Since 2009 vs UF and FSU tells the story

Actually gnome, assuming 294 teams and the reality that only three teams made it to both the 2015 and 2016 World Series implies a probability of 2.03%. Such outperformance is highly significant. The 60-game sample size bolsters the point. It would be interesting to note how many teams won 50-games during both of those years. Morris was beyond elite in both 2015 and 2016. He was better than 98% of Division 1 coaches. (By the way, you are lying about the asterisk).

On the basis of wins in 2017, Miami was only better than ~0.55 of the 294 Division 1 squads. This year, MOrris faltered badly. His team's improvement during the latter half of the season shows me that his "coaching system" is elite. 5 players batted well over 0.300 during the latter half, and we saw the team go from 12-16 to 19-11.... Recruiting failed, BUT 4 or 5 of those same players batted over 0.300 in 2016, and Hackett, BUrns and Davison on 'paper' looked stalwart. All 3 JUCOs improved markedly over the year. Will be interesting to see if Morris keeps them.

In my time, the Ivy League Association used the Index. You needed the equivalent of a 1,400 SAT score today and either a B+ average or your high school had to prove that you were in a given percentile in regard to grades. It was unfair because inner-city youth test poorly on the SAT.... They could accept you and provide a scholarship, but if you did not meet the index in high school, you could not play sports. Hence, the reliance on hockey, skiing, lacross players from NOrth Eastern boarding schools.....

I thought the gnome was a Gator but will admit when wrong. Not sure if people noticed the post, but one of his buddies 'outed' him in a thread and said he was Nole. PAthetic. It explains the virulence, though.

Barring 2017, Morris was better than 0.83 of coaches during his worst 6-year stretch; he was top-4 through the 2008 season; and was beyond elite in both 2015 and 2016. I am a fan and am looking forward to 2018. It will be a good year for us!

Advertisement
Actually gnome, assuming 294 teams and the reality that only three teams made it to both the 2015 and 2016 World Series implies a probability of 2.03%. Such outperformance is highly significant. The 60-game sample size bolsters the point. It would be interesting to note how many teams won 50-games during both of those years. Morris was beyond elite in both 2015 and 2016. He was better than 98% of Division 1 coaches.

This proves once again how bad you are at applying math to baseball.

(By the way, you are lying about the asterisk).

Of course, you can't prove this, so you are still the liar who needs to make stuff up to make a point.

His team's improvement during the latter half of the season shows me that his "coaching system" is elite.

If his coaching system is "elite", why did he wait until April instead of coaching them up in the fall? And if he is elite, why are we about to go ten years without beating a #1 seed in the post-season?

In my time, the Ivy League Association used the Index. You needed the equivalent of a 1,400 SAT score today and either a B+ average or your high school had to prove that you were in a given percentile in regard to grades. It was unfair because inner-city youth test poorly on the SAT.... They could accept you and provide a scholarship, but if you did not meet the index in high school, you could not play sports. Hence, the reliance on hockey, skiing, lacross players from NOrth Eastern boarding schools.....

No one cares about Dartmouth and their horrid athletic program.

I thought the gnome was a Gator but will admit when wrong. Not sure if people noticed the post, but one of his buddies 'outed' him in a thread and said he was Nole. PAthetic. It explains the virulence, though.

You don't admit when you are wrong. You completely blew the whole 2002 story, yet you ran when screen shots proved you wrong.

So now I'm a Nole? Good stuff. Care to post that thread where I was "outed", coward?

Barring 2017, Morris was better than 0.83 of coaches during his worst 6-year stretch; he was top-4 through the 2008 season; and was beyond elite in both 2015 and 2016. I am a fan and am looking forward to 2018. It will be a good year for us!

Elite coaches occasionally compete for championships.

Actually gnome, assuming 294 teams and the reality that only three teams made it to both the 2015 and 2016 World Series implies a probability of 2.03%. Such outperformance is highly significant. The 60-game sample size bolsters the point. It would be interesting to note how many teams won 50-games during both of those years. Morris was beyond elite in both 2015 and 2016. He was better than 98% of Division 1 coaches. (By the way, you are lying about the asterisk).

On the basis of wins in 2017, Miami was only better than ~0.55 of the 294 Division 1 squads. This year, MOrris faltered badly. His team's improvement during the latter half of the season shows me that his "coaching system" is elite. 5 players batted well over 0.300 during the latter half, and we saw the team go from 12-16 to 19-11.... Recruiting failed, BUT 4 or 5 of those same players batted over 0.300 in 2016, and Hackett, BUrns and Davison on 'paper' looked stalwart. All 3 JUCOs improved markedly over the year. Will be interesting to see if Morris keeps them.

:rickflair2:

Hockey guy - is it ok for someone to have an opinion different than yours? Just let it go and enjoy the weekend.

Advertisement

LMAO. He makes up numbers, doesn't know how to apply them, all while glossing over the fact that he is exposed in virtually every post. Yet you are impressed.

Yes, I am because you keep getting pummeled left and right with facts and yet you continue to come back trying to be the smartest guy in the room and argue over minutia.

Pummeled with facts? Let's just start with a couple. Give me some facts that I have been "pummeled" with. And before you try, just know that the old man's pretend sabermetrics do not constitute facts.

Ready.....go.

LMAO. He makes up numbers, doesn't know how to apply them, all while glossing over the fact that he is exposed in virtually every post. Yet you are impressed.

Yes, I am because you keep getting pummeled left and right with facts and yet you continue to come back trying to be the smartest guy in the room and argue over minutia.

Pummeled with facts? Let's just start with a couple. Give me some facts that I have been "pummeled" with. And before you try, just know that the old man's pretend sabermetrics do not constitute facts.

Ready.....go.

I wish hockey guy would stop flexing his Internet muscle just long enough to realize it's ok for people to have different opinions...

Advertisement
I wish hockey guy would stop flexing his Internet muscle just long enough to realize it's ok for people to have different opinions...

Can you Morris apologists get on the same page? Am I getting pummeled with facts, or is someone offering a different opinion? Pick one.

txcane, don't come in here acting like you want everyone to be nice and respectful after your stupid call-out threads.

Miami baseball 1994-2004 vs. Miami baseball 2005-2017 (or 1994-2008 vs. 2009-2017). There's no comparison. What's happened the last 10-15 years is not and should not be acceptable for what Fraser built starting in the early 70s and Morris solidified in the 90s and early 00s. I'm not sure why anyone is defending him at this point. He had a great run. It's over. Move on. Simple.

How did Davidson beat UNC? They only have 3 scholarships for baseball; and according to our top posters, that alone is the reason they shouldn't be able to beat UNC or make the post-season. What's happening? Didn't Davidson get the memo that scholarships is an excuse and it's okay to lose?

Advertisement
How did Davidson beat UNC? They only have 3 scholarships for baseball; and according to our top posters, that alone is the reason they shouldn't be able to beat UNC or make the post-season. What's happening? Didn't Davidson get the memo that scholarships is an excuse and it's okay to lose?

Also, Davidson University costs $64,000 a year to attend. There's no way that a private school can compete these days with that price tag.

Davidson has 2 more wins this year against a higher seeded post-season opponent than Miami (FL) has had in the last 9 years combined. With higher tuition, fewer scholarships and less talent, I wonder what the key is....

Davidson has 2 more wins this year against a higher seeded post-season opponent than Miami (FL) has had in the last 9 years combined. With higher tuition, fewer scholarships and less talent, I wonder what the key is....

It's random. Nothing to see here.

Advertisement

Davidson has 2 more wins this weekend against a higher seeded post-season opponent than Miami (FL) has had in the last 9 years combined. With higher tuition, fewer scholarships and less talent, I wonder what the key is....

*clears throat*

Davidson has 2 more wins this weekend against a higher seeded post-season opponent than Miami (FL) has had in the last 9 years combined. With higher tuition, fewer scholarships and less talent, I wonder what the key is....

*clears throat*

True.

Your post completely elucidates why it is meaningless to discuss this issue further. Look up 'randomness' on wikipedia.

This is why the well educated ignore the gnome. A 60-game season is statistically significant. FSU losing to Tennessee Tech, and UNC 'bowing out' fortifies the fact that each progressive round of the NCAA baseball playoffs is progressively more dependent on random events. The Regionals favor the incumbent the most; the Super Regionals less so, and Omaha is a coin flip. Morris lost a World Series to 0.200~ hitter.

This is EXACTLY why Morris' performance in both 2015 and 2016 was so dominant. You and the gnome will NEVER understand these concepts. Ever. Futile to even try...

Your post completely elucidates why it is meaningless to discuss this issue further. Look up 'randomness' on wikipedia.

This is why the well educated ignore the gnome. A 60-game season is statistically significant. FSU losing to Tennessee Tech, and UNC 'bowing out' fortifies the fact that each progressive round of the NCAA baseball playoffs is progressively more dependent on random events. The Regionals favor the incumbent the most; the Super Regionals less so, and Omaha is a coin flip. Morris lost a World Series to 0.200~ hitter.

This is EXACTLY why Morris' performance in both 2015 and 2016 was so dominant. You and the gnome will NEVER understand these concepts. Ever. Futile to even try...

So now Morris was "dominant" and the World Series is a "coin flip".

Explain this one: we haven't been able to beat a #1 seed in the post-season for nine years. Funny how all of these random wins seem to happen every year.....except when the Miami Hurricanes play an equal or better seed.

Like tcgrad said, Davidson accomplished more against better competition last night than we have in the nine post-seasons since 2008. Of course, that's just random and Morris is a dominating coach.

Advertisement
Back