Since 2009 vs UF and FSU tells the story

We all know what's about to happen here. It's like clockwork at this point:

(1) I'm going to destroy your post.
(2) You're going to disappear for three days.
(3) You will come back with more insults and ignore the fact that I destroyed this post.

A 60-game season is statistically significant. If we are top-8 during a 60-game season, we SHOULD face lower seeds because we earned the privilege.

Who said we shouldn't face lower seeds? At some point, champions play equal or better seeds. At the beginning of next season, Miami will have gone ten years without beating an equal or higher seed in the post-season. Ten years. A full decade without a win over a #1 seed.

A 3-game series to Dartmouth during the second week of the season is meaningless.

Right, except for the fact that it is literally THE series that kept us out of the post-season. And I'm not sure how much baseball you've watched, but getting shut out twice by Dartmouth isn't meaningless. It means you suck as an offense.

Morris failed this year badly

Groundbreaking.

OF COURSE he played BC and VCW.... His team EARNED that right.

His teams also earned the right to play other #1 seeds. For ten years. And we couldn't beat one of them. Not one.

I look at 2013-2016, and it is mathematically obvious that Morris "righted the ship" and made us elite once again. Being a top-8 seed for two consecutive years, AND making Omaha, is highly statistically significant.

You wouldn't know "statistically significant" if it walked up and punched you in the mouth. You're just about the worst numbers guy I've ever seen. Morris' improved record against a woefully overrated ACC is far from significant. One thing didn't change: his inability to beat other #1 seeds in the post-season. That hasn't changed one bit.

The gnome picks and chooses data. He does not utilize an unbiased data-set because he possesses rudimentary knowledge in the field. There is no point in arguing until the detractors take several classes on probability and discreet mathematics (or Morris fails again next year). Based on Morris' track record, I think that he will excel next year, but that is an opinion.

Quit trying to act like a professor. You have no idea how to apply math, probability, or statistics to any of this. If you did, you would know to stay far, far away because the data proves that Jim Morris has been coasting for ten years.

Goodbye until your next immature, insult-filled post.

Advertisement
The team we saw during the second half was on a trajectory to win 40-games.... Dartmouth was the second series of the year.....

Looking at a 5-year sample, the 2017 team was the outlier...... 2013 and 2014 showed marked improvement, and 2015 and 2016 were the culmination of that trajectory. We will see if 2017 is the norm or the aberration next year.... You may be right; however, there was statistically significant and tangible improvement during the latter half of the 2017 season (12-16 versus 20-13; 2/3 of the team batting 0.300 versus 100% batting 0.200).

You will NEVER understand these concepts. Ever. I glance at the data and it is obvious (albeit, it is my livelihood). Giving directions to the general populace, and incessantly poring over the internet, will never enable you to comprehend what is so obvious to the minority of this 'Board'. Frankly, this intransigence belies the challenges that the US faces at present. (Omaha is the epitome of randomness, but you will NEVER comprehend that. Ever.)

The team we saw during the second half was on a trajectory to win 40-games.... Dartmouth was the second series of the year.....

It was actually the third series of the year, but knowing that would require the ability to read a schedule. It was the second series of the year for Dartmouth, a non-scholarship team that spends late fall and all winter indoors. So it makes perfect sense that the team at Miami would be trying to catch up to them.

You may be right.

Ya think.

You will NEVER understand these concepts. Ever. I glance at the data and it is obvious (albeit, it is my livelihood). Giving directions to the general populace, and incessantly poring over the internet, will never enable you to comprehend what is so obvious to the minority of this 'Board'. Frankly, this intransigence belies the challenges that the US faces at present. (Omaha is the epitome of randomness, but you will NEVER comprehend that. Ever.)

You can keep on with the "I know this stuff better than you" routine, but no one is buying it. You bring nothing of any statistical value to this discussion. And the only reason you're trying to take that angle is that you have no idea how to recognize a guy missing a cutoff or a runner making a mistake on the bases. The quality of baseball has declined. You can't recognize that, so your only option is to try to twist some meaningless stat in Morris' favor.

This guy lol

Not only does he completely ignore every single confounding variable that the statistics he looks at contains(for a guy who's a "pro" at this, you seem inept at reading them and determining value) but then he pounds his chest and say "I'm right".

Certain stats matter such as OBP, WAR, AVG, and others but that's not the entirety of baseball and you thinking so shows you have absolutely no idea at what you're looking at or even how to play Baseball.

Stats aren't going to excuse Morris from waiting so long to tweak the lineup to the same lineup that batted .300 as a team, it doesn't excuse our lack of quality arms or depth that's plaguing this program, and it definitely doesn't excuse his in-game decisions.

If baseball was all about stats then the Oakland A's would be slated one of the greatest teams in baseball and would've collected a couple of World Series rings but guess what? Coaching and talent still matter more.

The gnome picks meaningless figures (Dartmouth is 3rd series rather than 2nd, etc..) and bases his conjencture on this meaningless minutia.

The gnome portends to be the "baseball expert". I do not. My opinion is based on the data at hand. During MOrris' worst stretch, he outperformed ~83% of the 294 NCAA coaches in division 1 baseball. The trajectory between 2013 and 2016 was statistically significant. It was not due to random chance. During the past two regular seasons, Morris was superior to ~97.5% of all other coaches. The fact that he made Omaha two years in row equates to outperformance that exceeded ~99.65 of the other coaches.

You two are the baseball experts.

My view is that one does not fire a coach that is top percentile 2 of the past 3 years. (Even during his worst stretch, he was top ~17%.)

Advertisement
The gnome picks meaningless figures (Dartmouth is 3rd series rather than 2nd, etc..) and bases his conjencture on this meaningless minutia.

The gnome portends to be the "baseball expert". I do not. My opinion is based on the data at hand. During MOrris' worst stretch, he outperformed ~83% of the 294 NCAA coaches in division 1 baseball. The trajectory between 2013 and 2016 was statistically significant. It was not due to random chance. During the past two regular seasons, Morris was superior to ~97.5% of all other coaches. The fact that he made Omaha two years in row equates to outperformance that exceeded ~99.65 of the other coaches.

My view is that one does not fire a coach that is top percentile 2 of the past 3 years. (Even during his worst stretch, he was top ~17%.)

I think the hockey guy just got owned!

Nobody is talking about firing Morris. Next year is his last year anyway.

Hu? Are you for real?

The Dartmouth thing is why you should never, ever, try to talk baseball. You tried to make the point that it was early, therefore it would be expected that our bats would be cold. What you forgot is that Dartmouth practices in New Hampshire and had been outside for literally one week before they managed to throw two shutouts against the team that can practice 365 days a year.

Oh, plus Dartmouth doesn't give athletic scholarships.

Hold on.....you claim to be a pro at this, but you somehow came to the conclusion that Jim Morris was THE BEST coach in college baseball over the last two years. 294 x .9965 = 293 and he "exceeded 99.65% of the other coaches". Funny, I thought I saw us lose to Florida six out of eight times in those two years. But, JIM IS THE BEST and YOU ARE A PRO AT NUMBERS.

Laughable analysis.

With people like you on the board, it doesn't take much.

Advertisement
The Dartmouth thing is why you should never, ever, try to talk baseball. You tried to make the point that it was early, therefore it would be expected that our bats would be cold. What you forgot is that Dartmouth practices in New Hampshire and had been outside for literally one week before they managed to throw two shutouts against the team that can practice 365 days a year.

Oh, plus Dartmouth doesn't give athletic scholarships.

Hold on.....you claim to be a pro at this, but you somehow came to the conclusion that Jim Morris was THE BEST coach in college baseball over the last two years. 294 x .9965 = 293 and he "exceeded 99.65% of the other coaches". Funny, I thought I saw us lose to Florida six out of eight times in those two years. But, JIM IS THE BEST and YOU ARE A PRO AT NUMBERS.

Funny I didn't see where anyone but you proclaim Morris the best, he merely provided statistics to back up his position.
You're also either very naive or disingenuous as it pertains to Dartmouth.
It's widely known that Ivy schools use other methods to provide assistance to athletes so them not giving scholarships is meaningless. **** they probably get more money that Miami's kids who mostly receive partial scholarships.
As is the remark about practicing outside, are pitchers not allowed to throw indoors?
I was an angry as anyone for Miami to lose a series to them, but stop acting like their a rag tag group of walk-ons.

Advertisement

Hu? Are you for real?

Who's saying fire Morris at this point with one year left? He should have been gone several years ago. But that's moot.

Hu? Are you for real?

Who's saying fire Morris at this point with one year left? He should have been gone several years ago. But that's moot.

So you have read this thread and you can't come up with one single name of who would fire Morris?

I actually graduated from Dartmouth. They have an indoor practice facility usable for all sports. Every now and again they are top-20 in lacrosse, so they need decent indoor facilities. They have a colossal endowment. On a per capita basis, they are one of the wealthiest schools in the country. Admittedly, their facilities for football are subpar, but they are elite for lacrosse, hockey and skiing.

They were 101 in baseball RPI this year, out of 294 teams, so technically they were markedly better than the mean and median. I believe that we lost the first game 2-0 or 1-0, and it was 3rd series of the year, so one should not place much emphasis on that series.

2017 was a disaster, but 2015 and 2016 were beyond elite using any mathematical rationale. The gnome claims that "there is an asterisk next to UM's College World Series record for both 2015 and 2016 because they did not beat Florida, nor did they beat a #1 seed." This is a bald-faced lie. The official NCAA records delineate that UM made the World Series in both 2015 and 2016 and there is no asterisk next to the record.

Advertisement
Funny I didn't see where anyone but you proclaim Morris the best, he merely provided statistics to back up his position.

How slow are you? He claimed that Jim Morris outperformed 99.65% of the coaches in America. With a basic calculator you can see that he thinks Morris outperformed 293 of them. If there are 294 coaches, how many does that leave? Seriously, it's not trigonometry.

You're also either very naive or disingenuous as it pertains to Dartmouth.
It's widely known that Ivy schools use other methods to provide assistance to athletes so them not giving scholarships is meaningless. **** they probably get more money that Miami's kids who mostly receive partial scholarships.
As is the remark about practicing outside, are pitchers not allowed to throw indoors?
I was an angry as anyone for Miami to lose a series to them, but stop acting like their a rag tag group of walk-ons.

*they're

I love the excuses for the Dartmouth series. They shut us out twice, but you apologists somehow think it was just another series, too early to gauge our team. As bad as you people are at this, it's no wonder that you're still defending the guy who missed the NCAA tournament at Miami.

...so one should not place much emphasis on that series.

Except for the fact that it kept us out of the tournament. Otherwise, nothing to see here. Normal series in which we can't score against an Ivy League team.

2017 was a disaster, but 2015 and 2016 were beyond elite using any mathematical rationale. The gnome claims that "there is an asterisk next to UM's College World Series record for both 2015 and 2016 because they did not beat Florida, nor did they beat a #1 seed." This is a bald-faced lie. The official NCAA records delineate that UM made the World Series in both 2015 and 2016 and there is no asterisk next to the record.

Don't be a c0cksucker. For real. There is not a single instance in which I claimed there is an "asterisk" next to UM's College World Series record. I don't care if you're stupid, just don't be dishonest. It really shows your character. Worst of all, the fact that you have to make up quotes shows that I won this thing a year ago. You're desperate.

The fact that he made Omaha two years in row equates to outperformance that exceeded ~99.65 of the other coaches.

He was in the top 00.35% of coaches, which means he was in the top 1, but there's no explanation for how Kevin O'Sullivan also made Omaha twice AND beat Jim Morris 6 out of 8 times. This is coming from the guy who claims to know stats.

Hu? Are you for real?

So you have read this thread and you can't come up with one single name of who would fire Morris?

Just read it again. Didn't find a single post advocating for Morris to be fired.

Advertisement
Back