Some buzz from Greentree

Some tidbits from Hurricane Drive….

Most important piece of news: THE man in Miami athletics believes that, unless we get unexpectedly severe sanctions, Al Golden will be in Coral Gables.

Thanks for the report, D. Better stuff than either of the other sites premium info.

One observation regarding Golden's status. It would seem that the timing as to when Golden could possibly receive HC offers, either from PSU or others, would be in month of December, which would be well prior to Golden knowing the severity of our sanctions. So it would further seem that sanctions can't be a guiding factor for Golden in deciding whether to stay. Is that analysis wrong on my part?

Also, have you heard whether PSU has reached out to Golden's agent?

Thanks.

Advertisement
I think it is completely unrealistic (and utterly sad and irresponsible) for PSU to hire a football coach prior to replacing the school president or the AD. Putting the football program and head coach above the school is what put them in this spot in the first place. Can't imagine the BOT will allow it to happen again. I don't expect there to be a coach in place prior to signing day, maybe by spring football. ****no insider knowledge what so ever, just common sense***

Most important piece of news: THE man in Miami athletics believes that, unless we get unexpectedly severe sanctions, Al Golden will be in Coral Gables.

Thanks for the report, D. Better stuff than either of the other sites premium info.

One observation regarding Golden's status. It would seem that the timing as to when Golden could possibly receive HC offers, either from PSU or others, would be in month of December, which would be well prior to Golden knowing the severity of our sanctions. So it would further seem that sanctions can't be a guiding factor for Golden in deciding whether to stay. Is that analysis wrong on my part?

Also, have you heard whether PSU has reached out to Golden's agent?

Thanks.

[*]The early returns on 2011’s late additions are not promising. Junior Alexis, Corey King and Hunter Wells have not wowed anybody. Thurston Armbrister is the best of the bunch but the jury is still out.

We kinda knew this already. We saw what coach Golden was trying to do. He needed bodies and thought he could throw a few marginal talent recruits in the mix. Oh well.

Advertisement
I think it is completely unrealistic (and utterly sad and irresponsible) for PSU to hire a football coach prior to replacing the school president or the AD. Putting the football program and head coach above the school is what put them in this spot in the first place. Can't imagine the BOT will allow it to happen again. I don't expect there to be a coach in place prior to signing day, maybe by spring football. ****no insider knowledge what so ever, just common sense***
I couldn't disagree more. Thinking the football program is so important that you can't fill the job until you've picked a President and AD is the mistake. It's a sports program. You think they shouldn't replace their girls field hockey coach either until they pick a President? How about their writing workshop director, or their dance teacher, or theater adviser? Thinking that the football program is so important it sits at the table with the President of the University in priorities is the problem, not the solution.

Thanks for sharing the info DMoney. I'm really excited about the news on Morris. I think if he's able to put it all together he can be a real standout. As we have all seen he definitely has a rocket arm, as well as some wheels. We should have another fantastic QB competition to look forward to...I am also really excited to see what Williams is able to do.

None of that is a shocker...could infer a lot of that just watching 'Canes football.

For Morris to all of a suddenly get playing time told me he was doing very well in practices and earned some real snaps.

I think we all knew low end players like Alexis, King, and Wells were just that...low end players, but we needed bodies to come in and practice considering we were low on warm bodies. I'd like to think getting exposure as "University of Miami commitments" could help them find a spot at a nice JUCO or D1AA/D2 school.

The defense is the least physical I've ever seen at Miami. Like I've said all year...three players worth a ****, Anthony Chickillo, Denzel Perryman, and Sean Spence. Only guys who really bring it. Olivier Vernon is making a case that he's a legit player, and I think he is, but I'd like to see that turn into real deal, high end production, but that hasn't quite happened yet. We need some of the recruits to come in and be able to play. Jelani Hamilton is one. I still think we need to recruit some big boys on the defensive line...defensive tackle and another big end (I do think the loss of Trent Taylor hurt) need to be big time focuses in the stretch run of the signing period. The high end defensive linemen always talk about wanting to come in and play early...we have the perfect opportunity for them to come in and contribute and make an impact if they are good enough.

Ray Ray "brings it." He just usually brings it to the wrong place!

Corey King, Hunter Wells, Armbrister, etc....

Arent they all TRUE FRESHMEN?

I sayd give them a little bit of time and they will contribute eventually

Advertisement
Would it look bad if Wells, Alexis were told to GTFO after one year?

Shalala: Whatever I can do to help, Al...You're young, I'm old and sick. What we will do together in the next few months will make history AL, history. It's never been done before. Not even Paterno would dream that such a thing could be possible.

Golden: Hunter Wells is a dead man. You don't object?

Shalala: He's small potatoes.

The only tangible impact it will have is as a hit on our grad rate 4.5 years from now, other than that it is no different than this happening at any (and every) other program. In fact one of the reasons Randy's academic score was so high is because we haven't had as much attrition recently.

Nope. I wouldn't even be surprised if they were told they could come here, but if they didn't prove they belonged they'd be asked to move on in a year. Dudes had no alternatives of note.

Advertisement
Clear out as much space on the roster as possible. That also means that you try and find kids who were on the team a school that fits their talent level. If they won't contribute get as many spots available so that you can sign as many players as possible.

If King, Alexis, and Wells all stink then why the **** are they here? FIU, Hawaii, and Illinois State is where these guys were headed respectively before they came in August.

Sure they might improve but we don't have scholarships to **** away.

Advertisement
Isn't BC a better recruiter than coach? Maybe that counts for something.

If AG stays, will there be any turnover on the coaching staff (as in firings)?

For a coach coming from Temple into an unsteady situation in Miami, I think he assembled a **** of a staff. That said, his brand is a lot stronger today than it was a year ago, and I have no doubt there are options out there for us that weren't there when Al built his first staff.

It's not complicated. Coach D turned down a HC position to come, other guys came from the NFL... those are good hires. Carroll was most certainly hired for recruiting. But that's fine. You need a guy or two like that. He just needs to deliver on LOI day. Golden is a former TE, and no unlike Saban supporting his DB coaches, I have no doubt that Golden would not hesitate to get his hands dirty with the TE's if need be.

If he thinks he can strengthen the staff, I would think its something he would explore. That said, sometimes what seems obvious to the fan base, doesn't reflect reality.

For a coach coming from Temple into an unsteady situation in Miami, I think he assembled a **** of a staff. That said, his brand is a lot stronger today than it was a year ago, and I have no doubt there are options out there for us that weren't there when Al built his first staff.

It's not complicated. Coach D turned down a HC position to come, other guys came from the NFL... those are good hires. Carroll was most certainly hired for recruiting. But that's fine. You need a guy or two like that. He just needs to deliver on LOI day. Golden is a former TE, and no unlike Saban supporting his DB coaches, I have no doubt that Golden would not hesitate to get his hands dirty with the TE's if need be.

If he thinks he can strengthen the staff, I would think its something he would explore. That said, sometimes what seems obvious to the fan base, doesn't reflect reality.

It only makes sense that BC was hired for his west coast recruiting connections...don't really see what else he brings to the table. I feel good about the staff that Golden has assembled and I agree he will make the correct decisions in terms of long-term success of the program. Whatever that might be, I'm OK with.

Advertisement
Back