Some buzz from Greentree

Dallas doesn't need to unseat any of the starters to hit the field. We go 2 deep everywhere, maybe moreso next season. He'll be on the field, and he'll make plays.

Advertisement
I think it is completely unrealistic (and utterly sad and irresponsible) for PSU to hire a football coach prior to replacing the school president or the AD. Putting the football program and head coach above the school is what put them in this spot in the first place. Can't imagine the BOT will allow it to happen again. I don't expect there to be a coach in place prior to signing day, maybe by spring football. ****no insider knowledge what so ever, just common sense***
I couldn't disagree more. Thinking the football program is so important that you can't fill the job until you've picked a President and AD is the mistake. It's a sports program. You think they shouldn't replace their girls field hockey coach either until they pick a President? How about their writing workshop director, or their dance teacher, or theater adviser? Thinking that the football program is so important it sits at the table with the President of the University in priorities is the problem, not the solution.

I get what you're saying esf, but I think it's a bit off. You think the school should hire a football coach before they hire an Athletic Director? I don't.
Absolutely. I'm certain of it. Or at least that they should be prepared to. In a perfect world maybe they could sequence this, but if they intend to have a program next year, the timing is too tight to do the searches sequentially. And they don't want to rush either one because of the other, or they risk botching both. It's a ****** situation they're in, but the BOT basically needs to form a hiring committee to do both searches at the same time. And the last thing the new AD needs is to be forced to immediately pick Paterno's successor. Probably not fair to him and not something that will help fill the position. Blame the BoT if the new guy doesn't work out, not the new AD. Finally, there's nothing unusual about AD's not picking coaches. Any new AD inherits a slew of coaches.

Last edited:
I think it is completely unrealistic (and utterly sad and irresponsible) for PSU to hire a football coach prior to replacing the school president or the AD. Putting the football program and head coach above the school is what put them in this spot in the first place. Can't imagine the BOT will allow it to happen again. I don't expect there to be a coach in place prior to signing day, maybe by spring football. ****no insider knowledge what so ever, just common sense***
I couldn't disagree more. Thinking the football program is so important that you can't fill the job until you've picked a President and AD is the mistake. It's a sports program. You think they shouldn't replace their girls field hockey coach either until they pick a President? How about their writing workshop director, or their dance teacher, or theater adviser? Thinking that the football program is so important it sits at the table with the President of the University in priorities is the problem, not the solution.

I get what you're saying esf, but I think it's a bit off. You think the school should hire a football coach before they hire an Athletic Director? I don't.
Absolutely. I'm certain of it. Or at least that they should be prepared to. In a perfect world maybe they could sequence this, but if they intend to have a program next year, the timing is too tight to do the searches sequentially. And they don't want to rush either one because of the other, or they risk botching both. It's a ****** situation they're in, but the BOT basically needs to form a hiring committee to do both searches at the same time. And the last thing the new AD needs is to be forced to immediately pick Paterno's successor. Probably not fair to him and not something that will help fill the position. Blame the BoT if the new guy doesn't work out, not the new AD. Finally, there's nothing unusual about AD's not picking coaches. Any new AD inherits a slew of coaches.

Sure any new AD inherits a slew of coaches, but how many schools have had AD and football coach openings and hired the football coach first? Your comment about nothing being unusual doesn't deal with the particular situation that we are discussing.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back