Some buzz from Greentree

There should be no hesitation to jettison dead weight both kids and coaches. The importance of this class and the coaching staff during this transition to year 2 should not be understated. This class will make or break Golden's reputation.

Ideally, Kehoe and Swasey are given pink slips the day after BC. We sit down and talk with the dozen or more kids that we will need to let go (or will go early of their own accord such as to the NFL) so that we can maximize the ships for this class. With only 20 open schollies for 2012 right now, we need to make a ton of room to get the 30-35 man class we want.

Advertisement
I can't see them canning Kehoe after all the hoopla that came when they brought him on board.

I could see Swasey getting the boot.

If King, Alexis, and Wells all stink then why the **** are they here? FIU, Hawaii, and Illinois State is where these guys were headed respectively before they came in August.

Sure they might improve but we don't have scholarships to **** away.
Honestly, because I think we needed warm bodies to practice. If one of them developed, great. If not, people are still needed to play on the scout team. With our depth at certain positions, it was a necessity

Advertisement
Some tidbits from Hurricane Drive….

• Talking to people who have been watching practice, the one thing you keep hearing about is Steve Morris making “the leap.â€Â￾ While his physical ability was always there, he is now starting to command Jedd Fisch’s offense. The same people who thought Ryan Williams would beat him out are now calling Morris a potential superstar. This is why he’s been getting more and more burn. The Canes should have some experienced talent at quarterback headed into 2012, which is more than we can say about some other positions.
  • One major concern the coaches have identified is physicality. When our coaches watched the FSU tape, they could not believe how much more physical the Noles were on defense and on special teams. Olivier Vernon was the only guy in orange and green busting heads.
  • Vernon isn’t talked about as a potential NFLer, but he wants to make the jump and has the ability (if not the production) to do so. In the FSU game, he played in coverage as an outside linebacker, caused havoc as a nickel DT, and fired off the ball as a defensive end. Sometimes in consecutive plays. He’s not a rah-rah Golden guy (more of a loner), so it's not a slam dunk he returns. But Vernon is the most talented player on next year’s defense and is a pivotal guy going forward.
  • As for the rest of the NFL guys, I suspect Miller is the only one who makes the leap. A lot of our guys want to go, but wanting to go and leaving are two different things.
  • The Class of 2012 is just about in the bag and the staff is already doing a lot of work on 2013. The coaches love Rayshawn Jenkins and Malcolm Lewis and feel they are two of the elite players in the class. Jelani Hamilton will be a battle, but overall they don’t believe the potential sanctions will have a major effect on the class.
  • The early returns on 2011’s late additions are not promising. Junior Alexis, Corey King and Hunter Wells have not wowed anybody. Thurston Armbrister is the best of the bunch but the jury is still out.
  • The biggest problem threatening this program is the lack of young, talented defensive linemen. We have a lot of bodies but no impact players (aside from Chick) on the horizon. This program needs big, athletic war daddies if it wants to look like Miami again. Earl Moore looks like a good player but is short.
  • One player who is showing out on the scout team is Dallas Crawford. What’s interesting is that he’s made the biggest impact on the scout team offense. Crawford is dynamic with the ball in his hands and has gotten snaps as option quarterback and running back. This isn’t long term, as D’Onfrio wants him in his defensive backfield.
  • Two more players who are showing talent on Greentree are Rashawn Scott and Asante Cleveland. Expect both guys to make tremendous gains with an off-season under their belts. Also, Darion Hall is not long for the team. Just further highlights the need for running backs in this class.
  • Gionni Paul is one of the hardest hitters on the team, but his mental game is keeping him off the field for now.
  • Weakest coaches on the staff? Carroll and Kehoe. Best coach on the staff? McDonald in a walk.
  • Jeff Ireland was at practice today watching Laron Byrd. He likes him as a potential late round pick.
  • Most important piece of news: THE man in Miami athletics believes that, unless we get unexpectedly severe sanctions, Al Golden will be in Coral Gables.

Since you're in touch with THE man, any insight into whether or not they've had any talks regarding an extension for AG?

If Hall is on his way out of Coral Gables, it's news to him and his family at this point. He's continued to get positive feedback from the staff and is excited about opportunities in 2012.

There should be no hesitation to jettison dead weight both kids and coaches. The importance of this class and the coaching staff during this transition to year 2 should not be understated. This class will make or break Golden's reputation.

Ideally, Kehoe and Swasey are given pink slips the day after BC. We sit down and talk with the dozen or more kids that we will need to let go (or will go early of their own accord such as to the NFL) so that we can maximize the ships for this class. With only 20 open schollies for 2012 right now, we need to make a ton of room to get the 30-35 man class we want.

No matter what we do dead weight wise, we can still only bring in 25....plus EE kids who will count toward last year. If we hadn't taken them late, then we'd have more room for EEs.

If Hall is on his way out of Coral Gables, it's news to him and his family at this point. He's continued to get positive feedback from the staff and is excited about opportunities in 2012.

Makes no sense that he would leave with Miller likely turning pro and Duke not arriving (hopefully) until the summer.

Advertisement
Good stuff D$. Can't wait to see Crawford lace em up. Did he red shirt bc of injury? Or was it because he got "too big" over the summer? I've heard both rumors. #shrugs

Would it look bad if Wells, Alexis were told to GTFO after one year?
Nope. I wouldn't even be surprised if they were told they could come here, but if they didn't prove they belonged they'd be asked to move on in a year. Dudes had no alternatives of note.

Agree completely.

I'm sure late additions like that were told they were on a provisional basis.

Advertisement
Good stuff D$. Can't wait to see Crawford lace em up. Did he red shirt bc of injury? Or was it because he got "too big" over the summer? I've heard both rumors. #shrugs

I heard it was that he got too big. Armbrister was outperforming him early but Crawford has come on strong.

I think it is completely unrealistic (and utterly sad and irresponsible) for PSU to hire a football coach prior to replacing the school president or the AD. Putting the football program and head coach above the school is what put them in this spot in the first place. Can't imagine the BOT will allow it to happen again. I don't expect there to be a coach in place prior to signing day, maybe by spring football. ****no insider knowledge what so ever, just common sense***
I couldn't disagree more. Thinking the football program is so important that you can't fill the job until you've picked a President and AD is the mistake. It's a sports program. You think they shouldn't replace their girls field hockey coach either until they pick a President? How about their writing workshop director, or their dance teacher, or theater adviser? Thinking that the football program is so important it sits at the table with the President of the University in priorities is the problem, not the solution.

I get what you're saying esf, but I think it's a bit off. You think the school should hire a football coach before they hire an Athletic Director? I don't.

Rashawn hasn't played in over a month and a half. He broke his finger against KSU then broke his collarbone in practice

Advertisement
great info, this off season will be our biggest in a long time.

Kehoe and Swasey both have to go. Both guys suck.

We can get a good OL coach from a lower-tier SEC school and it would be a major upgrade.

I understand what you are saying but I see it as just the opposite and this is a unique circumstance. Those other jobs don't have nearly the impact to exposure that HC of the football team has. I think the public perception (mine at least) and the media would be that it is more important to keep the football program strong than heal the university. But I do get your point also

I think it is completely unrealistic (and utterly sad and irresponsible) for PSU to hire a football coach prior to replacing the school president or the AD. Putting the football program and head coach above the school is what put them in this spot in the first place. Can't imagine the BOT will allow it to happen again. I don't expect there to be a coach in place prior to signing day, maybe by spring football. ****no insider knowledge what so ever, just common sense***
I couldn't disagree more. Thinking the football program is so important that you can't fill the job until you've picked a President and AD is the mistake. It's a sports program. You think they shouldn't replace their girls field hockey coach either until they pick a President? How about their writing workshop director, or their dance teacher, or theater adviser? Thinking that the football program is so important it sits at the table with the President of the University in priorities is the problem, not the solution.

I get what you're saying esf, but I think it's a bit off. You think the school should hire a football coach before they hire an Athletic Director? I don't.

Advertisement
Back