So...did we overrate King?

King is a good dual threat QB. King is Nick Marshall 2.0, until proven otherwise. That’s no insult because Marshall was a national championship game QB.

I have seen King unable to throw accurate screens and flares. King missed a wide open Payton in the end zone against UAB. Harley even had to stretch and make a difficult catch for a ball yesterday that should have been a simple throw on his TD. King also underthrew Keyshawn Smith on a deep ball yesterday (again). But King had some great great runs, which set up other things for the offense.

In defense of Lashlee, King threw four TDs yesterday (Harris, Harley and twice to Mallory) and the receivers in all four instances were uncovered. I don’t recall watching a college football game where I see so many easy TDs. IMHO, that means the OC is doing his job and doing it well.

Advertisement
More than a few said he'd be frustrating with his accuracy at times. The WR's, and frankly the playcalling aren't doing him any favors.

You must have expected tom brady?? King doing what he needs to. he has not been our problem. Clear leader and every qb misses some throws. The way he extends plays with his running ability is just what we need with this offense. Yall calling out the playcalling and king like we not putting up 30 pts a game. This team struggled to score on la tech and fiu last year what they are doing is a miracle.

Advertisement
The good news is he will not get drafted playing like this and will probably come back for another year in the system. He’s waaaay better than Kosi but I’m not sure how big the gap is between him and TVD

This is what i hate abt our fans bro yall calling for TVD and we havent even seen him play. Yall called for Jarren and he was dogsh*t let it play out if he is good enough he will play. TVD needs to be using this time to learn etc.

Some on hear are guilty of knee jerk reactions to everything. Just tune in to the live game thread. So many sissies. We got ahead of ourselves with King, Lashlee and the OL. Definitely a huge improvement, but a work in progress. Anyone who really thought all our ills were cured had on rose colored glasses. We’re better, but can be so much better. The let down after scores is mind boggling. We haven’t won **** in years and the kids act like their up 40 when they’re up 14. That comes from the top.

Go Canes!
Really good point about coming from the top, D$ serves some kool aid and a few podcasts and the kids think we’re ready for the Chiefs.

Most in here definitely did, I kept saying we'll see if he can beat out perry, about the only thing he has over perry is his leadership qualities, playing wise, Perry would start torching teams in real games, he's just not the best practice player but when the light come on. Been saying it, this is the ACC not that weak conference he came from, the picks are starting to show up now on a regular basis because he stares down his receivers to much on.out routes. That's a throw where the qb is suppose to take his 3 step drop and the ball should be coming out, instead he keeps waiting and thinking he has the arm strength to get it there, if he doesn't make those 2 tackles, both of those were of the pick-6 variety.

Also what people gotta realize, as of right now, we're scoring on alot of schemed touchdowns, not on alot of fundamental football, the big plays are nice, we're not really out talenting people, and here's the other thing, the more tape teams get on king and rhett the more our fundamental flaws will consistently show. We're nowhere close, in the meantime, like we said earlier this year, coach norvell is going to get them boys prepared up at FSU, we got em this year the way we did because norvell wasn't on the sidelines, that travis qb and webb combination with good health is going to set-up nicely for them, we have got to get better.

I like rhett, but he's going to have to modify something's in order to be consistently successful, it's not about getting 75 to 80 offensive plays, we just need to become much more efficient on the plays we do call, to much obvious 1st down passing with this offense. Scoring on gimmick plays that bail you out and makes the game seem different than what it actually was won't last long.
I get struggling against Clemson, but yikes he does not look as advertised

Probably still good enough to get to 9 to 10 wins, but that's a little ddisappoin

I definitely overrated him. I never watched him play before he came here. I just heard the hype and saw the stats. I guess I was expecting something like Denard Robinson or Nick Marshall. Some people here talked about him like he was Michael Vick or Kyler Murray.

Turns out he is smaller, slower, less athletic and has a weaker arm than I expected. On top of that he makes some puzzling reads on when to keep or give the ball on zone reads. He doesn’t have NFL athleticism or an NFL arm, if he leaves early he’s going to be very disappointed.

Still, he’s a leader and outside of top 10 teams he can likely lead the hurricanes to decisive wins consistently. Miami needs guys like him to put together 4-5 years of winning consistently to rebuild the program into what it can be.

Advertisement
I get struggling against Clemson, but yikes he does not look as advertised

Probably still good enough to get to 9 to 10 wins, but that's a little disappointing
I’m pretty sure that yet again, much of our base sold themselves a bill of goods that our OL was “vastly” improved.

Teams are going to put 9-10 players within 10 yards of LOS until King proves he can beat them with his arm. With our OL, we're not going to be able to run against that consistently. Lashlee has to figure this out.

He’s not throwing to Ahmmon and 6’5” Lawrence Cager.

Or Berrios for that matter.

Clemson might’ve been a 4th quarter game with those guys.

As more power 5 teams get film on King working within Lashlee's offense, the less productive King will be. He's a QB with a lot of limitations.

Agree, but part of those limitations are a combination of his OL play, WR play, and maybe even part of that is Lashlee. Lashlee is hampered by all three in some regards as well.

I was saying last week that his deep ball is a liability, but he's not getting help there. Still with a clean pocket and targets getting open down the field with space, I can't say that I would trust King to deliver in stride.

Advertisement
You must have expected tom brady?? King doing what he needs to. he has not been our problem. Clear leader and every qb misses some throws. The way he extends plays with his running ability is just what we need with this offense. Yall calling out the playcalling and king like we not putting up 30 pts a game. This team struggled to score on la tech and fiu last year what they are doing is a miracle.
How did you read my post and think this was a logical, warranted reply?

More than a few said he'd be frustrating with his accuracy at times. The WR's, and frankly the playcalling aren't doing him any favors.
Huh, the playcalling?? The scheme has created for him more gimme TDs than anyone else in college football. O line erratic (williams out yesterday really hurt vs Pitt DEs) and starting receivers so far below average they can't look up and see average.

Advertisement
I missed on the Butler OL transfer, but I feel pretty good about how I evaluated D'Eriq King coming to Miami.

Overall
King is not a dropback passer who will read a defense and pick apart their weaknesses. He is a QB who will have simple reads in the passing game and use pace and space to open throwing windows for him. When the first two reads are not there, look for King to try and escape the pocket.

There was some inaccuracy in his tape and at times his mechanics are a mess, both in his footwork, and in his arm mechanics. He has an inconsistent stride length and that causes him to both dirt the ball and to sail passes high.

He more than makes up for any inconsistency throwing the ball with an unbelievable ability to run with the ball. King will make plays for this offense that will amaze fans and frustrate defenses. It should be fun to watch the offense again, rather than just hoping they don’t ***** it up for the defense.

Biggest thing for me is he needs to be used more like Nick Marshall and get him involved in the QB run game more often. He's not a natural, smooth passer of the football. He needs space or defined reads.

Honestly, the press-man coverage we have seen the last two games is the big kryptonite for the Air Raid offense because it takes away a lot of the RPO/Mesh/Smash concepts that the offense thrives on.

I've been more disappointed in the over reliance on the inside-zone plays in the run game and lack of creative run plays to get more consistency on early downs. I'd throw the ball on 1st down more often, as well.

We also scored 31 points and had the opportunity for more, so I can't be too upset.

The last time I saw any imagination in our run game was the counter play Richt broke out against ND that Homer hit for big runs. That’s CRAZY.

Go Canes!

Advertisement
Back