Since we have the time...what are the top 5 positions we need to bring in from the portal this offseason?

At this time, I don't see any glaring hole that absolutely needs to be addressed. The CB talk is overplayed-- we're going to have two seniors with a ton of experience and Couch. Our issue there is the lack of high-upside young players. You fix that through recruiting, not the Portal.

Use the Portal for NFL players. Get impact guys at any position. We've built a nice track record of landing real players, not stopgaps.
We need LBs. Grown, strong LBs that can shed blocks. That's what I'd be looking for in the portal.

Advertisement
Question: I was under the impression if we bring a full class of 25 that we could not add any transfers, in other words I thought total recruits plus transfers should equal 25 or less, is that not correct? Or are the transfer in addition to the # of recruits and capped at the 85 grand total team #?
Transfers count as initial counters so we will be limited on how many we can bring in. I can’t see more than one or two unless you bring in someone late enough to count towards next year.

Why don't need a serviceable corner. We need good corners. Those spots are better served on freshmen with potential.
Yep. Would rather have a CB with potential. But what if we can't recruit one? We'd be one or two injuries away from disaster.

I'm thinking they must have a plan. They understand depth charts more than anyone.

Advertisement
1. Solid CB who can start right away.
2. QB (if King leaves). Even if this is a backup to TVD, we will have a very shallow bench next season unless we bring in Garcia or some other stud true frosh QB.
3. Solid LB, unless we get Terrence or some other surprise studly true frosh LB.
4. A solid OG. I actually think we will be fine at T next year. Now, if some monster LT suddenly became available, you definitely take him, but otherwise, we will be decent to good at T next year, but not as good in the interior.
5. Another solid CB

What are your choices?
Biggest recruiting Diaz needs to do is convincing King, Brevin, Phillips, and other to bring they asses back

Do you guys really think a portal LB will come here with all the LB’s on the roster? Miami has 4 LB’s coming in and has 8 on the roster. They only play 2 at a time and there’s been a rotation of 4-5 guys so there isn’t much PT out there. Now if McCloud and Jennings hopefully leave after this year then yes you have to think someone would be interested.

Advertisement
1. Solid CB who can start right away.
2. QB (if King leaves). Even if this is a backup to TVD, we will have a very shallow bench next season unless we bring in Garcia or some other stud true frosh QB.
3. Solid LB, unless we get Terrence or some other surprise studly true frosh LB.
4. A solid OG. I actually think we will be fine at T next year. Now, if some monster LT suddenly became available, you definitely take him, but otherwise, we will be decent to good at T next year, but not as good in the interior.
5. Another solid CB

What are your choices?
Hopefully we're not able to bring in 5, because we have full class of top-flight recruits

Why don't need a serviceable corner. We need good corners. Those spots are better served on freshmen with potential.
That’s true in theory but in practice, we have no CB’s in this class. We still need someone from somewhere at some level to come in to contribute immediately after this season.

People don’t seem to understand that Cam might go to the draft and Burns may transfer. Then you are left with 3 guys. **** 4 guys isn’t enough.
Pretending the RB sky is falling is such a waste of time. We would have Rooster, Chaney, and Franklin and there are probably 10 other guys on the team that were RBs in HS and could easily make the transition. **** we've had at least a couple guys in the past do it and make the NFL at RB as a result (ie: Damien Berry).

Advertisement
Freshmen with potential who won't play because they'll be sitting on the bench behind 2 slow upperclassmen who will get every snap despite making constant mistakes & not playing well... Which is the exact same thing that's happened with the LB group & the "experienced" McCloud.

We need a big time CB to pair up with Couch & that will push Blades & Ivey to the sideline.

It would be great to land one from HS, but you know just as well as I do that that's not happening lol.

We’ve been told Blades is gone, so that generates a need.
That's insane for Blades, unless he doesn't feel like he's getting enough snaps because of Couch's emergence.

If it's because he thinks he's ready to get drafted...whoa....talk about delusional. If he's thinking he's leaving for the draft, some family member, friend or Ed Reed, needs to sit him down and shoot straight with the young man. He really just needs to stay here and develop more before leaving in hopes of a draft position or greener pastures at another school.

I hope that's a groundless rumor, for our sake and Al's.

Advertisement
Freshmen with potential who won't play because they'll be sitting on the bench behind 2 slow upperclassmen who will get every snap despite making constant mistakes & not playing well... Which is the exact same thing that's happened with the LB group & the "experienced" McCloud.

We need a big time CB to pair up with Couch & that will push Blades & Ivey to the sideline.

It would be great to land one from HS, but you know just as well as I do that that's not happening lol.

You said a big-time CB. I’ll take a big-time CB in the Portal all day.

But there aren’t big-time CBs in the Portal. Those guys go pro. We were lucky to get Dee Delaney, and he’s the same level as Blades and Ivey.

I’m not wasting a spot unless it’s an NFL guy.

You said a big-time CB. I’ll take a big-time CB in the Portal all day.

But there aren’t big-time CBs in the Portal. Those guys go pro. We were lucky to get Dee Delaney, and he’s the same level as Blades and Ivey.

I’m not wasting a spot unless it’s an NFL guy.
I don't disagree, but there's a wide definition of a NFL guy at CB, Jimmy Moreland was a 7th round pick from James Madison & he's still a starter for the Redskins.

You're absoluetly right about the Portal being bare on quality Corners though, that's literally the one position where you can't find an abundance of good players in the Portal because good corners don't transfer as often because they usually play early.

Finding & developing a HS CB is ideal, our problem is we have no traction in HS CB recruiting, we're literally 2 weeks from Early NSD & don't have a single natural Corner committed & don't even have any heat in landing one, we're literally at square one in CB recruiting as if we haven't had all year to recruit one, we can't really rely on HS recruiting for CB's because we simply do it at a below average level & can barely do the bare minimum.

Advertisement
Back