Sobering assessment of this years team (by Barry Jackson, so you already know...)

Is anything this guy writes noteworthy? We already knew all of that.

Bubba Bolden is a 3rd round pick to 5th round pick. Yup. We knew that. That's where safeties go unless they're freak athletes or play CB as well.

Zion Nelson is a freak athlete is why he's going to go in the 2nd round.

The rest of Miami's talent is aged/experienced talent for the first time in a while. Add that to their elite college QB and you've got a team with an over/under of 9 wins, which is what people have said for months.

This is still their best college football team in 15 years because it finally got old. There is legit young talent behind the age and that is what we needed to move another tier. The 2021 recruiting class is absolutely what we hoped it would be now that they're all here and we probably won't have a single one starting.

I'm pretty happy with where things are, personally, but I know a certain faction believes national title or bust with this program and we certainly aren't that.
Really good post.
The season to me, depends on the culture. How will the team respond after losing to Alabama on national TV. (Hopefully they win but just being realistic). Personally I think King and Manny have changed the culture over 3 years so they can respond better to adversity. TBD.

Advertisement
Really good post.
The season to me, depends on the culture. How will the team respond after losing to Alabama on national TV. (Hopefully they win but just being realistic). Personally I think King and Manny have changed the culture over 3 years so they can respond better to adversity. TBD.
don't forget the Trio, Shoop, T Rob and Simpson. They are instrumental in changing the culture too. T Rob barking and harassing our D players is going to be make them tougher and more resilient.

Every year the same talk that we have elite players. Outside of the two DE freaks, how many players got drafted and what rounds? We did not have elite top 10 talent. This year, only a handful are projected Day 1 or Day 2, maybe only ZION. Everything else is Cane fanatics talking BS. We have recruited well the last two years and for the future we look good, maybe even top 10 but certainly top 15 talent but most of the seniors and juniors we currently have are not at the elite level. Yes, I admit we finally have depth which we never had but Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Georgia, LSU have 4 and 5 stars going 3 deep. We have 3 and 4 starts going two deep for the first time in years but this does not equal 11 wins, LOL. Nevertheless, everyone folks here talking about 11 wins or else. What a clueless bunch that keep on pushing this BS. Now, with the last two recruiting classes we have had, and if we pull kids at the same or better level this year, now we can begin to compete at a top 10 level but not before. That is the truth.

Every year the same talk that we have elite players. Outside of the two DE freaks, how many players got drafted and what rounds? We did not have elite top 10 talent. This year, only a handful are projected Day 1 or Day 2, maybe only ZION. Everything else is Cane fanatics talking BS. We have recruited well the last two years and for the future we look good, maybe even top 10 but certainly top 15 talent but most of the seniors and juniors we currently have are not at the elite level. Yes, I admit we finally have depth which we never had but Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Georgia, LSU have 4 and 5 stars going 3 deep. We have 3 and 4 starts going two deep for the first time in years but this does not equal 11 wins, LOL. Nevertheless, everyone folks here talking about 11 wins or else. What a clueless bunch that keep on pushing this BS. Now, with the last two recruiting classes we have had, and if we pull kids at the same or better level this year, now we can begin to compete at a top 10 level but not before. That is the truth.
Using your post for illustrative purposes.

You listed five teams. That leaves five more teams that HAVE to finish top-10. Regardless of if the team is a great team or not, someone has to finish in those spots.

I consistently say Miami is a third tier team, but the top tier is made up of four teams, realistically. Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, Oklahoma. They're the playoff teams most of the time. That second tier is something like Georgia, LSU, Notre Dame consistently and then whatever popup team that year fills in.

Miami has the blue chip percentage to match up with most of that second tier and now have some age to go with it. I have Miami 8th in my last run of my model and think if they go something like 10-3 they'll finish in that area.

Advertisement
Using your post for illustrative purposes.

You listed five teams. That leaves five more teams that HAVE to finish top-10. Regardless of if the team is a great team or not, someone has to finish in those spots.

I consistently say Miami is a third tier team, but the top tier is made up of four teams, realistically. Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, Oklahoma. They're the playoff teams most of the time. That second tier is something like Georgia, LSU, Notre Dame consistently and then whatever popup team that year fills in.

Miami has the blue chip percentage to match up with most of that second tier and now have some age to go with it. I have Miami 8th in my last run of my model and think if they go something like 10-3 they'll finish in that area.
10-3 is a reasonable expectation. I do not have Miami 8th, LOL but about 15 where most are seeing them. 10-3 is very different from what many posters here who are stating 11 wins or bust. Those folks are totally clueless.

Advertisement
Really good post.
Curious, can you expand on what you’ve seen in the culture that’s changed to respond to adversity? Did you watch our last game? Or the few before it?

Curious, can you expand on what you’ve seen in the culture that’s changed to respond to adversity? Did you watch our last game? Or the few before it?
Last season was a good year. The UNC game was a disaster, but that was also a crazy covid week. I didn't expect them to go undefeated last year. The bowl game actually in my opinion is evidence of their improved culture. They got down huge early, the team leader had a really bad injury, but they fought all the way back and should have won the game.

I don't see a team full of knuckleheads that I saw 5 years ago.

Advertisement
Man dude I can count on in the whole team right now is Deriq king 8 months removed from an ACL… this looks like an 8-9 win team .. best tight end and running back stay injured, Rambo and Harley are jags and way overrated…. Bubba Bolden I don’t know what happened to him.. our linebackers are edge rushers are Duke Quality…. I trust Nesta tho and unless some of sophomores play out of our mind… this is an 8-9 win team

Last edited:
Last season was a good year. The UNC game was a disaster, but that was also a crazy covid week. I didn't expect them to go undefeated last year. The bowl game actually in my opinion is evidence of their improved culture. They got down huge early, the team leader had a really bad injury, but they fought all the way back and should have won the game.

I don't see a team full of knuckleheads that I saw 5 years ago.
****, if pope had not dropped a perfect pass in his hands and stomach at the 7 yard line at the end of the game, i'm pretty sure we win the game. in prior years, miami would have quit after going down early. we fought until the end. culture change!

Attachments

• pope.PNG
    pope.PNG
    519.9 KB · Views: 11
Advertisement
Man dude I can count on in the whole team right now is Deriq king 8 months removed from an ACL… this looks like an 8-9 win team .. best tight end and running back stay injured, Rambo and Harley are jags and way overrated…. Bubba Bolden I don’t know what happened to him.. our linebackers are edge rushers are Duke Quality…. I trust Nesta tho and unless some of sophomores play out of our mind… this is an 8-9 win team

You probably have FSU winning more games

go away

This Barry Jackson article quotes an NFL scout and basically says we do not have nearly the talent needed to finish in the top 10.

Hard to argue his points.

I remember during the AL Golden era he used to post similar columns every year on how much more talented F$U was to our program per so-called NFL scout buddy of his and, as it turned out, his buddy was full of horse *****, especially during Golden's first 2 seasons. If I were an NFL team and BJ's buddy was on my scout staff, I would summarily fire him. But I suspect his buddy is probably a cashier at his local Einstein's Bagels.
In other words, same schtick, different year.

But Cincinnati & Iowa State do. Take a ******* hike.
Both those teams have excellent head coaches that have the capability of out coaching a more talented team to a win. Something manny isn’t and from what I’ve seen from his coaching career never gonna be (deer in headlights). Should’ve hired Gary Patterson In 06 instead of a first time head coach DC from a failed staff. Also shouldn’t have made that same exact mistake again in 2018. Was Zo every right when he said The athletic Dept lacks vision, ****, that’s being kind, UM admin is like Mr Magoo. But i digress, for those not eternally pumping sunshine/drinking the cool aide, Barry’s analysis is spot on about this team. But by all means let the yearly CIS overhyping began! Smh

Advertisement
Back