SIAP, story on Tate Martell and UM offense on ESPN.com...

Advertisement
So you're a star ***** too!? I'll pass.....what you do for me now is what matters.
I'm not a star *****, I watch film. Including while he was at taint and what I saw was an elite play maker. Enos is changing what he has known all his life, there's a reason why he immediately looked like himself again when Enos put him in the shotgun and let him do his thing.

When will you guys learn that a QB’s ability to run fast is useless relative to getting sacked? The most athletic QBs in the history of the NFL are also the guys who got sacked the most often during single seasons. Check the facts.

Avoiding sacks is all about processing information quickly, getting the ball out quickly, and having a sixth sense to feel pressure in the pocket and make subtle moves to avoid it while keeping your eyes up. It’s got almost nothing to do with the ability to run fast.

When will you guys learn that a QB’s ability to run fast is useless relative to getting sacked? The most athletic QBs in the history of the NFL are also the guys who got sacked the most often during single seasons. Check the facts.

Avoiding sacks is all about processing information quickly, getting the ball out quickly, and having a sixth sense to feel pressure in the pocket and make subtle moves to avoid it while keeping your eyes up. It’s got almost nothing to do with the ability to run fast.
I agree and from what I've seen, Tate does exactly that. I'm not discounting the other QBs as I believe they are very talented. However, Tate can do all those things at an elite level and with our OL, we desperately need it.

Advertisement
I've seen nothing that suggests Tate should be out QB1 over Perry or even Jarren at this time.

So many people get caught up in a QB running the ball it isn't even funny. First thing I want is a QB who can stand in the pocket and deliver. Tate is well behind the other two in that department to this point. In most instances where you see a QB running the ball, it's the wrong thing to do.

Facts.

CIS abhors a vacuum. And right now there’s an information vacuum regarding the QBs because no one really knows what they’re up to, how hard they’re working, or studying the playbook. Therefore, people are starting to gravitate towards this or that quarterback based on no more information than we had three weeks ago. When in reality, nothing has changed as to their status.

Because as of the end of spring practice, all three were and are neck and neck. That’s not me saying this, that’s the coaches, specifically Manny and Enos.

I will not be surprised if any of the three start on August 24. I am a science and math guy, very data centric. And I can honestly say I don’t have enough data to project like others are projecting as to who the quarterback will be. Check back with me the first or second week of summer/fall practice and then I’ll have a better idea. But before then, it’s all a guessing crapshoot to me.

Additionally, that is a good distinction you made between a quarterback that is fast and has quick feet, versus a quarterback that is good at evading the rush. You don’t necessarily need to be fast to be able to avoid the rush. Everything that you said about sensing backside pressure, feeling the rush, knowing where to slide, whether upper or down, left or right, those are the things that matter much more about avoiding sacks and are key to general scrambling ability.

We’ll all know who wins this battle in a little over two months when the starter is named. Even then, I doubt the starter for Florida will stay the starter if he makes a couple mental errors on a row. The other two need to have packages and deserve their licks in that scenario.

Advertisement

Great point, and some of the most unathletic QBs like Marino, Brady and Manning, for years were among the least sacked because they understood protections, where pressure would be coming from and a great internal clock that told them just when the ball had to be out of their hands. These guys all understood that there was actually more safety in the pocket, the belly of the beast, than running around like many 'mobile' QBs....

Great point, and some of the most unathletic QBs like Marino, Brady and Manning, for years were among the least sacked because they understood protections, where pressure would be coming from and a great internal clock that told them just when the ball had to be out of their hands. These guys all understood that there was actually more safety in the pocket, the belly of the beast, than running around like many 'mobile' QBs....
Those guys had All World OLs...Marino had the Greatest release in NFL History....Its all about Pocket presence....Marino..Brady and Manning, athough Sloths...had not only remarkable Pocket Presence..but ridiculous feet in the Pocket...

Facts.

CIS abhors a vacuum. And right now there’s an information vacuum regarding the QBs because no one really knows what they’re up to, how hard they’re working, or studying the playbook. Therefore, people are starting to gravitate towards this or that quarterback based on no more information than we had three weeks ago. When in reality, nothing has changed as to their status.

Because as of the end of spring practice, all three were and are neck and neck. That’s not me saying this, that’s the coaches, specifically Manny and Enos.

I will not be surprised if any of the three start on August 24. I am a science and math guy, very data centric. And I can honestly say I don’t have enough data to project like others are projecting as to who the quarterback will be. Check back with me the first or second week of summer/fall practice and then I’ll have a better idea. But before then, it’s all a guessing crapshoot to me.

Additionally, that is a good distinction you made between a quarterback that is fast and has quick feet, versus a quarterback that is good at evading the rush. You don’t necessarily need to be fast to be able to avoid the rush. Everything that you said about sensing backside pressure, feeling the rush, knowing where to slide, whether upper or down, left or right, those are the things that matter much more about avoiding sacks and are key to general scrambling ability.
preach!

Those guys had All World OLs...Marino had the Greatest release in NFL History....Its all about Pocket presence....Marino..Brady and Manning, athough Sloths...had not only remarkable Pocket Presence..but ridiculous feet in the Pocket...
It wasn’t all-world OL. It was the QB having the ability to process info quickly and make subtle moves in the pocket.

Most QBs who run a lot aren’t very good information processors. They see their first read covered and they tuck and run. That can work ok against bad teams, but the minute you play a decent team they shut it down.

Advertisement
Maybe this Matacha is a Hidden Gem...We'll see....Pretty upsetting the coarse UM has gone with QBs since Dorsey....The QB evaluating since Berlin is very unsettling....

It wasn’t all-world OL. It was the QB having the ability to process info quickly and make subtle moves in the pocket.

Most QBs who run a lot aren’t very good information processors. They see their first read covered and they tuck and run. That can work ok against bad teams, but the minute you play a decent team they shut it down.
Auburn got to a national championship with a converted CB (Nick Marshall) as their QB. Tate is a far better QB than he is.

Oregon got to a national championship with Daron Thomas as their QB. Tate is a far better QB than he is.

This is CFB not the NFL.

Tate went 10/10 with 2 TDs against a defense that had the same defensive S&P ranking as Duke. We scored 12 points against Duke, Tate scored that by himself.

The more people try to act like Tate can't play QB the more I laugh. It's funny how many people don't see the writing on the wall.

Urban Meyer, a QB guru, gave this dude a scholarship. He he can play the position.

We don't yet know who can process info the best of our three QBs. But I get your point, You need to be QB first. There are a lot of QB failures out there who were too eager to tuck and run.

That said, all else being equal, I'd rather have a kid who is elusive at QB. It's another skill set that defenses need to adjust for. No one at the college level ever figured out Vince Young. Very few figured out Vick, Manziel, Mariotta and R Wilson. They were already talented QBs. But their elusiveness made them elite.

Of the three, Martell is the only one who could be accused of run-first. Williams is dual threat, but definitely prefers to pass. Perry will only run if he is flushed and has no obvious alternative. But I'm not sure Martell has shown he will tuck it and run after his first read is covered. I hope he proves to be a mobile QB who can make plays while rolling out, and sling it on the run, only actually legging it as a last resort. Again, I don't think these scrimmages/spring games can tell us enough about his true nature. Gotta test him in game situations.

Advertisement
Too Bad Coker didn't have the same Philosophy with Berlin...
For over 15 years I have been saying the exact same thing. If Coker would have geared his offense towards the strengths of his QB(Berlin) from the get go, we very well could have been in the title game that year.

I hate to agree with you so much...but another excellent point about “running” QBs.

While I’m sure there are some fast quarterbacks that ARE good information processors, actually the only one that comes to mind right now is Aaron Rodgers, who is fast, athletic but most of the time only runs if there’s nothing open - your theory about most running QBs sounds on the money to me.

Oh, and btw, the rev above just made your point for you...and he doesn’t even realize it.

Auburn got to a national championship with a converted CB (Nick Marshall) as their QB. Tate is a far better QB than he is.

Oregon got to a national championship with Daron Thomas as their QB. Tate is a far better QB than he is.

This is CFB not the NFL.

Tate went 10/10 with 2 TDs against a defense that had the same defensive S&P ranking as Duke. We scored 12 points against Duke, Tate scored that by himself.

The more people try to act like Tate can't play QB the more I laugh. It's funny how many people don't see the writing on the wall.

Urban Meyer, a QB guru, gave this dude a scholarship. He he can play the position.
Who on CIS said Tate can’t play QB!? I’ve read this whole thread and can’t find what you are talking about! Or, you just have an agenda and looking for a disagreement?!

Show me the argument Someone said Tate can’t play QB?

Advertisement
Back