Since we have the time...what are the top 5 positions we need to bring in from the portal this offseason?

Advertisement
1. Solid CB who can start right away.
2. QB (if King leaves). Even if this is a backup to TVD, we will have a very shallow bench next season unless we bring in Garcia or some other stud true frosh QB.
3. Solid LB, unless we get Terrence or some other surprise studly true frosh LB.
4. A solid OG. I actually think we will be fine at T next year. Now, if some monster LT suddenly became available, you definitely take him, but otherwise, we will be decent to good at T next year, but not as good in the interior.
5. Another solid CB

What are your choices?

Spots are not free!! They count thru the 25 maximum. So the wish list must be way shorter

Question: I was under the impression if we bring a full class of 25 that we could not add any transfers, in other words I thought total recruits plus transfers should equal 25 or less, is that not correct? Or are the transfer in addition to the # of recruits and capped at the 85 grand total team #?

2. QB (if King leaves). Even if this is a backup to TVD, we will have a very shallow bench next season unless we bring in Garcia or some other stud true frosh QB.
3. Solid LB, unless we get Terrence or some other surprise studly true frosh LB.
4. A solid OG. I actually think we will be fine at T next year. Now, if some monster LT suddenly became available, you definitely take him, but otherwise, we will be decent to good at T next year, but not as good in the interior.
5. Another solid CB

What are your choices?
DC
LB coach
DB coach
QB if King leaves
CB

Advertisement
Realistic chance of getting a transfer starter? CB and QB (if King leaves)

Positions we could sign a contributor/rotational player? DE, G/C

Seems like they know Headley isn’t leaving and I know he’s publicly said that he’s probably not going to and is planning to finish his education...

But if he does... punter becomes #1 priority on the list unless King leaves and we need a QB.

Seems like they know Headley isn’t leaving and I know he’s publicly said that he’s probably not going to and is planning to finish his education...

But if he does... punter becomes #1 priority on the list unless King leaves and we need a QB.

seems like everyone around the program assume or know hes coming back, which is fine by me.

we need a QB to push TVD
we need a CB in the worst way to start alongside couch
we need some college ready OL since this year is kindve a wreck on development

Advertisement
seems like everyone around the program assume or know hes coming back, which is fine by me.

we need a QB to push TVD
we need a CB in the worst way to start alongside couch
we need some college ready OL since this year is kindve a wreck on development
It would have to be a no doubter on the OL. There’s not room to waste a scholarship on another guy that can’t play.

At CB we should take Dontye Carriere Williams. We’ve passed on him out of HS, passed on him transferring to Vandy, and now he’s moving again. Definitely the best option in the portal right now with immediate eligibility.

At this time, I don't see any glaring hole that absolutely needs to be addressed. The CB talk is overplayed-- we're going to have two seniors with a ton of experience and Couch. Our issue there is the lack of high-upside young players. You fix that through recruiting, not the Portal.

Use the Portal for NFL players. Get impact guys at any position. We've built a nice track record of landing real players, not stopgaps.

At this time, I don't see any glaring hole that absolutely needs to be addressed. The CB talk is overplayed-- we're going to have two seniors with a ton of experience and Couch. Our issue there is the lack of high-upside young players. You fix that through recruiting, not the Portal.

Use the Portal for NFL players. Get impact guys at any position. We've built a nice track record of landing real players, not stopgaps.

Curious to your thoughts on why the CB talk is overplayed? We have two seniors yes, they are OK players, one of them may get passed up shortly by the 3rd player in Couch. Dunson is a TF who has seen minimal burn and has speed issues. Marcus Clarke is a converted WR. In the 2021 class we have no true CB committed, another ATH in Marcus Clarke. Seems a bit more than concerning.

When you can't recruit CB, which we are struggling right now, you better get someone in the portal.

Curious to your thoughts on why the CB talk is overplayed? We have two seniors yes, they are OK players, one of them may get passed up shortly by the 3rd player in Couch. Dunson is a TF who has seen minimal burn and has speed issues. Marcus Clarke is a converted WR. In the 2021 class we have no true CB committed, another ATH in Marcus Clarke. Seems a bit more than concerning.

CB is a real issue but it needs to be addressed through recruiting. We don't need a stopgap. Now, if we have a chance to land an NFL corner, we should make that move. But I don't see the need to waste a spot on someone like Dontye Carriere-Williams who is not as good as the guys we have.

Advertisement
CB is a real issue but it needs to be addressed through recruiting. We don't need a stopgap. Now, if we have a chance to land an NFL corner, we should make that move. But I don't see the need to waste a spot on someone like Dontye Carriere-Williams who is not as good as the guys we have.
I agree with you there about Williams. I guess we will have to wait an see what happens over the next month or so and who puts their names in.

5. Another solid CB

What are your choices?
Im not sure people comprehend this. If you do understand what bringing in transfers does for the overall program than all good I suppose. But if you target transfers at multiple positions each year all that does is impede the overall growth of the program. Sooner or later you gotta stop with band aids and actually develop kids we recruit to the program because they are 3-4 year solutions(which allows u depth and the time to develop his eventual replacements etc) opposed to what's usually 1 year and then they are gone...

Advertisement
Bro we need a serviceable play now guy just for 21 and we still have no one for the class.

Advertisement
Back