SIAP, story on Tate Martell and UM offense on ESPN.com...

PhotoGrid_1559493029544.jpg

Advertisement
You'll see 2 QBs getting Reps this yr...I have no doubt...Nobody has seperated themselves enough to be named a Firm Starter....I have No problem with Kosi starting, and having Martell and Jarren in case of either misshaps...injuries and Poor play....Im not so sure Eno's Type of QB is even on campus yet...

Imo the competition is over. The only way Kosi or Jarren would have won is if they looked years better than the competition. They didn't, and I don't see them making that huge leap in 3 months either.

Tate won the job bc of money and coaches ego, but most of all he won bc of he is the better QB.
View attachment 85572View attachment 85573
What is the significance of making a guy miss and an underthrown ball?

There's very few QBs with that skillset and the last few won the Heisman. I'm not saying Tate will win the Heisman but he definitely has the tools to do so. It's also a skillset we desperately need (especially with our OL) and I don't think we've ever had one that can do what he can.
Having said that, may the best man win!

i dont understand how anyone can say hes the best QB right now. imo, its been Jarren or Kosi being the two better performers in the spring w tate having a great second spring game. from what i read, hes having accuracy issues

Advertisement
You'll see 2 QBs getting Reps this yr...I have no doubt...Nobody has seperated themselves enough to be named a Firm Starter....I have No problem with Kosi starting, and having Martell and Jarren in case of either misshaps...injuries and Poor play....Im not so sure Eno's Type of QB is even on campus yet...

This is one of several possibilities. It’s definitely possible that it goes this way. I’ve always had a one-quarterback type of mentality, but, I’m also not so stubborn that I can’t accept it. Whatever it takes to win - that’s all I care about.

i dont understand how anyone can say hes the best QB right now. imo, its been Jarren or Kosi being the two better performers in the spring w tate having a great second spring game. from what i read, hes having accuracy issues
From what I heard Coach Enos had Martell change his throwing mechanics once he got here. Which could be the issue with his throws because he's not comfortable yet with his new mechanics.

This is one of several possibilities. It’s definitely possible that it goes this way. I’ve always had a one-quarterback type of mentality, but, I’m also not so stubborn that I can’t accept it. Whatever it takes to win - that’s all I care about.
That's all that matters and to be honest, I was very impressed with Matocha's film. It's exciting to finally have legit talent and more importantly, a legit teacher at QB!

From what I heard Coach Enos had Martell change his throwing mechanics once he got here. Which could be the issue with his throws because he's not comfortable yet with his new mechanics.
This is true, along with trying to learn under center as well as build timing with receivers, etc.

Advertisement
There's very few QBs with that skillset and the last few won the Heisman. I'm not saying Tate will win the Heisman but he definitely has the tools to do so. It's also a skillset we desperately need (especially with our OL) and I don't think we've ever had one that can do what he can.
Having said that, may the best man win!
I’m a fan of his. I’m a fan of all our QBs. I don’t care who wins the QB battle I just love that we have deep competition FINALLY.

I’m just not understanding the point of those GIFs

Malik Rosier had some truly great runs here but people hate his guts.

But whatever, this isn’t a discussion over Tate’s skills. I mean he’s played a handful of minutes and we’ve been talking about him for months so there’s no new information to be gleaned until he actually plays.

CIS logic:

I read a report Martell threw an INT (no details of video given)

Jarren is the man! I told you guys!!

Jarren throws an INT (no details or video)

I told you it’s KOSI!!!!

Kosi throws an INT (no details of video)

It’s TATE! SEEEEE

It’s just some bizarre, ridiculous way people are trying to play “I told you so.” And to suggest somehow the battle is decided within a few weeks of a new OC trying out his system is just absurd. This QB race may not be settled until half way through the season, if at all.

I’m a fan of his. I’m a fan of all our QBs. I don’t care who wins the QB battle I just love that we have deep competition FINALLY.

But whatever, this isn’t a discussion over Tate’s skills. I mean he’s played a handful of minutes and we’ve been talking about him for months so there’s no new information to be gleaned until he actually plays.
You were doing so well until you brought up Malweak! Malweak's running "skills" are elementary compared to Tate. Otherwise, good post ...lol

the VT game from the 10 win season

Advertisement
You were doing so well until you brought up Malweak! Malweak's running "skills" are elementary compared to Tate. Otherwise, good post ...lol

Sorry, but I’m calling you out on this, my friend. You’re getting carried away with projecting what someone MIGHT do, as opposed to actual performance

Say what you want about his throwing skills, But 100% of the evidence right now points to Malik being a better runner as a quarterback, simply because he’s done more of it and had actually performed over a season in games that made a difference. We don’t win the number of the games we do in 2017 without his running.

So not only has he run effectively at least in one season, but his running made a difference to a team winning significant and important games. Something that Tate has yet to do with the college game. For all we know Tate will run for 10 yards take a shot and be done. Or he could be some kind of a great all time dual threat quarterback. Or something in between.

But right now, all Tate is is one guy out of three trying to get the starting job. That’s all he is.

It’s time to maybe start thinking a little bit more objectively... if he ends up being a Heisman winner like you think he will be, nobody will be more happy than me. I would love to have an accomplished quarterback playing. But it may not be Tate.

As far as being dynamic maybe, but I think people are so focused on the negative with him, you forget how many tough *** runs he had.

And to still be taking shots at him calling him “Malweak” is honestly pathetic at this point

Advertisement
As far as being dynamic maybe, but I think people are so focused on the negative with him, you forget how many tough *** runs he had.

And to still be taking shots at him calling him “Malweak” is honestly pathetic at this point

hes one of the tougher QBs we've had recently. he wasn't a good QB, but he did what he could and got us our best year since 04.

hes one of the tougher QBs we've had recently. he wasn't a good QB, but he did what he could and got us our best year since 04.
I was Starting to think about it this week but coming off one of his better games of Toledo, 5 td performance overall with some timely throws on 3rd down, had he not been benched the week after and played the whole season. Do we end up going 7-6? Not saying he was a good qb or anything but I honestly doubt it tbqh, After the benching malik lost a lot of confidence. Anyone would in that situation

I always thought a two quarterback system could work and wondered why more teams did not do it when they had talented quarterbacks with completely different skill sets.

The biggest argument I heard against it was for leadership purposes, but I always felt you could get leadership from the position room and not just one guy.

As I looked more into it, I found that even when both guys were leaders and did not divide the team into cliques, that there were technical issues that made coaches shy away from it. Things like problems with cadence, handling the snap, and receiver timing.

I wish there was a way to make it work. Having multiple, talented guys who can start is a great problem to have. Quarterback is the only position where you will be buried on the bench with almost no playing time for a guy slightly outperforming you.

Makes it near impossible to build depth at the position in college. It makes you one injury away from disaster now more than ever. Syracuse had Dabo ****tin his pants when they banged up Lawrence last year.

I was Starting to think about it this week but coming off one of his better games of Toledo, 5 td performance overall with some timely throws on 3rd down, had he not been benched the week after and played the whole season. Do we end up going 7-6? Not saying he was a good qb or anything but I honestly doubt it tbqh, After the benching malik lost a lot of confidence. Anyone would in that situation
Nothing was going to change the fact that defenses knew basically every play we called the entire season.

Still should have beaten some of those **** teams though for sure

Advertisement
Back