunk yards for like 4-5 plays in a row...then he needed a breather but never got put back in that same drive, they just let Walton finish the drive for what ever reason.

I like Gus but he just don't have "IT". He is not a natural TB. He's probably better suited as a FB. He runs too straight up. After a year of coaching he should be able to run lower. Secondly, he can't make the first defender miss. This is an early sign that he doesn't have the lateral quickness needed at the TB position. Running straight ahead dives and short yardage is about all that he'll ever be. Starters will be Yearby, Walton and Gus.

So a guy who runs upright would be better suited to play FB where you block on every play and need leverage? Goofballs crack me up. There have been many upright runners who have been great RBs. Adrian Peterson and Eric ****erson come to mind immediately. Gus isn't those guys, but he's a talented RB who should do well this year.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Richt use Walton like he did Sony in the slot as a receiver because Gus and Yearby should be 1 and 2 at RB, and Brown already said he only likes to use 2 RBs.
HEY!! Doesn't Derrick Henry run too high too?? maybe Saban should've made him a FB [MENTION=4841]The Franchise[/MENTION]

All this "he runs too high" **** is a bunch of dopes parroting Maddenisms. Henry ran completely upright like he had a spine made of rebar.

Either you're a good RB or you aren't. This upright **** is retarded. I understand being skeptical of him, but he was behind some NFL RBs here and was set to start last year until he got hurt.

I happen to be in the minority on Gus. I think he's talented and could wind up having a very good year if he stays healthy.

You say, Adrian Peterson and Eric ****erson come to mind immediately when you think of great upright runners. But when you put Gus to the test you then admit that Gus doesn't measure up.

And then you say you understand the skepticism with Gus because he was behind some NFL RB's and was set to start before he got hurt. Well, News Flash---> Gus finds himself again behind two more NFL RB's Yearby, and Walton.

When he did play he ran hard and showed some ability definitely more than he showed as a freshman imo

I agree. The game at the Hokies showed flashes of how good this guy can be. If he can play every game as he did in Blacksburg he could have a very big year.
If this weren't a 7-6, shell of its former program, Virginia Tech team, then I might agree with your point.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I like Gus but he just don't have "IT". He is not a natural TB. He's probably better suited as a FB. He runs too straight up. After a year of coaching he should be able to run lower. Secondly, he can't make the first defender miss. This is an early sign that he doesn't have the lateral quickness needed at the TB position. Running straight ahead dives and short yardage is about all that he'll ever be. Starters will be Yearby, Walton and Gus.

So a guy who runs upright would be better suited to play FB where you block on every play and need leverage? Goofballs crack me up. There have been many upright runners who have been great RBs. Adrian Peterson and Eric ****erson come to mind immediately. Gus isn't those guys, but he's a talented RB who should do well this year.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Richt use Walton like he did Sony in the slot as a receiver because Gus and Yearby should be 1 and 2 at RB, and Brown already said he only likes to use 2 RBs.
HEY!! Doesn't Derrick Henry run too high too?? maybe Saban should've made him a FB [MENTION=4841]The Franchise[/MENTION]

All this "he runs too high" **** is a bunch of dopes parroting Maddenisms. Henry ran completely upright like he had a spine made of rebar.

Either you're a good RB or you aren't. This upright **** is retarded. I understand being skeptical of him, but he was behind some NFL RBs here and was set to start last year until he got hurt.

I happen to be in the minority on Gus. I think he's talented and could wind up having a very good year if he stays healthy.

You say, Adrian Peterson and Eric ****erson come to mind immediately when you think of great upright runners. But when you put Gus to the test you then admit that Gus doesn't measure up.

And then you say you understand the skepticism with Gus because he was behind some NFL RB's and was set to start before he got hurt. Well, News Flash---> Gus finds himself again behind two more NFL RB's Yearby, and Walton.
Yea yearby and walton are not NFL backs, no one compared him to AP or Eric ****erson either . Those guys were upright runners.

Yea yearby and walton are not NFL backs, no one compared him to AP or Eric ****erson either . Those guys were upright runners.

They were upright runners with blazing speed (10.3 100m)

If this weren't a 7-6, shell of its former program, Virginia Tech team, then I might agree with your point.

That was the same defense that throttled the eventual national champion Ohio state Buckeyes that year

Advertisement

That was the same defense that throttled the eventual national champion Ohio state Buckeyes that year
how dare you fill this thread with facts ! [MENTION=1740]brock[/MENTION]

That VT defense was down about 5 starters when we played them in 2014.

People keep laughing about Edwards but he's gonna shock people

What do you base that on? There's a lot of film on him. Derek Henry he is not - not even close. I'll be happy if they can get him to lower his pad level. But anyone expecting Derek Henry Part II is setting themselves up for disappointment.

Henry is a **** of a talent. But the blocking helped pave his way. That and Saban giving him the ball 40 times a game. Gus is a beast with legit speed. If he stays healthy, you'll change you tone I think.

That VT defense was down about 5 starters when we played them in 2014.

Lakers beat the Warriors on Sunday, they should be in the conversation for #1 seed in the west. Thems the facts rok, deal with it.

Advertisement
Back