Some buzz from Greentree

[*]The early returns on 2011’s late additions are not promising. Junior Alexis, Corey King and Hunter Wells have not wowed anybody.

Anyone surprised here? All of these guys looked extremely pedestrian. I'd love to know which coaches fought for them to get a spot.

I don't believe any coaches fought for them to get on the team, I think Golden said we need bodies in here so take them on a one year plan until he could get another recruiting class in here. I've heard Hunter Wells hates it here, and Junior Alexis just no thanks.

Advertisement
Not buying the Stephen Morris stuff. Just don't see it in him.

I'll go ahead and add Asante Cleveland to the list of Greentree AllAmericans who won't ever make a siginificant impact here.

Olivier Vernon is one of the most over hyped, low production players we've had around here in awhile.

Dallas Crawford is going to have to do more than wow some people in scout team work for me to drink the kool aid. We've been down that road too many times.

I'm not that big of a Morris fan but I do see potential there.

Asante has been out of shape this year, her getting back his speed now and I wouldn't be surprise he really shows out next year.

Olivier is still a vital piece to this defense being decent next year.

Dallas is doing what he has to so he can be ready next season, it will be interesting where they end up putting him though.

D$, speaking of sanctions, what is the feeling at Greentree about how badly we're going to get hit? How much will the self-imposed bowl ban lessen that?

Any chance for adding more quality DL this recruiting class?

Advertisement
[*]The early returns on 2011’s late additions are not promising. Junior Alexis, Corey King and Hunter Wells have not wowed anybody.

Anyone surprised here? All of these guys looked extremely pedestrian. I'd love to know which coaches fought for them to get a spot.

I don't believe any coaches fought for them to get on the team, I think Golden said we need bodies in here so take them on a one year plan until he could get another recruiting class in here. I've heard Hunter Wells hates it here, and Junior Alexis just no thanks.

That's three spots for EE guys in 2012's class. I wonder if this may end up being a bigger mistake than we think. Even if they end up "moving on"....

Also, let's speculate on who "the man" in miami athletics is....

I vote for Paul Dimare, and I don't expect (or want) Dmoney to share that info.

Kehoe and Swasey can GTFO.

Encouraging on Morris. I like his physical skills and he has a decent feel for the game, but he has always appeared kind of stiff to me. Like, a little robotic compared to Jacory, who is more fluid. I hope he can keep developing though.

And yes, the physicality thing is just disturbing. I've posted about it all season. I hate watching soft UM teams.

Now that you mention it, he does remind me of Jason Campbell playing for the Redskins (not in his abilities, but rather the stiffness and seaming to read plays slow).

Great stuff.

Encouraging to hear about Morris. I haven't been impressed with the kid to this point, but hopefully Fisch can change that.

Advertisement
None of that is a shocker...could infer a lot of that just watching 'Canes football.

For Morris to all of a suddenly get playing time told me he was doing very well in practices and earned some real snaps.

I think we all knew low end players like Alexis, King, and Wells were just that...low end players, but we needed bodies to come in and practice considering we were low on warm bodies. I'd like to think getting exposure as "University of Miami commitments" could help them find a spot at a nice JUCO or D1AA/D2 school.

The defense is the least physical I've ever seen at Miami. Like I've said all year...three players worth a ****, Anthony Chickillo, Denzel Perryman, and Sean Spence. Only guys who really bring it. Olivier Vernon is making a case that he's a legit player, and I think he is, but I'd like to see that turn into real deal, high end production, but that hasn't quite happened yet. We need some of the recruits to come in and be able to play. Jelani Hamilton is one. I still think we need to recruit some big boys on the defensive line...defensive tackle and another big end (I do think the loss of Trent Taylor hurt) need to be big time focuses in the stretch run of the signing period. The high end defensive linemen always talk about wanting to come in and play early...we have the perfect opportunity for them to come in and contribute and make an impact if they are good enough.

D$... with the way Golden Saw how we were pushed around.. would he hire a "consultant" to work with Swasey so we don't look like a bunch of stuffed animals on the line?

Or is he going to let Swasey try and figure this out on his own?

JC

Advertisement
None of that is a shocker...could infer a lot of that just watching 'Canes football.

For Morris to all of a suddenly get playing time told me he was doing very well in practices and earned some real snaps.

I think we all knew low end players like Alexis, King, and Wells were just that...low end players, but we needed bodies to come in and practice considering we were low on warm bodies. I'd like to think getting exposure as "University of Miami commitments" could help them find a spot at a nice JUCO or D1AA/D2 school.

The defense is the least physical I've ever seen at Miami. Like I've said all year...three players worth a ****, Anthony Chickillo, Denzel Perryman, and Sean Spence. Only guys who really bring it. Olivier Vernon is making a case that he's a legit player, and I think he is, but I'd like to see that turn into real deal, high end production, but that hasn't quite happened yet. We need some of the recruits to come in and be able to play. Jelani Hamilton is one. I still think we need to recruit some big boys on the defensive line...defensive tackle and another big end (I do think the loss of Trent Taylor hurt) need to be big time focuses in the stretch run of the signing period. The high end defensive linemen always talk about wanting to come in and play early...we have the perfect opportunity for them to come in and contribute and make an impact if they are good enough.

I figured it was b/c when he had to come in for Jacory on the last play of the UVA(?) game that there was no longer a way they could red shirt him so they figured they might as well get him some more game snaps and it's not like we are blowing people out to put him in at the end.

I am surprised Paul Williams wasn't mentioned as a coaching liability. I have not heard positive things about him other than he takes a lot of abuse from D'onofrio and does what he is told.

Last edited:
Kehoe and Swasey can GTFO.

Encouraging on Morris. I like his physical skills and he has a decent feel for the game, but he has always appeared kind of stiff to me. Like, a little robotic compared to Jacory, who is more fluid. I hope he can keep developing though.

And yes, the physicality thing is just disturbing. I've posted about it all season. I hate watching soft UM teams.

Couldn't agree more with Swassey and Kehoe.

Advertisement
I am surprised Paul Williams was mentioned as a coaching liability. I have not heard positive things about him other than he takes a lot of abuse from D'onofrio and does what he is told.

Where did you see Paul Williams mentioned as a liability?

Some tidbits from Hurricane Drive….

• One major concern the coaches have identified is physicality. When our coaches watched the FSU tape, they could not believe how much more physical the Noles were on defense and on special teams. Olivier Vernon was the only guy in orange and green busting heads.
[/LIST]

IMO we were knocked around in the FSU, KSU, and UVA games. We played decent in the VT and OSwho games, other than the line getting blown up a few times in short yardage against oswho.

Golden either needs to add a power guy with Swasey, or just re-vamp the whole program and start over and we need to find a big name oline guy that is known for developing lines.

interesting on Crawford.
Nice on Morris.
Bummer on J. Alexis, king, and Wells. It'd been nice if one or two of them really took hold of the job.

Thanks for sharing the info.

Advertisement
Back