Some buzz from Greentree

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
Some tidbits from Hurricane Drive….

• Talking to people who have been watching practice, the one thing you keep hearing about is Steve Morris making “the leap.â€Â￾ While his physical ability was always there, he is now starting to command Jedd Fisch’s offense. The same people who thought Ryan Williams would beat him out are now calling Morris a potential superstar. This is why he’s been getting more and more burn. The Canes should have some experienced talent at quarterback headed into 2012, which is more than we can say about some other positions.
  • One major concern the coaches have identified is physicality. When our coaches watched the FSU tape, they could not believe how much more physical the Noles were on defense and on special teams. Olivier Vernon was the only guy in orange and green busting heads.
  • Vernon isn’t talked about as a potential NFLer, but he wants to make the jump and has the ability (if not the production) to do so. In the FSU game, he played in coverage as an outside linebacker, caused havoc as a nickel DT, and fired off the ball as a defensive end. Sometimes in consecutive plays. He’s not a rah-rah Golden guy (more of a loner), so it's not a slam dunk he returns. But Vernon is the most talented player on next year’s defense and is a pivotal guy going forward.
  • As for the rest of the NFL guys, I suspect Miller is the only one who makes the leap. A lot of our guys want to go, but wanting to go and leaving are two different things.
  • The Class of 2012 is just about in the bag and the staff is already doing a lot of work on 2013. The coaches love Rayshawn Jenkins and Malcolm Lewis and feel they are two of the elite players in the class. Jelani Hamilton will be a battle, but overall they don’t believe the potential sanctions will have a major effect on the class.
  • The early returns on 2011’s late additions are not promising. Junior Alexis, Corey King and Hunter Wells have not wowed anybody. Thurston Armbrister is the best of the bunch but the jury is still out.
  • The biggest problem threatening this program is the lack of young, talented defensive linemen. We have a lot of bodies but no impact players (aside from Chick) on the horizon. This program needs big, athletic war daddies if it wants to look like Miami again. Earl Moore looks like a good player but is short.
  • One player who is showing out on the scout team is Dallas Crawford. What’s interesting is that he’s made the biggest impact on the scout team offense. Crawford is dynamic with the ball in his hands and has gotten snaps as option quarterback and running back. This isn’t long term, as D’Onfrio wants him in his defensive backfield.
  • Two more players who are showing talent on Greentree are Rashawn Scott and Asante Cleveland. Expect both guys to make tremendous gains with an off-season under their belts. Also, Darion Hall is not long for the team. Just further highlights the need for running backs in this class.
  • Gionni Paul is one of the hardest hitters on the team, but his mental game is keeping him off the field for now.
  • Weakest coaches on the staff? Carroll and Kehoe. Best coach on the staff? McDonald in a walk.
  • Jeff Ireland was at practice today watching Laron Byrd. He likes him as a potential late round pick.
  • Most important piece of news: THE man in Miami athletics believes that, unless we get unexpectedly severe sanctions, Al Golden will be in Coral Gables.

Advertisement
D - as always, thanks for the info. Do you think the weak coaches come back? Carroll at least gives the west coach connection for recruiting, not sure what Kehoe does. Any word on Swasey (I am not a pro or anti Swasey guy, just curious considering all of the debate about him over the years).

Jeff Ireland better not be making picks next year in this town

Vernon is insane if he turns pro imo

D - as always, thanks for the info. Do you think the weak coaches come back? Carroll at least gives the west coach connection for recruiting, not sure what Kehoe does. Any word on Swasey (I am not a pro or anti Swasey guy, just curious considering all of the debate about him over the years).

Carroll would have a better chance than Kehoe and Swasey.

Advertisement
DMoney, you are the man! Thanks!

Any idea on Vernon coming back? Gut feeling?

So because of some relatively non-productive players - Alexis, King, Wells, and Hall, are we going to see some culling of dead limbs?

Any idea on Vernon coming back? Gut feeling?

So because of some relatively non-productive players - Alexis, King, Wells, and Hall, are we going to see some culling of dead limbs?

Gut on the first one is yes.

As to number two, I'd say definitely. This staff was known for cutting dead weight in Temple and I don't expect that to change.

Hope your source is correct regarding Golden. We need him to stay and we need PSU to make a **** good hire that will last 3+ years there.

Advertisement
D, is the staff taking a serious look at any JUCO defensive lineman? I've heard some DB's mentioned but no lineman. In my opinion, D-line is the hardest position to project from high school to college. Some kids are just bigger and stronger than everyone else in high school and either don't possess good fundamentals or develop bad habits relying strictly on ability. If there are any D-linemen that are tearing it up in JUCO, especially DT's, I hope we give them a hard look.

[*]The early returns on 2011’s late additions are not promising. Junior Alexis, Corey King and Hunter Wells have not wowed anybody.

Anyone surprised here? All of these guys looked extremely pedestrian. I'd love to know which coaches fought for them to get a spot.

Advertisement
Not buying the Stephen Morris stuff. Just don't see it in him.

I'll go ahead and add Asante Cleveland to the list of Greentree AllAmericans who won't ever make a siginificant impact here.

Olivier Vernon is one of the most over hyped, low production players we've had around here in awhile.

Dallas Crawford is going to have to do more than wow some people in scout team work for me to drink the kool aid. We've been down that road too many times.

I'll go ahead and add Asante Cleveland to the list of Greentree AllAmericans who won't ever make a siginificant impact here.

Olivier Vernon is one of the most over hyped, low production players we've had around here in awhile.

Dallas Crawford is going to have to do more than wow some people in scout team work for me to drink the kool aid. We've been down that road too many times.

Wow

Let's Go Canes!!!!!!

Advertisement
Kehoe and Swasey can GTFO.

Encouraging on Morris. I like his physical skills and he has a decent feel for the game, but he has always appeared kind of stiff to me. Like, a little robotic compared to Jacory, who is more fluid. I hope he can keep developing though.

And yes, the physicality thing is just disturbing. I've posted about it all season. I hate watching soft UM teams.

Great stuff D$.

When you say the 2012 class is about in the bag does that mean we have some silents the coaches are confident about? I would still think there are 4-6 spots left to get to 30. Hopefully there is another S, DT, OL in there.

Great job D$. This is the type of **** I paid money for on scout and only got when you or Random would post.

Carroll would have a better chance than Kehoe and Swasey.

So you think Kehoe and Swasey may be gone?

Advertisement
Back