So does vandy winning 2 out of the last 5

It's legal under the law. It is not legal under the NCAA.
When a player/athlete is on scholarship whether it be a whole or partial has to abide the rules governing that scholarship.a student/athlete who isn't on a scholarship can get aide from any legal source available.smart guy Stanford ,Stanford and others call it endowments .which is basically a donor driven program to offset the cost of tuition.why is it you seem dumb founded at the prospect of getting a program like that started .the ncaa is under fire for profiteering off of athletes now is the time to approand them and get an approval for it.

Advertisement
An endowed scholarship is completely different than "giving money to someone".

UM raised $4B billion over two campaigns and donors only allocated $35M from the $4B to athletics.

Soffer and her son are on record saying that they had never watched a UM game. The IPF was divine intervention.

Stanford's endowment is at $26.5B and Vanderbilt has a $6.4B endowment. UM's endowment is $1B............

The "objective fan" can see that Di Mare is performing at an elite level. After missing the tournament the past two years, he produced a #16 team. They placed him in a Regional with the #7 team in the country, but that did not diminish his stellar turnaround.

We did not reach Omaha between 2009 and 2014, but were consistently top 16 all of those years (and the committee seeded us "regionally" rather than on performance, which hurt our performance in the playoffs during those years). We were in Omaha in 2015 and 2016 and then dealt with the program's worst two seasons and rebounded to a top-20 ranking during 2019. We will have a top 8 team next year.

We still attract excellent talent that is willing to pay 6x per annum to attend UM over other state schools. Look at the 2020 and 2021 recruiting classes. The team remains elite despite scholarship limitations that are decimating other private schools.
I agree with what your saying about the team.where it's at and the direction of is going.I was just trying to tell those complaining about the scholarship limitations.there are legal ways to get around the tuition cost differential.but instead of trying to find a solution more chaos .

It is called an impermissible benefit. All money, tuition, supplies, or anything given to a student athlete has to be cleared by the NCAA. Do you think the NCAA will clear some random person paying 250k for tuition for athletes at UM?

Per the NCAA examples
You can’t be careful enough when it comes to staying on the right side of the NCAA’s rules about extra benefits. An extra benefit is something offered to a student-athlete that wouldn’t be offered to any other student at your school.
For example, you can’t receive unauthorized help with your rent, transportation, food, or school supplies. Before you accept any benefit or gift, make sure you clear it with your school’s compliance officials.
How can a student get extra benefits of they aren't on a scholarship.if you notice schools get hammered for athletes getting more bags,cars,meals,clothing beyond scholie limits.not how an athlete gets their tuition paid for.and how do you know the ncaa wouldn't allow Miami to run a program like that when they haven't been asked.the ncaa is getting hammered now for its profits off of student athletes.now is the time to act and find out last years I'd agree but think ncaa could be open to anything that'll get them good pr.

When a player/athlete is on scholarship whether it be a whole or partial has to abide the rules governing that scholarship.a student/athlete who isn't on a scholarship can get aide from any legal source available.smart guy Stanford ,Stanford and others call it endowments .which is basically a donor driven program to offset the cost of tuition.why is it you seem dumb founded at the prospect of getting a program like that started .the ncaa is under fire for profiteering off of athletes now is the time to approand them and get an approval for it.

Good lord.

Endowments provide financial aid for ALL students. You’re trying to create some program that gives aid to walk on athletes. Everyone else seems to understand that you can’t do it like that.

What ncaa rules are broken when a students tuition,room and board are paid for by another source besides a scholarship.why do you think vandy and Stanford call it endowements.your problem is your not problem solver but you love to point fingers and complain while blaming others .what you seem to misunderstand is they can have programs where donors donate money and it can be legally used by the university to help themselves offset the cost of tuition.Oklahoma has done it several times two of them ending up being heisman winners.

Because this generous donor is called a booster. Boosters can’t give gifts to athletes. My dog understands this.

Advertisement
Every year I receive an email or a brochure with my season ticket package from UM regarding the NCAA and UM rules pertaining to being a booster. If you have ever given as much as $1 to the athletic department, you are considered a booster for life. Giving anything of value to an athlete has to be reported in writing to the athletic department by the receiving athlete. There are specific forms they have to fill out. This also extends to their families. You can't give anything of value to an athlete's family.

This is a link to the handbook that all student athletes get when they come to UM. Page 26 relates to what I have posted above. It only comes in PDF form. But read the whole handbook to get an idea of what these kids have to follow. Besides the NCAA rules, UM has came up with their own rule set above and beyond the NCAA rules.

Good lord.

Endowments provide financial aid for ALL students. You’re trying to create some program that gives aid to walk on athletes. Everyone else seems to understand that you can’t do it like that.
Why aren't they students too.

Why aren't they students too.

Yes, they are students. Students who play sports. Sports are governed by the NCAA. Students who play sports that are governed by the NCAA can’t get free gifts such as free tuition from a booster. Hope this helps.

Because this generous donor is called a booster. Boosters can’t give gifts to athletes. My dog understands this.
That's true if the athlete is on a scholarship.if the athlete isn't on a full/partial scholarship it can't be extra benefits be cause the athlete isn't receiving any.university itself cannot help a walkon/no scholarship athlete.but a private citizen can.that's what I'm trying to get over to you.Oklahoma has had two heisman winners that were walk one and I'll get they don't owe a tuition or room and board bill to that university.

Advertisement
That's true if the athlete is on a scholarship.if the athlete isn't on a full/partial scholarship it can't be extra benefits be cause the athlete isn't receiving any.university itself cannot help a walkon/no scholarship athlete.but a private citizen can.that's what I'm trying to get over to you.Oklahoma has had two heisman winners that were walk one and I'll get they don't owe a tuition or room and board bill to that university.

They were walk ons until they were given full scholarships.

If a private citizen pays the tuition and fees for an athlete, that private citizen is now a booster who is providing an illegal benefit. I can keep saying it over and over if I need to.

Yes, they are students. Students who play sports. Sports are governed by the NCAA. Students who play sports that are governed by the NCAA can’t get free gifts such as free tuition from a booster. Hope this helps.
They can't get anything from anyone tied to the university as for booster/alumni etc.they can't eat or travel the teametc.flip side to s a scholarship athlete can't go a restaurant and get a meal on the house,clothes,shoes etc.but a non scholarship athlete can eat a prime rib on the house at marinos everyday .get free clothes,shoes etc it can't come from the university.

They can't get anything from anyone tied to the university as for booster/alumni etc.they can't eat or travel the teametc.flip side to s a scholarship athlete can't go a restaurant and get a meal on the house,clothes,shoes etc.but a non scholarship athlete can eat a prime rib on the house at marinos everyday .get free clothes,shoes etc it can't come from the university.

LMAO. Who is this? You got me good.

They were walk ons until they were given full scholarships.

If a private citizen pays the tuition and fees for an athlete, that private citizen is now a booster who is providing an illegal benefit. I can keep saying it over and over if I need to.
good then I'm going pay tuition for a bama,Clemson,fsu and Florida athlete then turn them in .

Advertisement
Just curious....how is it going to fix our problem if the solution is to give non scholarship baseball players free shoes?

To help those who can't or won't read and/or understand the rules, let me give you some examples. The player is starving. You can't invite the player to your house and give him a meal. You can't buy the player a hamburger off of the $1 menu. If you see the player standing in a pouring rain storm looking for a ride, you can't stop and give them a ride. If there is a death in the family, he has to get permission to rent a car to go home. You can't give the player money to buy a ticket for a bus, train or plane. If you are friends with the family and you see them in a restaurant, you can't buy them a meal or a drink. If by some chance there might be a question about something that the player thinks has broken the rules, he has to report it to the compliance office. They in turn, report it to the NCAA for a ruling.

Advertisement
To help those who can't or won't read and/or understand the rules, let me give you some examples. The player is starving. You can't invite the player to your house and give him a meal. You can't buy the player a hamburger off of the $1 menu. If you see the player standing in a pouring rain storm looking for a ride, you can't stop and give them a ride. If there is a death in the family, he has to get permission to rent a car to go home. You can't give the player money to buy a ticket for a bus, train or plane. If you are friends with the family and you see them in a restaurant, you can't buy them a meal or a drink. If by some chance there might be a question about something that the player thinks has broken the rules, he has to report it to the compliance office. They in turn, report it to the NCAA for a ruling.

But can we find some non-boosters who will all donate $250,000 to pay for walk-on baseball players to go to school for free?????? Isn't that legal??????

The athlete wouldn’t allow that to happen because the athlete understands the rules better than you do.
Why the bag theory my friend.I understand what your saying but if this California bill passes that will make the ncaa change its way of doing business.the div 1 scholarship limit should be around the 25 mark for baseball.or more

The SEC will never acquiesce. Tuition at SEC schools is ~85% less than at Private Schools. The SEC's Foundations are just able to fund football and basketball payouts (i.e. "bags"). They cannot add baseball to the payroll.

As it is, public universities from Georgia, Tennessee, Florida and Louisiana can offer students minimal tuition requirements. University of Florida annual tuition is $6,381 versus $47,004 for UM. With a 3.0 GPA in Florida, Bright Lights provides $6,000 a year in aid for Florida students. Georgia's "in-state"scholarships are even more generous, and Tennessee's and Louisiana's are comparable to Florida's. Factor in rent and food costs and UM is at a colossal disadvantage.

Arkansas has tuition of $8,801 per annum, and it provides a $2,000 scholarship to in-state students, along with $5,200 from the average 11.7 scholarships. In-state baseball players can basically attend Arkansas for free......

Mississippi has the Nissan scholarship for in-state students and also the Mississippi Scholarships.....

Over three years, Miami baseball players pay $122,250 MORE in tuition alone. They also pay $48,000 more in rent and $23,400 more in food costs. That is why local UM baseball players live at home......

The NCAA President is from the SEC and he will never allow these rules to change............

Imagine Miami recruiting with an even playing field...............
You are absolutely out of your mind if you think Miami baseball players are paying the numbers you throw out there - and hate to break it to you
but some current Miami players living in real nice houses in Coral Gables and driving really nice cars.

You are absolutely out of your mind if you think Miami baseball players are paying the numbers you throw out there - and hate to break it to you
but some current Miami players living in real nice houses in Coral Gables and driving really nice cars.

I do not think that UM players are paying those amounts, but I do think that we carry 4-5 less "star players" than the state schools. We definitely settle for "good students" and wealthy players. Di Mare is open about it. We are lucky with Federman, but also end up opting for Maury over other players that cannot fathom incurring ~$200,000 of debt over three years.

If they increase the scholarships from 11.7 to 19, we "rake". UF and FSU cannot compete on an equal footing with Miami. We would land 100% of the Cuban/Hispanic players and all Americans from Southern Florida. We would also land 100% of the Florida prep school players and the Catholic school kids.

UF and FSU would be fighting for the rednecks.....

The only problem would be USC. They would land players just as elite as us.

One can dream...................

Advertisement
Back