SIAP, story on Tate Martell and UM offense on ESPN.com...

I always thought a two quarterback system could work and wondered why more teams did not do it when they had talented quarterbacks with completely different skill sets.

The biggest argument I heard against it was for leadership purposes, but I always felt you could get leadership from the position room and not just one guy.

As I looked more into it, I found that even when both guys were leaders and did not divide the team into cliques, that there were technical issues that made coaches shy away from it. Things like problems with cadence, handling the snap, and receiver timing.

I wish there was a way to make it work. Having multiple, talented guys who can start is a great problem to have. Quarterback is the only position where you will be buried on the bench with almost no playing time for a guy slightly outperforming you.

Makes it near impossible to build depth at the position in college. It makes you one injury away from disaster now more than ever. Syracuse had Dabo ****tin his pants when they banged up Lawrence last year.

the days of depth at the QB spot and sitting and learning are over. all across CFB we saw a lot more freshman QBs play right away. if you have a good QB, you just gotta play him asap bc of the threat of the transfer. in terms of clemson, they had just lost three Qbs in a season or something. they were always going to be flirting with disaster the moment they went full time to sunshine and that was the right move no matter what, depth be damned.

Advertisement
hes one of the tougher QBs we've had recently. he wasn't a good QB, but he did what he could and got us our best year since 04.

Rewatch his first start against Duke.

If he had that type gameplan under Richt, he would have ended his career under much more positive terms.

He was a dink and dunk guy who could occasionally strike downfield and convert 1st downs running. Two years with Lil Jon and Pa and he deteriorated into a guy who couldn’t throw accuratly 10 yards from his face.

All of Richt’s quarterbacks suffered a regression, even Brad ( though he ended 2016 on a hot streak). I look forward to Enos rectifying this and squeezing every drop of talent out of the blue chip recruits under his command.

Sorry, but I’m calling you out on this, my friend. You’re getting carried away with projecting what someone MIGHT do, as opposed to actual performance

Say what you want about his throwing skills, But 100% of the evidence right now points to Malik being a better runner as a quarterback, simply because he’s done more of it and had actually performed over a season in games that made a difference. We don’t win the number of the games we do in 2017 without his running.

So not only has he run effectively at least in one season, but his running made a difference to a team winning significant and important games. Something that Tate has yet to do with the college game. For all we know Tate will run for 10 yards take a shot and be done. Or he could be some kind of a great all time dual threat quarterback. Or something in between.

But right now, all Tate is is one guy out of three trying to get the starting job. That’s all he is.

It’s time to maybe start thinking a little bit more objectively... if he ends up being a Heisman winner like you think he will be, nobody will be more happy than me. I would love to have an accomplished quarterback playing. But it may not be Tate.
Whao I'm not discounting what Malik's running did for that season and I completely agree. I'm talking in comparison to the skillset Tate has vs him was my point. He has elite traits but yes unproven and like I said in the first post, I'm not a nut thinking he's going to win the Heisman with the little bit we've seen. I just see potential

As far as being dynamic maybe, but I think people are so focused on the negative with him, you forget how many tough *** runs he had.

And to still be taking shots at him calling him “Malweak” is honestly pathetic at this point
You're right, his runs did win us games in '17 I'm just burnt like you said of most of the rest of his game. We're due for something special at QB man, it's been way too long

Advertisement
The people who think Tate should change positions are the same ones who root for a team that got beat by Bryce Perkins last year. Makes sense.

20190612_200447.jpg
20190612_200502.jpg
20190612_200512.jpg

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back