Since 2009 vs UF and FSU tells the story

Baseball hasn't beaten a top quality team in the NCAAT (in a regional, super regional, or Omaha) in a decade.

Now you add weasel words like "top quality" to your argument. Of course the vast majority of the time we were far inferior to those "top quality" teams we were playing.

And then you don't count 43-win, Big 12 Tournament Champion Texas A&M (20 RPI) as a "top quality" team because that doesn't fit into your narrative.

Or 45-win, College World Series team Texas Tech (17 RPI) because, well, that wouldn't fit your narrative.

Or another College World Series team, Arkansas, because obviously that wouldn't fit your narrative either.

You're so transparent.

Advertisement
but the downward trend is blatantly obvious to any reasonable observer.

This is a program that won more games (or the same) than the previous season in each of the last 5 years before 2017.

But because they missed the postseason one whole time in 44 years the 'downward trend is blatantly obvious'?

What reasonable person would say this is a downward trend?

50 (CWS)
50 (CWS)

You're hopeless.

The point is pretty clear. We haven't been good enough to beat a #1 seed (and often lesser seeds) in the post-season for nine straight years. That's not a small sample size.

2016 - as #1 , beat #4 , #3 , #3 , #3 , #3 + lost to #3 to get to Omaha, then lost to #2 and #2 .
2015 - as #1 , beat #4 , #3 , #3 , #4 , #4 + lost to #3 to get to Omaha, then lost to #1 , beat #2 , lost to #1 (blown out twice)
2014 - as #1 , beat #4 , #4 , #2 + lost to #2 , #2 - eliminated in home regional
2013 - as #2 , beat #3 + lost to #1 , #3 - eliminated in road regional
2012 - as #1 , lost to #4 , #3 - eliminated in home regional
2011 - as #2 , beat #3 , #3 + lost to #1 , #1 - eliminated in road regional
2010 - as #1 , beat #4 , #2 , #2 + lost to #2 to get to Super Regional, then lost to #1 , #1
2009 - as #2 , beat #3 , #3 + lost to #1 , #1 - eliminated in road regional

In games we were expected to win, we were 21-11.
In games we were expected to lose, we were 0-7.
In games of equal seeding, we were 0-2.

So while our opponents manage to pull off the upset a third of the time, we have not beaten a higher or equal seed in 9 years. One would think that in the crazy randomness of baseball in which Columbia can knock off a national seed, we would be able to beat a higher seed just once.

I'm sorry I didn't see wham early enough to bam him before he ruined this thread.

Combined 20 wins, 43 losses

vs UF: 9 wins, 26 losses (including an amazing stretch of post-season ineptitude resulting in a record of 0 wins and 8 losses)
vs FSU: 11 wins, 17 losses

Beating FIU, Columbia, Virginia Commonwealth, Stetson, Long Beach State, and Boston College to get to back to back CWS in '15 and '16 (followed by a combined 1-4 in Omaha) does nothing to reverse this obvious slide. The program is in bad shape. Hopefully this season was rock bottom. Unfortunately, it feels like we're only up to Larry Coker....

One of the all time great posts here. The fact it made people angry proves it's quality. This place has always been a Morris/DiMare worship center. I'm glad TCgrad blasphemed the truth.

Advertisement
So you mean to tell me we have to endure the streak ending AND the pro-Jim Morris ******** sticking up for him? This is too much.

You really shouldn't take this quite so seriously, it's not healthy.

Yeah, I'm over it now. You were absolutely right, though. Why would I want a team that I love to be good at anything? Fortunately now we're irrelevant in all 3 major sports so I have no need to worry or stress about them anymore.

#Gino2019

Advertisement
Combined 20 wins, 43 losses

vs UF: 9 wins, 26 losses (including an amazing stretch of post-season ineptitude resulting in a record of 0 wins and 8 losses)
vs FSU: 11 wins, 17 losses

Beating FIU, Columbia, Virginia Commonwealth, Stetson, Long Beach State, and Boston College to get to back to back CWS in '15 and '16 (followed by a combined 1-4 in Omaha) does nothing to reverse this obvious slide. The program is in bad shape. Hopefully this season was rock bottom. Unfortunately, it feels like we're only up to Larry Coker....

I tell you what man, if losing a home stand against Dartmouth isn't rock bottom, get me a gun.

In your Coker example, what is scary is 2015 and 2016 representing 2002 in AZ. Riding some good bats with subpar coaching and not getting it done when it counts. Once the top dogs are gone, and the coaching is the end all be all....it topples like a house of cards.

This program truly needs a shot in the arm, unfortunately I have a feeling it is sadly at a time where our AD is basking in his Richt hire and IPF light and in legend mode with Morris to do what he wants. I have sent my plethora of unhappy alumni e-mails to Blake the last few years, but I have ZERO faith anything will change.

UM

So you mean to tell me we have to endure the streak ending AND the pro-Jim Morris ******** sticking up for him? This is too much.

You really shouldn't take this quite so seriously, it's not healthy.

Yeah, I'm over it now. You were absolutely right, though. Why would I want a team that I love to be good at anything? Fortunately now we're irrelevant in all 3 major sports so I have no need to worry or stress about them anymore.

#Gino2019

You don't quite understand the meaning of the word irrelevant do you?

Advertisement
I'm sorry I didn't see wham early enough to bam him before he ruined this thread.

So you banned him because he had a different opinion?

You shouldn't take this quite so seriously, it's not healthy.

Weak, I'm not calling anyone "********" I'm asking a question.

You asked a loaded question in which you assumed that he was banned for having a different opinion. If you actually had a question, it would have been "why was he banned?"

I don't understand banning TitanCane/Piccolo/WhamBamMan. He's a Morris apologist with flailing trollish arguments, but I don't think he's done anything to warrant banning. :noidea:

I don't understand banning TitanCane/Piccolo/WhamBamMan. He's a Morris apologist with flailing trollish arguments, but I don't think he's done anything to warrant banning. :noidea:

I think his banishment was from stuff that happened on the football board. It got personal over there.

Also, he was Canes0177 on Grassy. TitanCane was a different Morris lover.

Advertisement

So you banned him because he had a different opinion?

You shouldn't take this quite so seriously, it's not healthy.

Weak, I'm not calling anyone "********" I'm asking a question.

You asked a loaded question in which you assumed that he was banned for having a different opinion. If you actually had a question, it would have been "why was he banned?"

No actually I used the banners own post to logically conclude that he was banned due to his opinion. The statement was very clear, "...I didn't see wham early enough to bam(sic) him before he ruined this thread." Not exactly a stretch on my part to come to that conclusion, but thanks for the input.

He's not band forever, gents.

When someone has been band for good reason (Piccolo) and returns under another name and immediately starts playing the provocative fiddle, there's less grace extended. If it was about "having an opinion" the board would be a ghost town.

No actually I used the banners own post to logically conclude that he was banned due to his opinion. The statement was very clear, "...I didn't see wham early enough to bam(sic) him before he ruined this thread." Not exactly a stretch on my part to come to that conclusion, but thanks for the input.

Right, because the one and only way to ruin a thread is to have a different opinion. Good detective work.

A 60-game season is statistically significant. If we are top-8 during a 60-game season, we SHOULD face lower seeds because we earned the privilege. On this board, people with training in statistics support Morris and those with little math skills do not.

A 3-game series to Dartmouth during the second week of the season is meaningless.

Morris failed this year badly, BUT he showed marked improvement during the second half of the season. He made Omaha two years in a row and won 50-games both of those years. OF COURSE he played BC and VCW.... His team EARNED that right.

Me trying to explain this to the gnome is akin to Hawkins explaining to me his findings on the galaxy. I look at 2013-2016, and it is mathematically obvious that Morris "righted the ship" and made us elite once again. Being a top-8 seed for two consecutive years, AND making Omaha, is highly statistically significant. If 2018 becomes an abomination, then the detractors gain credence. The data currently irretrievably refutes them.

The gnome picks and chooses data. He does not utilize an unbiased data-set because he possesses rudimentary knowledge in the field. There is no point in arguing until the detractors take several classes on probability and discreet mathematics (or Morris fails again next year). Based on Morris' track record, I think that he will excel next year, but that is an opinion.

Advertisement
Back