Sobering assessment of this years team (by Barry Jackson, so you already know...)

Forgive me if the article addresses this, but I don’t wanna hear any ******* excuse, prior to the season and any potential injuries, that we’re not talented enough to win double digit games. A decently focused, well-coached team with this roster is in the ACCCG.

Advertisement
I don't see many players from Cincinnati or Iowa State in the first couple rounds of any mock drafts next year. In fact, I don't see hardly any players for any teams in the ACC coastal division. UNC's has a good quarterback, Virginia Tech has a couple good defensive players, but neither has much depth at all. No, Miami is not anywhere close to the talent level of Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, Ohio State or Oklahoma. But they are okay and they are very experienced. Get past Alabama healthy and battle tested and the rest of the schedule should be very winnable.

A lot riding on this year obviously for a lot of guys. All it takes is one big year and players will start moving up draft boards. Then they test and all of the sudden we have some 1st and 2nd rounders. Got to show it on the field tho.

Advertisement
I haven’t given any credence to this doofus for years. You guys shouldn’t get your panties in a wad with anything this hack writes or says. He’s proven how useless he is time and again.

There’s a lot of nuance the article completely misses and just makes blanket statements based on the opinion of one NFL “scout”.

Is there a bunch of first round talent playing on the roster? Nope. At least not when considering draft eligible guys. But how many team have multiple first round players on their roster right now? Three? Four? Yes, compared to Alabama, Miami’s roster doesn’t look special. But you can make that same statement about every single team in college outside of Clemson, Ohio State and possibly Oklahoma. (Although none of those teams is even on Bama’s level, they’re just closer than everyone else) The roster does, however have a decent number of mid round prospects that have a shot at really upping their draft stock with a good year.

Secondly, if a college team’s on field performance was in direct correlation to the number of NFL players on the roster, those Larry Coker teams of the mid 2000’s would have been a lot better. We see great college players that never get drafted or get drafted late every year. One of the changes I really like about the program is they’re not just evaluating players to NFL standards anymore. If a guy can play at the college level, go get him. Who cares if he’s not an NFL prototype.

There’s a lot of nuance the article completely misses and just makes blanket statements based on the opinion of one NFL “scout”.

Is there a bunch of first round talent playing on the roster? Nope. At least not when considering draft eligible guys. But how many team have multiple first round players on their roster right now? Three? Four? Yes, compared to Alabama, Miami’s roster doesn’t look special. But you can make that same statement about every single team in college outside of Clemson, Ohio State and possibly Oklahoma. (Although none of those teams is even on Bama’s level, they’re just closer than everyone else) The roster does, however have a decent number of mid round prospects that have a shot at really upping their draft stock with a good year.

Secondly, if a college team’s on field performance was in direct correlation to the number of NFL players on the roster, those Larry Coker teams of the mid 2000’s would have been a lot better. We see great college players that never get drafted or get drafted late every year. One of the changes I really like about the program is they’re not just evaluating players to NFL standards anymore. If a guy can play at the college level, go get him. Who cares if he’s not an NFL prototype.
Correct…I’d rather have 10-12 middle round draft picks than to have “a” first round draft pick….

Where this article goes wrong:
  • King is better than given credit for
  • 5 competent eligibles on the field at all times for the first time since 2017
  • Experienced OL
  • Defensive players - like Bolden - can improve, become more consistent, emerge, etc.
Also:
  • faulty premise assuming that great CFB teams have to be loaded with early-round upperclassmen
  • even if the above premise is correct, where is that talent on UNC this year? Did I miss the part where the stud RBs and WR who shredded Miami's defense and impressed in NFL camps have returned to school?
  • that even applies to Bama...they have Evan Neal...and then? Metchie has great acceleration but he's pretty "dime a dozen" like Rambo. I'd actually be more confident in Rambo to make a tough contested catch. Simple Jobe? Billingsley - is he even gonna play? Oh yeah they have that Senior RB who has the agility and explosion of a blocking sled. If he was the starter at Miami our fans would be losing their minds.
  • ^ I'm sure Bama has lots of young talent that could emerge...same as you could say for Miami
The next time Barry Jackson shares quality analysis will be the first. God forbid any of you play fantasy football and try to learn insights about the Dolphins from his junk articles and blogs. Biggest waste of time.

Advertisement
Are we going to have 5 first rounders drafted? **** no, but I’m convinced the following guys will be drafted: Zion, Bolden, Rambo, Cam Harris, Will Mallory, Rique, Vaughn, Ivey, Nesta. Then you have a bunch of guys who most likely will be drafted if they take a step: Harley, Ford, Gaynor, J Williams, Hedley, D Johnson. That’s a lot of NFL talent. Most will be day two or day three picks but still. The talent is there.

Thanks for the bulletin board material Barry. May turn out to be his biggest, although completely unintentional, contribution to the program

Here's my issue with what Barry wrote, yeah, D-King is not a great NFL prospect at QB. But if he's an elite college QB -- isn't that what matters for this program and this season?

You can win big without prototype players. It's actually been done many times. And there have been a lot of QB's who have won the Heisman (such as Gino, or Ty Detmer and Jason White) who were outstanding collegiate players but had limited success at the next level. But guess what, it doesn't matter because they were incredibly productive on Saturdays.

Also, Ive been told by several people I trust that this is a monster freshman class that has come in. They will play some key roles this upcoming season right off the bat.

I could be dead wrong (and for the record, I hated this Bama game from the time it was announced) but I really like this team. Personally, it will tell me if Manny Diaz can actually coach a bit or not

I don’t have a problem with this article. Barry is usually way off on things regarding UM football but this time he’s pretty accurate. I asked myself who from this years team would start on any of the great UM teams. Maybe Lou. We’ve got some decent talent but no true impact players besides King or Lou. I love the direction that Manny is taking the program though. This season will tell us a lot about Manny and the program.

Advertisement
Even a gator can see that this team can be very good. We are experienced and deeper than we have been in two decades. We’ve got a QB capable of providing leadership and playmaking. He’s got potential playmakers around him. A couple will need to surprise us. IMHO we will be in position to make a play to beat either bama or clemson. If King can help us make that play then we can enter the next phase.

The article is a waste , there’s a bunch of nfl guys on this roster. More than enough to win 10-11 games. I could care less about first rounders. We’re an older , more mature team which we never have , one of the most veteran teams in cfb. Thats more than enough.
Every year about now, this board ain’t got time for no reality. You either grab a Pom Pom or get out of the way.

Every year about now, this board ain’t got time for no reality. You either grab a Pom Pom or get out of the way.

And every year you post the same **** , regardless. When I saw you responded i knew exactly what you’d say because you’re a troll.

If you don’t think this team isn’t capable of 10 wins having the oldest , deepest and most talented roster we’ve had in a awhile then duck your head back under Barry’s desk.

Advertisement
There are great college teams that dont have a ton of first round pick. You can win with a great college QB with very solid fundamental team that plays like a team. Our best QB ever in college was Dorsey- but he was not built for the NFL. King is from that mold- we can win with him. The issues are the lines- if they can hold up on both sides we will be good.

And every year you post the same **** , regardless. When I saw you responded i knew exactly what you’d say because you’re a troll.

If you don’t think this team isn’t capable of 10 wins having the oldest , deepest and most talented roster we’ve had in a awhile then duck your head back under Barry’s desk.
And every year it turns out I was right. I completely agree that we have the oldest, deepest, and most talented roster in a while, but that's a pretty low bar to top. We still have what I believe is a sub par head coach, who is coming off a disastrous finish that we are one game removed from with all that talent and experience coming back. So sue me for being a realist and not thinking it's all just coming together swimmingly. If it does, awesome, I am fine being wrong once in 20 years. :)

Advertisement
Back