Since we have the time...what are the top 5 positions we need to bring in from the portal this offseason?

Huh? Urban is right in part. Coaching is horrible in the south. Which makes our issue far bigger. The staff coaching kids up needs to be a priority. You don't see anywhere in america hesitating to recruit kids from the south. They simply Excell primarily on staffs capable of doing there jobs. These kids we have are kids **** near as a whole that were recruited everywhere. Sure some kids are definitely missed that everyone simply got wrong. But nah that's not the case when you're discussing the majority. The mentality shift plays into the bigger picture. Coaching and development is pivotal. Evaluations are pivotal. Recruit kids who mesh with what you as a staph are capable of... Its not new at this point.

Yep. South Florida players aren't the problem. Signing the right kids and coaching them up is the problem.

Advertisement
My fault. I meant to say Urban thinks many South Fla. players are poorly coached, and extremely raw. I'm not disputing the fact that there is elite talent in South Fla-obviously there is. I'm saying irrespective of whether the recruits are highly ranked or underrated, you need an elite coaching staff to be able to properly identify & evaluate that talent. So the development part of the equation more or less solves itself. Granted the players are put in the best position to succeed. Today this university is incapable & unwilling to allocate the necessary resources to acquire that sort of staff. Once upon time when the program was independent this was a lot easier to do. Also Butch Davis was an all time great talent evaluator, so he's definitely the exception and not the norm. By and large today, the elite talent evaluators, also happen to be the best HCs. If it was all coaching & development, many former players would've gone on to have better NFL careers, instead of being journeymen
I’ve touched on this, and this is not an accurate assessment. Coaching & development goes from Pop Warner, to traveling/7 on 7 leagues, to HS, to College, to the NFL. It’s a progression. If our players are not being developed in college, by the time they reach the NFL, they are light yrs behind the 8 ball. They have to compete w/ current NFL vets & college kids who were properly developed. The NFL is a “now” league.

The reason why we were NFLU is not just b/c of draft picks; we sent NFL ready guys who came in & immediately impacted the league. They were well coached, physically & mentally developed. I don’t see that from the guys who are coming up out The U, now; and I don’t see a staff full of guys who can develop that.

Bro; u do realize that every single **** on defense has been under the watch of Manny Diaz, correct? Richt gave him full reign on that side when he signed on the dotted line in 2016.
I think he definitely deserves blame for the LB recruiting, and besides Rumph the CB position, because his Defense devalues the position. He also deserves blame for hiring Baker & Patke, and not firing Rumph. These are not P5 level coaches by any stretch of the imagination. If he does not relieve them of their duties this offseason he is more or less sealing his fate

Bro we need a serviceable play now guy just for 21 and we still have no one for the class.
Not many incoming freshmen are going to be serviceable in year one. Underclassmen in the portal will have to sit a year. If we need someone serviceable in 2021, we're already screwed unless a graduate transfer appears in the portal.

The only positions I've seen freshmen contribute in any numbers (except for special teams) are RB and WR. Generally, we have to think of recruiting 2 years ahead of when we need them on the field. Linemen maybe three.

Advertisement
Not many incoming freshmen are going to be serviceable in year one. Underclassmen in the portal will have to sit a year. If we need someone serviceable in 2021, we're already screwed unless a graduate transfer appears in the portal.

The only positions I've seen freshmen contribute in any numbers (except for special teams) are RB and WR. Generally, we have to think of recruiting 2 years ahead of when we need them on the field. Linemen maybe three.
Yeah, I agree like I’m sure you do that we need to recruit and develop but we have a player count and talent void at CB right now that will need a bandaid while we get a recruiter on staff who can bring those kids in, starting in 2021.

I have no faith otherwise for the current class. I just need one of the Super Slurpers to come in here and convincingly tell me it’ll be ok. Lol

Huh? Urban is right in part. Coaching is horrible in the south. Which makes our issue far bigger. The staff coaching kids up needs to be a priority. You don't see anywhere in america hesitating to recruit kids from the south. They simply Excell primarily on staffs capable of doing there jobs. These kids we have are kids **** near as a whole that were recruited everywhere. Sure some kids are definitely missed that everyone simply got wrong. But nah that's not the case when you're discussing the majority. The mentality shift plays into the bigger picture. Coaching and development is pivotal. Evaluations are pivotal. Recruit kids who mesh with what you as a staph are capable of... Its not new at this point.
Particularly the bolded.

I’ve touched on this, and this is not an accurate assessment. Coaching & development goes from Pop Warner, to traveling/7 on 7 leagues, to HS, to College, to the NFL. It’s a progression. If our players are not being developed in college, by the time they reach the NFL, they are light yrs behind the 8 ball. They have to compete w/ current NFL vets & college kids who were properly developed. The NFL is a “now” league.

The reason why we were NFLU is not just b/c of draft picks; we sent NFL ready guys who came in & immediately impacted the league. They were well coached, physically & mentally developed. I don’t see that from the guys who are coming up out The U, now; and I don’t see a staff full of guys who can develop that.

So then how do you explain guys that were late rd draft picks, or UFA, exceeding expectations in the NFL, by making active rosters, earning multiple contracts, making pro bowl teams, and in some cases even all-pro honors? MIA is still putting players into the NFL. The quality & the quantity is not there. MIA became NFLU by implementing NFL systems, and having NFL caliber coaches on both sides of the ball. It is much easier to do this in a pro town like MIA, than in Tuscaloosa

Advertisement
So then how do you explain guys that were late rd draft picks, or UFA, exceeding expectations in the NFL, by making active rosters, earning multiple contracts, making pro bowl teams, and in some cases even all-pro honors? MIA is still putting players into the NFL. The quality & the quantity is not there. MIA became NFLU by implementing NFL systems, and having NFL caliber coaches on both sides of the ball. It is much easier to do this in a pro town like MIA, than in Tuscaloosa
Scouting my brotha. Majority of late draft picks come from mid major programs. Programs that are often overlooked, and have some str8 gems (ironically, a lot of those guys also come from FL).

And u r right, we r still putting players in the league, and a lot of them r JAGs or straight out the league, while others literally start becoming players in the league by their 3rd - 4th yr (ironically, that coincides to the 3 - 4 yrs of coaching/developing they should’ve gotten here)

That happens with late round and udfa because they are kids who with proper coaching they can stand out. They have the tools. They simply never had the coaching. If we had coaching to go along with the kids we have been getting then we wouldn't be having kids dependent on late round picks and udfa as the primary way to get in the league now with us.

Lets see here...... Assuming King leaves
1) QB
2)CB
3)CB
4)CB
5)OG
6) OG
7) LB(This low because I think much is the answer is already on the roster in Huff, Cave, Brooks(will improve), Flagg and Chase Smith will play LB)
8)RB

Advertisement
The biggest issue is Manny hiring yes men! Its not their fault they got hired for a job they shouldn't have! There is no way in **** anyone on this forum has faith in Manny's defensive staff to develop players into studs. He hired all these guys for a reason and he did that on purpose. Not because he thought they were the best coaches for the job, but because he knows they will ride with him no matter what and not see all his flaws as a DC and now HC. Sad reality

Advertisement
The biggest issue is Manny hiring yes men! Its not their fault they got hired for a job they shouldn't have! There is no way in **** anyone on this forum has faith in Manny's defensive staff to develop players into studs. He hired all these guys for a reason and he did that on purpose. Not because he thought they were the best coaches for the job, but because he knows they will ride with him no matter what and not see all his flaws as a DC and now HC. Sad reality
And this fan base gets comfort from that fact........... 🤯

Largely overlooked, but you absolutely take a big bodied WR if there's the right one to be had.

CB is the top of the board, although I do believe if we have everyone back, they take their chances. Crazy right?

QB, that all depends on how they see the backups. You have to believe in two of them to pass.

Could use another transfer at OT imo. Donaldson, Rivers, Walker, Seymour, Rodriguez is a shot in the arm but we'll need a RT and don't tell me John Campbell is the answer.

Pro Football Focus ranks Corey Gaynor’s 2020 performance 78th among 112 centers. D.J. Scaife is 134th and Jakai Clark 185th among 239 guards.

Could use another transfer at OT imo. Donaldson, Rivers, Walker, Seymour, Rodriguez is a shot in the arm but we'll need a RT and don't tell me John Campbell is the answer.

Pro Football Focus ranks Corey Gaynor’s 2020 performance 78th among 112 centers. D.J. Scaife is 134th and Jakai Clark 185th among 239 guards.
Campbell is not the answer. But Scaife should lose his OG spot to Donaldson/rivers/Campbell and move back to RT.

Advertisement
Back