Sobering assessment of this years team (by Barry Jackson, so you already know...)

smoking GIF by South Park

Advertisement
True but this year there are "super seniors" on every team. We are not the only team with a bunch of starters returning.
The tops teams lost more. Bama, Clemson and Ohio State lost talent to the league. Obviously they recruit at a high level but they basically banking of those player living up to their recruiting ranking in some cases.

Advertisement
Barry has been riding this horse for years, dovetailing it with an overall narrative that Miami “isn’t what it used to be.” I have as much of a problem with that mode of thinking as I do with anything else in the article, and here’s why:

Do you know what group perpetually asks if Miami is “back”? The group that never lets the program escape its own shadow, who is *constantly* comparing them to one of the most legendary eras of all time — AND makes a point of diminishing every positive improvement the program makes because “that ain’t like the U of old”?

It’s not the freaking fans, it’s the fart-sucking media. Every single time Miami shows a sign of life it’s compared to the Impossible Standard of the past. I’m freaking better adjusted to reality than Barry is, because I have zero expectation of us becoming like 00-02 ever again. Do I think we could win a Natty again? Sure, maybe. But I’m not calling 2021 DOA because some suit who probably left Greg Rousseau off his draft board because he sat out a year tell me I should be “sober-minded” about our pro prospects. B*tch I’m a Miami fan, all I am is sarcastic, cynical and sober minded. Sober-minded is our default setting after 20 years of disappointment and ineptitude.

Nah, ***** Barry and his sauces. Guy has gone to war against UM far more times than he’s fought for them. And ***** all the media constantly calling the program a failure because it isn’t getting 6 guys drafted in the first round. I don’t meant to be this ugly about a game but good lord I’m sick of getting blamed for screaming “FIVE RANGZ” when it’s the media who puts us on a pedestal one week and pulls it out from under us the next week.

19-22? Not many have that.
Not going to argue that point. We have the most returners and have the potential to play very well as a team because of that. Additionally, we have a ton of experience returning at the most important position on the field and it gives us a shot at 10 wins. We are nowhere close to the talent of the top 5 teams

Advertisement
The tops teams lost more. Bama, Clemson and Ohio State lost talent to the league. Obviously they recruit at a high level but they basically banking of those player living up to their recruiting ranking in some cases.
That's what they do every year lol

Advertisement
Not going to argue that point. We have the most returners and have the potential to play very well as a team because of that. Additionally, we have a ton of experience returning at the most important position on the field and it gives us a shot at 10 wins. We are nowhere close to the talent of the top 5 teams
we are not close to the top 5 teams, but two more recruiting periods in a row like we had in 2020 and we'll be there. we are not that far off. we have 10-12 freshman (2019 and 2020 classes) that could potentially play in the league if they develop well and don't get hurt

Barry has been riding this horse for years, dovetailing it with an overall narrative that Miami “isn’t what it used to be.” I have as much of a problem with that mode of thinking as I do with anything else in the article, and here’s why:

Do you know what group perpetually asks if Miami is “back”? The group that never lets the program escape its own shadow, who is *constantly* comparing them to one of the most legendary eras of all time — AND makes a point of diminishing every positive improvement the program makes because “that ain’t like the U of old”?

It’s not the freaking fans, it’s the fart-sucking media. Every single time Miami shows a sign of life it’s compared to the Impossible Standard of the past. I’m freaking better adjusted to reality than Barry is, because I have zero expectation of us becoming like 00-02 ever again. Do I think we could win a Natty again? Sure, maybe. But I’m not calling 2021 DOA because some suit who probably left Greg Rousseau off his draft board because he sat out a year tell me I should be “sober-minded” about our pro prospects. B*tch I’m a Miami fan, all I am is sarcastic, cynical and sober minded. Sober-minded is our default setting after 20 years of disappointment and ineptitude.

Nah, ***** Barry and his sauces. Guy has gone to war against UM far more times than he’s fought for them. And ***** all the media constantly calling the program a failure because it isn’t getting 6 guys drafted in the first round. I don’t meant to be this ugly about a game but good lord I’m sick of getting blamed for screaming “FIVE RANGZ” when it’s the media who puts us on a pedestal one week and pulls it out from under us the next week.
This right here is the dude I want on the barstool next to me when the game is on!

Advertisement
Barry wrote that article as if he was some in-depth analyst poking a hole in our playoff-contending dreams. Like, 'I hate to break it to you guys drinking the Kool Aid, but we're not there yet!'

Thanks Barry but we fully know this. Anyone under the impression that we are as talented as Bama, Clemson, OSU is delusional. But we **** sure have the talent to win the Coastal and go 10-2 and win a respectable bowl game. If we can finish Top 15, I'll be happy.

Truer words never spoken, Inday.

Any less talent than the last 5 years who put up these numbers? I’d say not much. Oh, and we have the best QB we’ve had in decades, the entire 2 deep back on that side minus Brevin, a Rambo addition, a healthy Vaughn, 3 NFL backs, and a full year with an entire staff. We’ll be ok.

Advertisement
Back