So does vandy winning 2 out of the last 5

Why the bag theory my friend.I understand what your saying but if this California bill passes that will make the ncaa change its way of doing business.the div 1 scholarship limit should be around the 25 mark for baseball.or more

Yes, the scholarship limits should be higher. No, we can't get private citizens to pay tuition for baseball players.

Advertisement
You are absolutely out of your mind if you think Miami baseball players are paying the numbers you throw out there - and hate to break it to you
but some current Miami players living in real nice houses in Coral Gables and driving really nice cars.

These guys have to lean on that excuse in order to defend the product we've been putting on the field.

UF and FSU would be fighting for the rednecks.....

The CWS teams came from these areas: Tennessee, Kentucky, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Texas, Michigan, north Florida.

Maybe we should be getting more rednecks and fewer south Florida pretty boy showcase heroes.

I do not think that UM players are paying those amounts, but I do think that we carry 4-5 less "star players" than the state schools. We definitely settle for "good students" and wealthy players. Di Mare is open about it. We are lucky with Federman, but also end up opting for Maury over other players that cannot fathom incurring ~$200,000 of debt over three years.

If they increase the scholarships from 11.7 to 19, we "rake". UF and FSU cannot compete on an equal footing with Miami. We would land 100% of the Cuban/Hispanic players and all Americans from Southern Florida. We would also land 100% of the Florida prep school players and the Catholic school kids.

UF and FSU would be fighting for the rednecks.....

The only problem would be USC. They would land players just as elite as us.

One can dream...................
Do you honestly think any player would incur $200,000 in debt to play at Miami vs one of your redneck schools. As far as landing 100% of the
Cuban/Hispanic players, and Catholic school kids, they are one in the same, and you can have them all and while you're rounding them all up
the SEC schools will continue to take kids who play more than one sport and dominate.

Yes, the scholarship limits should be higher. No, we can't get private citizens to pay tuition for baseball players.
It wasn't just for baseball the university has other non revenue generating sports/athletic teams.it was a way to help all of our university nonrevenue sports.

Advertisement
It wasn't just for baseball the university has other non revenue generating sports/athletic teams.it was a way to help all of our university nonrevenue sports.

There is no difference. It's illegal for all athletes, no matter which NCAA sport they play.

But can we find some non-boosters who will all donate $250,000 to pay for walk-on baseball players to go to school for free?????? Isn't that legal??????

Once you donate $1 or a million, you become a booster. Now, if you donate the money to the school and specify it to go to the athletic department, then the school has the option of how they can spend the money. From what I understand the NCAA rules have changed over the years and some of that money may be used to cover certain expenses. The NCAA would have to rule on a case by case basis how the school would be allowed to spend that type of donation.

This is a quote from an 2015 article. " An athlete may not receive funds (via crowdfunding or otherwise) from an agent or a representative of an institution’s athletics interests (e.g. a “booster club”) or an institutional staff member." Also, "An institution or booster club may not accept crowdfunding donations on behalf of an athlete."

Here is some info from another article. "The Power 5 conferences (ACC, Big 12, Big Ten, SEC and Pac-12) have passed legislation guaranteeing the full cost of attendance for scholarship student-athletes. In addition to a tuition free education, student-athletes will now receive yearly stipends of $2,000 to $4,000 intended to cover cost-of-living expenses.

The measure passed with near unanimous support, 79-1, from the 65 schools and 15 student-athlete representatives, three from each conference. Boston College was the only school to vote against it, according to NCAA tabulations"

Could not find where it would cover non scholarship players. Since the NCAA has limited Baseball to 7.5 scholarships, only those players would come under this rule.

There is no difference. It's illegal for all athletes, no matter which NCAA sport they play.
Really guess you never heard of a kid named Whaley.back in 2011 espn did a story on him .he lost his academic scholarship at a fcs school in ok due to his grades.he later enrolled at ou ,he called football operations about walking on.they let do the winter workouts,springball etc.he earned a spot on the team as a rb.spent two years as a walk on and as a walk on became a star running back.his tuition was paid for by another source besides his family the ncaa did not penalize him not ou for this.look it up .

Advertisement
Really guess you never heard of a kid named Whaley.back in 2011 espn did a story on him .he lost his academic scholarship at a fcs school in ok due to his grades.he later enrolled at ou ,he called football operations about walking on.they let do the winter workouts,springball etc.he earned a spot on the team as a rb.spent two years as a walk on and as a walk on became a star running back.his tuition was paid for by another source besides his family the ncaa did not penalize him not ou for this.look it up .

So his uncle paid his tuition. Great story. You, however, want to organize a plan where UM fans, also known as boosters, pay tuition for baseball players.

Great troll job, by the way.

So his uncle paid his tuition. Great story. You, however, want to organize a plan where UM fans, also known as boosters, pay tuition for baseball players.

Not a troll and you know it.I'm cane through and through.I wear no other teams sports gear but the :neonu: s.and when things are going bad for the :neonu: in any sport .I try to dwell on the positive and not the negative stuff like you and some others here.

Your saying every parent out there paying for their kids college education is a booster.boosters donate money and other things to the university.paying a person's tuition does not make you a booster.buying season tickets or attending sporting events don't make you a booster.donations to a university make you a booster.

Your saying every parent out there paying for their kids college education is a booster.boosters donate money and other things to the university.paying a person's tuition does not make you a booster.buying season tickets or attending sporting events don't make you a booster.donations to a university make you a booster.

LMAO. You keep digging deeper.

Who, then, is going to give a kid $250,000 to go to Miami? Line them up for us.

Advertisement

From the Student Athlete Handbook.

"As a student-athlete, there are limitations on the interactions that may occur with any individual that the NCAA identifies as a Representative of the University of Miami’s Athletics Interests (i.e. an “athletic booster”).

BOOSTER: An individual who is a member of the institution’s athletics booster club, has made donations to the booster club or the athletics department, is involved in any manner in recruiting prospects or in providing benefits (e.g. summer jobs) to enrolled student-athletes, or is otherwise involved in promoting the institution’s athletic program.

 The NCAA stipulates that once an individual has been identified as a representative of the University of Miami’s athletics programs he or she retains this status forever (even if the individual no longer contributes to the athletics program).  In addition, a student-athlete becoming friends with an athletic booster and/or employee of UM does not change their status as far as NCAA rules are concerned.  You may NOT receive an extra benefit from any individual that is based directly or indirectly on the fact that you are a student-athlete at the University of Miami. Any individual who provides an extra benefit to a student-athlete that is contrary to the NCAA legislation automatically becomes an athletics representative."

If you buy season tickets, you are automatically a member of the Hurricane Club. Part of the money you pay for season tickets is considered a donation to the Hurricane Club. I have known several player's families and they were all considered boosters be cause they gave UM and/or their son some type of extra benefit. As far as the story about Whaley, the NCAA might have granted him some type of exception due to his special circumstance.

From the Student Athlete Handbook.

"As a student-athlete, there are limitations on the interactions that may occur with any individual that the NCAA identifies as a Representative of the University of Miami’s Athletics Interests (i.e. an “athletic booster”).

BOOSTER: An individual who is a member of the institution’s athletics booster club, has made donations to the booster club or the athletics department, is involved in any manner in recruiting prospects or in providing benefits (e.g. summer jobs) to enrolled student-athletes, or is otherwise involved in promoting the institution’s athletic program.

 The NCAA stipulates that once an individual has been identified as a representative of the University of Miami’s athletics programs he or she retains this status forever (even if the individual no longer contributes to the athletics program).  In addition, a student-athlete becoming friends with an athletic booster and/or employee of UM does not change their status as far as NCAA rules are concerned.  You may NOT receive an extra benefit from any individual that is based directly or indirectly on the fact that you are a student-athlete at the University of Miami. Any individual who provides an extra benefit to a student-athlete that is contrary to the NCAA legislation automatically becomes an athletics representative."

If you buy season tickets, you are automatically a member of the Hurricane Club. Part of the money you pay for season tickets is considered a donation to the Hurricane Club. I have known several player's families and they were all considered boosters be cause they gave UM and/or their son some type of extra benefit. As far as the story about Whaley, the NCAA might have granted him some type of exception due to his special circumstance.
Thank you for the information.

LMAO. You keep digging deeper.

Who, then, is going to give a kid $250,000 to go to Miami? Line them up for us.
Your be surprised at who and how many that would do that.especially those who came from poor backgrounds and had become successful.not everyone is middle-class snob like you.you call me a troll but you claim to be a cane fan.surprisingly every time you get a chance you run this university and it's athletic department down.you never have anything positive to say about it.that makes you a troll not me.

Advertisement
Your be surprised at who and how many that would do that.especially those who came from poor backgrounds and had become successful.not everyone is middle-class snob like you.you call me a troll but you claim to be a cane fan.surprisingly every time you get a chance you run this university and it's athletic department down.you never have anything positive to say about it.that makes you a troll not me.

You keep attacking me personally, but all I have done is point out the stupidity behind your ideas. I haven't said one negative thing about the athletic department. IT CAN'T BE DONE.

Those people who came from poor backgrounds and became successful and have a donor's heart are already contributing to schools and charities. They aren't going to be swayed by your argument that Miami needs baseball players.

You keep attacking me personally, but all I have done is point out the stupidity behind your ideas. I haven't said one negative thing about the athletic department. IT CAN'T BE DONE.

Those people who came from poor backgrounds and became successful and have a donor's

sorry if f I attacked you I know I shouldn't have called you a snob.that wasn't my intentions.but you have basically called me an idiot and actually labeled me as a troll.this post was a discussion on scholarship limits hurting the baseball team.all I was making was a sugestion.back before social media those athletes on partially scholarships often got jobs .a few on full scholarships did also.got really good pay for doing very little.

Honestly, the best course of action is to place him on ignore. Do not respond to it. Completely ignore it.

It perplexes me to no end, but it derives inordinate satisfaction from: lambasting the team, inciting the masses and then running over to the Gator forum to "brag" about it........

When he posts about Football on this site, 50+ posters attack him on his love of Richt and his Frost/Kelly prognostications, so he cannot post over there. On the baseball forum, there are 10 of us so he can withstand the furor. There is no point interacting with it. It is looking for conflict. When the team wins, he disappears. If enough people ignore it, then it may finally go away.

Honestly, the best course of action is to place him on ignore. Do not respond to it. Completely ignore it.

It perplexes me to no end, but it derives inordinate satisfaction from: lambasting the team, inciting the masses and then running over to the Gator forum to "brag" about it........

When he posts about Football on this site, 50+ posters attack him on his love of Richt and his Frost/Kelly prognostications, so he cannot post over there. On the baseball forum, there are 10 of us so he can withstand the furor. There is no point interacting with it. It is looking for conflict. When the team wins, he disappears. If enough people ignore it, then it may finally go away.

Then tell him how right he is. Tell him that he has a splendid idea.

Advertisement
Back