Since 2009 vs UF and FSU tells the story

That is completely false and shows how little you know about all of this. No one in baseball, Morris included, is doing things the same way in 2017 as they were in 1992. What an idiotic statement.

You said they were though.

Regardless, the head coach who has implemented whatever recruiting strategy he chooses has been as successful as anybody in the game.

But I thought Gino was responsible for the recruiting resurrection?

Actually I proved this last year. Morris without Gino, Lazer and/or Turtle has been an unmitigated disaster. At least DiMare brought some level of respect back to the program, even if it was temporary.

Advertisement
Actually I proved this last year. Morris without Gino, Lazer and/or Turtle has been an unmitigated disaster.

So a head coach has always been able to hire great assistants and this is your attack line?

Brilliant.

It's actually quite on point. If we're in the CWS with Gino and losing to Stony Brook without Gino, what exactly is Jim's role? Hire assistants? This isn't the 1970's where the head coach oversees the program from his office. Today's coaches are engaged with every day activities, on and off the field.

It's actually quite on point. If we're in the CWS with Gino and losing to Stony Brook without Gino, what exactly is Jim's role? Hire assistants?

That's probably the #1 role of a head coach.

But I'd say his most important on-field contribution has been his preference for relief pitching over starting pitching. Many games have been won and championships competed for because of that alone.

I'd also say his ability to tinker with lineups. That's why the lazy charge is so inaccurate because his actions have been anything but lazy whether it's in his staff hires or his in-game strategy.

Advertisement
But I'd say his most important on-field contribution has been his preference for relief pitching over starting pitching. Many games have been won and championships competed for because of that alone.

That has definitely made him stand out amongst his peers in a very good way.

I'd also say his ability to tinker with lineups. That's why the lazy charge is so inaccurate because his actions have been anything but lazy whether it's in his staff hires or his in-game strategy.

In fairness, I don't think I ever referred to Jim himself as being lazy. I think the recruiting process has been lazy in the sense that it is often a "they will come to us" philosophy. That goes back to Gino's lack of presence. It can work at times (that's how Spurrier looked at recruiting at Florida), but when it doesn't, there are some huge holes remaining. There are plenty of smart and/or wealthy blue chip baseball players to allow UM to compile a roster without tuition being that big of a deal. We just have to find them, and that requires work.

I think the recruiting process has been lazy in the sense that it is often a "they will come to us" philosophy. That goes back to Gino's lack of presence. It can work at times (that's how Spurrier looked at recruiting at Florida), but when it doesn't, there are some huge holes remaining. There are plenty of smart and/or wealthy blue chip baseball players to allow UM to compile a roster without tuition being that big of a deal. We just have to find them, and that requires work.

If Kep Brown doesn't bail in August, Michael Amditis doesn't break his leg in February and Hunter Tackett hits to his average do you think we're on the bubble?

That's really what it comes down to. You can't claim lazy recruiting and/or planning when they had these guys signed up and other circumstances intervened.

I think the recruiting process has been lazy in the sense that it is often a "they will come to us" philosophy. That goes back to Gino's lack of presence. It can work at times (that's how Spurrier looked at recruiting at Florida), but when it doesn't, there are some huge holes remaining. There are plenty of smart and/or wealthy blue chip baseball players to allow UM to compile a roster without tuition being that big of a deal. We just have to find them, and that requires work.

If Kep Brown doesn't bail in August, Michael Amditis doesn't break his leg in February and Hunter Tackett hits to his average do you think we're on the bubble?

That's really what it comes down to. You can't claim lazy recruiting and/or planning when they had these guys signed up and other circumstances intervened.

I don't think that we were a JUCO transfer and a freshman catcher away from being solidly in the field. Not with this roster.

Beating FIU, Columbia, Virginia Commonwealth, Stetson, Long Beach State, and Boston College to get to back to back CWS in '15 and '16 (followed by a combined 1-4 in Omaha) does nothing to reverse this obvious slide.

This is a very stupid point to make.

In 2015 and 2016, Miami was a national seed. That means they were one of the 8 best teams in the country. So therefore they were SEEDED into Omaha. In other words they would have been favored against anybody in their path.

What's more is that they had the most wins vs. the RPI top 50 in those two years.

Stop saying that they got lucky or played weak competition. All it does is prove your ignorance. It would be like saying that the 2001 football team deserves no credit because they played Nebraska when they would've been favored to beat anybody in the country.

The 2001 football team beat everybody they faced.

From 2009-2017 baseball has not won a NCAAT game against a regional host. Not in a regional, not in a super regional, not in Omaha, not home, not away. So in addition to the 9 year run of futility against FSU and UF, Miami (FL) hasn't faired any better against other quality NCAAT level opponents.

On the other hand, Miami (FL) has lost numerous NCAAT games against lower seeded opponents:

2016-Boston College, Arizona, USCB
2015-Columbia
2014-Texas Tech (twice)
2013-Oklahoma State
2012- Stony Brook, Missouri State
2010- TAMU

So yes, in 2015 and 2016 baseball both got lucky and played weak competition. As soon as the post-season opposition improved, we crashed and burned.

Advertisement
Beating FIU, Columbia, Virginia Commonwealth, Stetson, Long Beach State, and Boston College to get to back to back CWS in '15 and '16 (followed by a combined 1-4 in Omaha) does nothing to reverse this obvious slide.

This is a very stupid point to make.

In 2015 and 2016, Miami was a national seed. That means they were one of the 8 best teams in the country. So therefore they were SEEDED into Omaha. In other words they would have been favored against anybody in their path.

What's more is that they had the most wins vs. the RPI top 50 in those two years.

Stop saying that they got lucky or played weak competition. All it does is prove your ignorance. It would be like saying that the 2001 football team deserves no credit because they played Nebraska when they would've been favored to beat anybody in the country.

The 2001 football team beat everybody they faced.

From 2009-2017 baseball has not won a NCAAT game against a regional host. Not in a regional, not in a super regional, not in Omaha, not home, not away. So in addition to the 9 year run of futility against FSU and UF, Miami (FL) hasn't faired any better against other quality NCAAT level opponents.

On the other hand, Miami (FL) has lost numerous NCAAT games against lower seeded opponents:

2015-Columbia
2014-Texas Tech (twice)
2013-Oklahoma State
2010- TAMU

So yes, in 2015 and 2016 baseball both got lucky and played weak competition. As soon as the post-season opposition improved, we crashed and burned.

This is probably my favorite stat from my epic post of last June.

Starting with 2009, we are 0-9 against #1 seeds and 3-15 against #1 and #2 seeds combined.

From 2009-2017 baseball has not won a NCAAT game against a regional host.

tcgrad keeps piling on irrelevant points.

So they either lost to regional hosts who were by definition higher-ranked than Miami (2009, 2011) or hosted themselves (2010, 2012, 2014-16).

I had forgotten how silly your arguments were.

Advertisement

2015-Columbia
2014-Texas Tech (twice)
2013-Oklahoma State
2010- TAMU

In those six years Miami went to Omaha twice (2015-16), Lost to Omaha teams twice (2012, 2014) and advanced out of the Regional against that team on another occasion (2010).

Your ability to pile on the cow flop is impressive.

So yes, in 2015 and 2016 baseball both got lucky and played weak competition.

Amazing that you're still pimping this stupid line.

Miami was a national seed both years (# 3 and # 5). They were supposed to advance. Even against chalk.

Leave it up to tcgrad to claim that Miami was lucky to avoid Dallas Baptist and Ole Miss but fortunate to face the teams that beat them on their own home field.

Obviously the school doesn't give a **** what happens to the baseball program. This should have been addressed at least five years ago. Unless changes are made to this train wreck soon the program will die.Needs a complete overover just like the football program. The coaching completely sucks. Putting the son of a wealthy alum in charge will be the death of baseball at this university. No reason for a program IN MIAMI to be this bad with all the baseball played down here. No excuse for all this local talent to be going somewhere else. FGCU's program is only about ten years and it's already miles ahead of us. Just glad Ron Fraser isn't alive to see what a POS his team has become.

This would kill The Wizard.

Advertisement

Miami was a national seed both years (# 3 and # 5). They were supposed to advance. Even against chalk.

Leave it up to tcgrad to claim that Miami was lucky to avoid Dallas Baptist and Ole Miss but fortunate to face the teams that beat them on their own home field.

Either you don't get it or you are choosing not to get it. They only advanced when the opposition was far inferior. When the opposition level rose, the team was completely outmatched. Baseball hasn't beaten a top quality team in the NCAAT (in a regional, super regional, or Omaha) in a decade. I don't mean winning a series. I mean winning one game. I get your schitck is defending the program no matter what, but the downward trend is blatantly obvious to any reasonable observer.

Either you don't get it or you are choosing not to get it. They only advanced when the opposition was far inferior. When the opposition level rose, the team was completely outmatched. Baseball hasn't beaten a top quality team in the NCAAT (in a regional, super regional, or Omaha) in a decade. I don't mean winning a series. I mean winning one game. I get your schitck is defending the program no matter what, but the downward trend is blatantly obvious to any reasonable observer.

So I decided to do some research to shoot holes in your statement and, well...you're right, yikes that's pretty **** ugly.:nba-kobe_bryant-ups

Either you don't get it or you are choosing not to get it.

I don't get how someone could literally make up criterion on the spot. Who would make up a criterion like "hasn't beaten a team that hosted a Regional"?

Only someone who's fishing for things to whine about.

They only advanced when the opposition was far inferior.

Insanely stupid.

You can't test this since they could only face who was in front of them. It would be like saying that the 2001 football team couldn't beat anybody other than Nebraska because they didn't.

I won't say that you're better than this because we all know that you're not.

Advertisement
Back