Since we have the time...what are the top 5 positions we need to bring in from the portal this offseason?

Advertisement
Advertisement
I don't disagree, but there's a wide definition of a NFL guy at CB, Jimmy Moreland was a 7th round pick from James Madison & he's still a starter for the Redskins.

You're absoluetly right about the Portal being bare on quality Corners though, that's literally the one position where you can't find an abundance of good players in the Portal because good corners don't transfer as often because they usually play early.

Finding & developing a HS CB is ideal, our problem is we have no traction in HS CB recruiting, we're literally 2 weeks from Early NSD & don't have a single natural Corner committed & don't even have any heat in landing one, we're literally at square one in CB recruiting as if we haven't had all year to recruit one, we can't really rely on HS recruiting for CB's because we simply do it at a below average level & can barely do the bare minimum.
So, outside of replacing Rumph (he's had years to try to change his recruiting and hasn't done so, DVD can only do so much) or fingers crossed a multi-year portal guy shows up, we are S.O.L. With Blades likely gone it's going to be Couch and Ivey with Dunson, Clarke and Curtis battling it out for the 3rd spot/nickel. Are any of the safeties we've recruited able to serve in the nickel role? A. Williams, if healthy? I mean this is a ridiculous problem to have and a 100% self inflicted issue because no one seems to be a grown up and call out their peer for not doing a large portion of their job.

Is their any attempt to push for some of the tri-county high potential CBs? I know you mentioned we don't have any heat and you're plugged in so it sounds like the coaches are actually content right now from what you hear? Could they just be waiting until after ENSD to reset the board and see who doesn't sign early then push?

So, outside of replacing Rumph (he's had years to try to change his recruiting and hasn't done so, DVD can only do so much) or fingers crossed a multi-year portal guy shows up, we are S.O.L. With Blades likely gone it's going to be Couch and Ivey with Dunson, Clarke and Curtis battling it out for the 3rd spot/nickel. Are any of the safeties we've recruited able to serve in the nickel role? A. Williams, if healthy? I mean this is a ridiculous problem to have and a 100% self inflicted issue because no one seems to be a grown up and call out their peer for not doing a large portion of their job.

Is their any attempt to push for some of the tri-county high potential CBs? I know you mentioned we don't have any heat and you're plugged in so it sounds like the coaches are actually content right now from what you hear? Could they just be waiting until after ENSD to reset the board and see who doesn't sign early then push?
Blades will probably come back, he's likely not going to get a draftable grade by the Draft advisory board.

As for the Safeties, no, not IMO. Idk where or why people always think Tae Williams can play Corner, in every instance in camp settings where he had to display man coverage he looked like a fish out of water, he never played CB in HS, he was a RB/S/KR/PR, plus he'll be coming back from a serious injury, so Idk where the CB stuff with him came from.

I think the staff is still pushing for M. Brown & Marvin Covington, maybe they'll sign one of'em.

I have no idea if they're recruiting any other CB's, I'm guessing they'll sign a HS kid or try to get one out the portal.

Recruit better & stop relying on the portal.
Issue with that is shouldn't really have issues with the recruiting. No matter how much people ***** and moan about Misses from one coach or another, the kids we've been getting across the board are physically gifted and talented enough that in the acc right now we should be more than fine. The problem we have at far too many positions to speak on is development... Kids are regressing or learning nothing and that don't cut it.

Blades will probably come back, he's likely not going to get a draftable grade by the Draft advisory board.

As for the Safeties, no, not IMO. Idk where or why people always think Tae Williams can play Corner, in every instance in camp settings where he had to display man coverage he looked like a fish out of water, he never played CB in HS, he was a RB/S/KR/PR, plus he'll be coming back from a serious injury, so Idk where the CB stuff with him came from.

I think the staff is still pushing for M. Brown & Marvin Covington, maybe they'll sign one of'em.

I have no idea if they're recruiting any other CB's, I'm guessing they'll sign a HS kid or try to get one out the portal.
Tae ain't playing corner no time soon unless he's convinced staff otherwise. Main point of concern with him coming out of school was his ability to read the deep ball.

Advertisement
Issue with that is shouldn't really have issues with the recruiting. No matter how much people ***** and moan about Misses from one coach or another, the kids we've been getting across the board are physically gifted and talented enough that in the acc right now we should be more than fine. The problem we have at far too many positions to speak on is development... Kids are regressing or learning nothing and that don't cut it.
Bro, u know u ain’t gotta tell me that. I know that & have been an avid poster to that very fact.

Maybe those kids aren't that good brotha. Is that a possibility? Urban Meyer seems to think many south fla. players are poorly coached, and extremely raw. That has a lot to do with development, whether we admit it or not. Combine that with the mentality shift that has occurred in the recruits within the last 20 yrs, and you get the situation we have today.

This fanbase needs to learn how to interject nuance into the discussion, and place blame accordingly. It's never as simple as black & white

Last edited:
Maybe those kids aren't that good brotha. Is that a possibility? Urban Meyer seems to think many south players are poorly coached, and extremely raw. That has a lot to do with development, whether we admit it or not. Combine that with the mentality shift that has occurred in the recruits within the last 20 yrs, and you get the situation we have today.

This fanbase needs to learn how to interject nuance into the discussion, and place blame accordingly. It's never as simple as black & white
Huh? Urban is right in part. Coaching is horrible in the south. Which makes our issue far bigger. The staff coaching kids up needs to be a priority. You don't see anywhere in america hesitating to recruit kids from the south. They simply Excell primarily on staffs capable of doing there jobs. These kids we have are kids **** near as a whole that were recruited everywhere. Sure some kids are definitely missed that everyone simply got wrong. But nah that's not the case when you're discussing the majority. The mentality shift plays into the bigger picture. Coaching and development is pivotal. Evaluations are pivotal. Recruit kids who mesh with what you as a staph are capable of... Its not new at this point.

Maybe those kids aren't that good brotha. Is that a possibility? Urban Meyer seems to think many south fla. players are poorly coached, and extremely raw. That has a lot to do with development, whether we admit it or not. Combine that with the mentality shift that has occurred in the recruits within the last 20 yrs, and you get the situation we have today.

So does that means this staff’s evaluation is poor?

Advertisement
Huh? Urban is right in part. Coaching is horrible in the south. Which makes our issue far bigger. The staff coaching kids up needs to be a priority. You don't see anywhere in america hesitating to recruit kids from the south. They simply Excell primarily on staffs capable of doing there jobs. These kids we have are kids **** near as a whole that were recruited everywhere. Sure some kids are definitely missed that everyone simply got wrong. But nah that's not the case when you're discussing the majority. The mentality shift plays into the bigger picture. Coaching and development is pivotal. Evaluations are pivotal. Recruit kids who mesh with what you as a staph are capable of... Its not new at this point.

My fault. I meant to say Urban thinks many South Fla. players are poorly coached, and extremely raw. I'm not disputing the fact that there is elite talent in South Fla-obviously there is. I'm saying irrespective of whether the recruits are highly ranked or underrated, you need an elite coaching staff to be able to properly identify & evaluate that talent. So the development part of the equation more or less solves itself. Granted the players are put in the best position to succeed. Today this university is incapable & unwilling to allocate the necessary resources to acquire that sort of staff. Once upon time when the program was independent this was a lot easier to do. Also Butch Davis was an all time great talent evaluator, so he's definitely the exception and not the norm. By and large today, the elite talent evaluators, also happen to be the best HCs. If it was all coaching & development, many former players would've gone on to have better NFL careers, instead of being journeymen

Last edited:
My fault, I meant to say Urban thinks many South Fla. players are poorly coached, and extremely raw. I'm not disputing the fact that there is elite talent in South Fla. Obviously there is. I'm saying irrespective of whether the recruits are highly ranked or underrated, you need an elite coaching staff to be able to properly identify & evaluate that talent, so the development part of the equation more or less solves itself. Granted the players are put in the best position to succeed. Today this university is incapable & unwilling to allocate the necessary resources to acquire that sort of staff. Once upon time when the program was independent this was a lot easier to do. Also Butch Davis was an all time great talent evaluator, so he's definitely the exception and not the norm. By and large today, the elite talent evaluators, also happen to be the best HCs. If it was all coaching & development, many former players would've gone on to have better NFL careers, instead of being journeymen
Couldn't get past the first sentence but I agree they are talented but poorly coached.
The rest started to run together. Paragraphs are you friend. Trust me

Advertisement
So does that means this staff’s evaluation is poor?

Yes, but who's truly at fault here? For example if I hire someone to perform a job they are incapable of doing, who's fault is it when that person fails-theirs or mine for hiring them? Believe me I'm not trying to excuse CMD and his coaching staff for their failures, but it's important that we at least keep things in proper perspective. The talent advantage that MIA supposedly has over other programs, doesn't mean ****, if you don't have the right staff. Essentially MIA needs a HC that can do more with less, like Kirk Ferentz. How many Kirk Ferentz are there in CFB today? A HC that does less with more less like Kirby Shart can't save this program

Last edited:
Couldn't get past the first sentence but I agree they are talented but poorly coached.
The rest started to run together. Paragraphs are you friend. Trust me

Are you saying you're just not smart enough to understand what I wrote?

Yes, but who's truly at fault here? For example if I hire someone to perform a job they are incapable of doing, who's fault is it when that person fails-theirs or mine for hiring them? Believe me I'm not trying to excuse CMD and his coaching staff for their failures, but it's important that we at least keep things in proper perspective. The talent advantage that MIA supposedly has over other programs, doesn't mean ****, if you don't have the right staff. Essentially a HC that can do more with less, like Kirk Ferentz. How many Kirk Ferentz are there in CFB today? A HC that does more with less like Kirby Shart can't save this program
Bro; u do realize that every single **** on defense has been under the watch of Manny Diaz, correct? Richt gave him full reign on that side when he signed on the dotted line in 2016.

1. Solid CB who can start right away.
2. QB (if King leaves). Even if this is a backup to TVD, we will have a very shallow bench next season unless we bring in Garcia or some other stud true frosh QB.
3. Solid LB, unless we get Terrence or some other surprise studly true frosh LB.
4. A solid OG. I actually think we will be fine at T next year. Now, if some monster LT suddenly became available, you definitely take him, but otherwise, we will be decent to good at T next year, but not as good in the interior.
5. Another solid CB

What are your choices?

"1. Solid CB who can start right away."

Good luck with that! Not many of those around.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back