Sobering assessment of this years team (by Barry Jackson, so you already know...)

Barry has been riding this horse for years, dovetailing it with an overall narrative that Miami “isn’t what it used to be.” I have as much of a problem with that mode of thinking as I do with anything else in the article, and here’s why:

Do you know what group perpetually asks if Miami is “back”? The group that never lets the program escape its own shadow, who is *constantly* comparing them to one of the most legendary eras of all time — AND makes a point of diminishing every positive improvement the program makes because “that ain’t like the U of old”?

It’s not the freaking fans, it’s the fart-sucking media. Every single time Miami shows a sign of life it’s compared to the Impossible Standard of the past. I’m freaking better adjusted to reality than Barry is, because I have zero expectation of us becoming like 00-02 ever again. Do I think we could win a Natty again? Sure, maybe. But I’m not calling 2021 DOA because some suit who probably left Greg Rousseau off his draft board because he sat out a year tell me I should be “sober-minded” about our pro prospects. B*tch I’m a Miami fan, all I am is sarcastic, cynical and sober minded. Sober-minded is our default setting after 20 years of disappointment and ineptitude.

Nah, ***** Barry and his sauces. Guy has gone to war against UM far more times than he’s fought for them. And ***** all the media constantly calling the program a failure because it isn’t getting 6 guys drafted in the first round. I don’t meant to be this ugly about a game but good lord I’m sick of getting blamed for screaming “FIVE RANGZ” when it’s the media who puts us on a pedestal one week and pulls it out from under us the next week.

The problem is that horse hasnt bucked him off yet. This team can easily be viewed thru the lens he uses in this article. Miami needs to win to deserve anything different.

I am excited at much of the talent but I am not convinced that our LBs or our Oline are capable of keeping this team competitive in every game much less win 10 of them. I do not think Manny is the type of coach who can hide holes that big.

While I welcome the pure joy that some of our fans have on this board and jump out of my set when I hear LT looks to be who they said he was, I am cautiously optimistic. Its really hard to see this team thru the orange colored glasses after having an all time single game rushing record put up against us or knowing that this OL will not allow us to pick up yards on the ground when we desperately need them.

At this point I would rather be wrong than bitten again.

Advertisement
Don’t know where to start with that article.

D’Eriq is 2 inches shorter than Kyler so all of a sudden he’s 5’8”?

Were players like Justyn Ross or Devonta Smith irrelevant as freshmen because they hadn’t been on the roster for 3 years?

Are we the only team in the 6 to 15 range with holes on the roster?

———
All of those awful takes to justify the opinion that this is not a top 4 playoff team right now, aka the coldest take of all-time.

I hate the idea of robots taking people’s jobs, but I’m ok with it if it happens at the Miami Herald.

This was a very non partisan article that told the truth, beyond what many of our unsound fans can handle or accept. We won't know how improved, if at all, the OL will be until we face a D1 DL. After watching the NC OL go Attila the Hun on our DL last year, I hid in the swamps. I know we added more talent, but most are untested and the guys ahead of them are meh in most instances. We all saw Corey Gaynor spend more time in the backfield than every back except Camron Harris. We are going to need a performance like on the Catalaunian Plains (where Atilla suffered his only defeat) to beat baga.

Advertisement
I worry about our front 7, not the whole front 7, but a few areas.

mostly being Mike backer and our edge rush. Would feel a lot better if Harvey could take over a DE job because he’s our most explosive rusher.

I think if those two areas are shored but a bit we have something to work with this season

Every year it’s the same sh*t with the CIS crowd….

Pre-season:

“WE GONNA DOMINATE!”

Mid-season:

“FIRE THESE MOTHERF*CKERS! HIRE BUTCH NOW!!”

And When Butch is in a wheelchair in 10yrs they’ll say “bring him on as an analyst now!”
Well, if we hire Butch as an analyst, wouldn't that remove the mid-season argument?

Forgive me if the article addresses this, but I don’t wanna hear any ******* excuse, prior to the season and any potential injuries, that we’re not talented enough to win double digit games. A decently focused, well-coached team with this roster is in the ACCCG.
Say that every year for the past 4-5. Problems usually seem to be focus and coaching.

Advertisement
Not dog food, but none of them have done anything on a college field to even suggest they are future stars. Most of them won’t even start this year, so whats your point?
Teams rarely are able to depend exclusively on draft eligible players with experience. Literally 2/3's of every team in America is inexperienced. Most depth on most teams will lack experience. It does not equate to failure or success.

I don't think the scout said anything bad. Unless I'm missing something, the Top 10 stuff seems to be Barry's opinion.

I agree with the scout's breakdown of Day 2 vs. Day 3 guys, although I think Mallory will jump to Day 2 if healthy. The scout left the caveat that guys could rise by playing and testing well. The name that is missing is Tyrique Stevenson. He can be our highest-rated player with a good year. Big, physical, instinctual and explosive with modern versatility and great testing.
Agreed and that's my point, players with limit tape aren't getting drafted solely on potential and stars out of high school. So, asking an NFL scout about the chances of a team he honestly has little prognostic research on due to the fact his sole purpose is to watch draft eligible players is a silly move on Barry's part.

NFL and college football are different games. A lot of great college players never make it in the NFL. As long as UM is playing CFB, this team has a chance of being very good this season and beyond.

Are we going to beat Bama? I hope so. Bama is replacing a lot of awesome players with guys who aren't proven yet in CFB.

Advertisement
‘Cautiously optimistic...’ what a *****! Lol
Why? Because u might root too hard during a loss or be called out by the inter web police for being wrong ? Nobody cares about your tentative fan hood . ‘ I don’t expect to win unless it’s statistically the right choice ‘ is the saddest , weakest chit I see on the crapful webs!

I believe we have a better team than we had for years. Alabama is for sure the measuring stick. beating Bama would do wonders for the program. What concerns me, should we lose, is how Manny gets this team refocused for the rest of the season. Will the team tank as we have seen over the years? This team has the talent and the potential. Get it done!!

Advertisement
J. Phillips wasn't a first rounder until he played last season. Rousseau wasn't a first rounder until he played that 2019 season. Nobody knows who will be drafted, or where these guys will be drafted until the season is played.

This Barry Jackson article quotes an NFL scout and basically says we do not have nearly the talent needed to finish in the top 10.

Hard to argue his points.

Is anything this guy writes noteworthy? We already knew all of that.

Bubba Bolden is a 3rd round pick to 5th round pick. Yup. We knew that. That's where safeties go unless they're freak athletes or play CB as well.

Zion Nelson is a freak athlete is why he's going to go in the 2nd round.

The rest of Miami's talent is aged/experienced talent for the first time in a while. Add that to their elite college QB and you've got a team with an over/under of 9 wins, which is what people have said for months.

This is still their best college football team in 15 years because it finally got old. There is legit young talent behind the age and that is what we needed to move another tier. The 2021 recruiting class is absolutely what we hoped it would be now that they're all here and we probably won't have a single one starting.

I'm pretty happy with where things are, personally, but I know a certain faction believes national title or bust with this program and we certainly aren't that.

Is anything this guy writes noteworthy? We already knew all of that.

Bubba Bolden is a 3rd round pick to 5th round pick. Yup. We knew that. That's where safeties go unless they're freak athletes or play CB as well.

Zion Nelson is a freak athlete is why he's going to go in the 2nd round.

The rest of Miami's talent is aged/experienced talent for the first time in a while. Add that to their elite college QB and you've got a team with an over/under of 9 wins, which is what people have said for months.

This is still their best college football team in 15 years because it finally got old. There is legit young talent behind the age and that is what we needed to move another tier. The 2021 recruiting class is absolutely what we hoped it would be now that they're all here and we probably won't have a single one starting.

I'm pretty happy with where things are, personally, but I know a certain faction believes national title or bust with this program and we certainly aren't that.
the post of reason, perspective and reality.

This article is pointless. First, not many teams are loaded with obvious nfl talent. The funny thing about the first round, is that there are only 32 players taken. Same thing with every other round.

Outside of the top 3 or 4 teams in college football, you don't usually have many teams pumping out a bunch of nfl players every year. So the rest of the top 10 teams don't belong there then? This also doesn't take into account young players that aren't yet draftable who routinely make college teams great.

Pointless article.

Advertisement
Back