So...did we overrate King?

He’s a good runner, I’ll give him that but I don’t think he’s been very good at throwing from the pocket. Our OL certainly hasn’t been helping and our receivers aren’t helping much either but he had a bunch of errant throw the last 2 weeks. How many screens or swing passes did he miss today?

Advertisement
Biggest thing for me is he needs to be used more like Nick Marshall and get him involved in the QB run game more often. He's not a natural, smooth passer of the football. He needs space or defined reads.

Honestly, the press-man coverage we have seen the last two games is the big kryptonite for the Air Raid offense because it takes away a lot of the RPO/Mesh/Smash concepts that the offense thrives on.

I've been more disappointed in the over reliance on the inside-zone plays in the run game and lack of creative run plays to get more consistency on early downs. I'd throw the ball on 1st down more often, as well.

We also scored 31 points and had the opportunity for more, so I can't be too upset.

We did overrate him with all the Heisman talk, just like we overrate most players as is normal for fans. With that said, he is a massive upgrade at the position compared to years past, and he gives us a good chance to win most games.

I agree with others that he needs to run more as he clearly has some moves, but I get the sense he is trying to put together a draft tape and wants to show he can throw the ball.

This can be a great year for us. There's not a game on the schedule that we can't win with this team. Keep the great recruiting class we have, go into next year with our only losses to Clemson, and the momentum starts to roll in the right direction. This is a year that will have ripple effects one way or another for at least a couple years.

Advertisement
King hasn’t played well lately but the oline and receiver play has been issues. Lashlee playcalling hasn’t been what it should be the last 2 games as well. So no, it’s not just king
This is true however those 2 ints today had nothing to do with protection...which was good or the WRs

Some on hear are guilty of knee jerk reactions to everything. Just tune in to the live game thread. So many sissies. We got ahead of ourselves with King, Lashlee and the OL. Definitely a huge improvement, but a work in progress. Anyone who really thought all our ills were cured had on rose colored glasses. We’re better, but can be so much better. The let down after scores is mind boggling. We haven’t won **** in years and the kids act like their up 40 when they’re up 14. That comes from the top.

Go Canes!

See y’all next week when he balls out against VA and y’all will be on his nuts again.

Advertisement
I felt like for the first time King was actually accurate with his deep go routes receivers just couldn’t bring them in whether it be drops or PI. To me that was encouraging

Average Oline + Limited QB = less success when put on film. It is now Lashlee’s job to see that & adjust. Need to be more creative in the run game & use middle of the field more. Besides that I’m happy we won. Normally we mail it in & we fought all day. Wasn’t pretty but Pitt is not a god awful team. They’re a solid try hard pain in your *** team. Honestly the game was never in doubt.

I thought yesterday's game was ugly as **** but it was also against a team with an excellent front 7 and a head corch whose only strength is fielding a competent D. And it was a game following a road game against the #1 team in the country. And our WRs looked like crap again, our best pass catcher was injured and our o-line play was average to mediocre.

So I'm personally going to reserve judgement on Lashlee and especially King.

King is Nick Marshall 2.0. Marshall and Lashlee were good enough to get Auburn into the national championship game. I will take it.

Advertisement
I get struggling against Clemson, but yikes he does not look as advertised

Probably still good enough to get to 9 to 10 wins, but that's a little disappointing
You talk this smack and forget about the porous OLine in front of him. No one is happy about the INT's, but c'mon man. Get real!

Advertisement
Only here :youre-nuts: after having endured a 6-7 record would some in the fanbase complain :noidea:about the best QB they've had here since Dorsey leading them to a 4-1 start.:rk5i6fxwjlgev5j6.jpg:

Could he do better?.....Sure...EVERYONE on the team including the staff could do better

Still I'm elated he chose to come here ......instead of going somewhere else and taking another team to the next level as he's done here to date

I tell you what, If Lashlee's still here.......we'll definitely miss him when he leaves us

Last edited:
CIS overrates everyone on the offseason. EVERYONE. People were acting like it was just impossible to lose to a team we shouldn’t in 2020.

Having said that, King is still a good QB. He has amazing determination and will make plays happen when pressed.

The ultimate problem, is he is still surrounded by the same team that fell to FIU.

Advertisement
Back