SIAP - Kentucky Coach Mark Stoops Asked About Miami Coaching Job

Advertisement
Mark Stoops would be a SOLID upgrade.

I have 3 coaches on my wish list:

Mario: I like Mario because first and foremost, this team needs a desired need of chance in culture. Mario's that guy from that perspective. In terms of gameday coaching, he's lacking there and needs to continue to grow. He drops a frustrating game or two, in Oregon, they're starting to see it and getting frustrated. That would be a problem here as well over time.

Kiffin: Somewhat of an inverse than Mario. Kiffin's grown since his USC/Tenn days, and this is likely due to being on Saban's staff. The problem with Kiffin is would he be able to fix the broken culture at Miami, Mario would, but I don't know if Kiffin is built for that.

Stoops: I like Stoops because he's done more with less. Kentucky is never going to win an SEC title, let alone a natty, but Stoops got them to their ceiling. He also seems like a guy that's a better gameday coach than Mario, and at the same time, could probably fix the broken culture at Miami.

Either coach is a major upgrade from Diaz.

The only reason people even think about culture is because we're getting our asses handed to us week in and week out.
If we were winning nobody would be saying a word about culture.
That's not causing us to lose, coaching is.

We don't need a principal. We need a real mf coach! Someone who can come in and win now and win big, and believe Lane Kiffin is the guy that can do that quicker than all the others being mentioned.
We need an offensive guru down here, and Lane is just that!

Do we get to use Clemson being good as an excuse? Because last time I checked Alabama and LSU aren’t even in the side of the conference, same as Clemson .

Are you honestly telling me a difference maker coach can’t squeeze out 15 wins and nearly 9 seasons in conference besides Vanderbilt and Missouri?
Dude coaches Kentucky into a ranking who are talent wise as good as Vanderbilt and Missouri, maybe a slight bit better.

Advertisement
I will pass on Stoops as #1 or #2 choice
giphy (6).gif

Record matters, but it’s certainly not everything. Context matters just as much. The man took over a 2-10 team that got boat raced every week.

His team progressed record wise every single season until he got to 10 wins which let’s be honest is Kentucky’s ceiling in the SEC.

Record matters, but it’s certainly not everything. Context matters just as much. The man took over a 2-10 team that got boat raced every week.

His team progressed record wise every single season until he got to 10 wins which let’s be honest is Kentucky’s ceiling in the SEC.
Kentucky is a bottom tier program when it comes to recruiting in the SEC.

Advertisement
Haven’t even read this thread.

This is all just meaningless fluff.

Most smart coaches, eith guidance from their agents, are not going to outright deny anything.

Care to know why?

Most of you smart people know why. Because it gives you the opportunity to leverage for greater salary and benefits. Oldest trick in the book in terms of employment.

This literally means nothing as far as the Miami job, for all we know, and it’s a real possibility, it’ll be a cold day in **** before he even considers Miami.
tenor (13).gif

Do you honestly hear yourself when you make this argument? The guy has been there NINE YEARS.

I again ask the same question, would a difference maker coach still barely be ranked where you say they are after nine seasons there?

****, schiano even has Rutgers in the Top 30. Same with schools like Indiana, Georgia Tech, Boston College and even South Carolina.

Are all the schools superior football powers to Kentucky? Are they going for the great tradition or a better chance of winning?

He’s won a third of his conference games, his offense looks prehistoric and all evidence shows he is a below average recruiter.

again ask the same question, would a difference maker coach still barely be ranked where you say they are after nine seasons there?
Yes.

****, schiano even has Rutgers in the Top 30. Same with schools like Indiana, Georgia Tech, Boston College and even South Carolina
Schiano even? Whats that supposed to mean? Dude is one of the top coaches in College Football imo. It would be great if we had him, because we wouldnt have this conversation at all.

Are all the schools superior football powers to Kentucky? Are they going for the great tradition or a better chance of winning
Kentucky is not a big football program, yes, thats 100% accurate.

He’s won a third of his conference games, his offense looks prehistoric and all evidence shows he is a below average recruiter
All evidence does not show that he is a below average recruiter. All evidence shows is that Kentucky is not a place where recruiting is not easy.

Ironically, Kentucky is trending to have its best recruiting class in forever after being ranked 12th.

He’s going to win 10, 8, and (at least) 10 ballgames in the 3 most recent non-Covid years. Before that, Rich Brooks (who Oregon named it’s field after) won 8 games twice, and UK won 8 or more two other times (actually 10 wins by Curci in ‘77 and 9 wins by Claiborne in ‘84) in the last 50 years. Stoops’ results are not average, or anywhere close to average, in the Bluegrass.
Stoops would be a homerun hire, football will always be 2nd fiddle to basketball at UK and I'm hopeful that will lead him to seek employment elsewhere. I was in Lexington a couple of weeks ago, Keeneland and bourbon tour, stayed right next door to Rupp and I couldn't believe how many people showed up for the first B-ball practice, blue madness or whatever they call it.

Advertisement
Mark Stoops is a upgrade but the issue will be what type of offense he would bring with him. Historically the Stoops run the air raid type of offense but Mark has found success in the SEC with power running. He would stick to that at least in year 1.

LCE point is we don’t have the kids at the moment to run the offense. It would almost look like year 1 and 2 of Richt offense. It will be almost the same thing with Mario. The fan base will be patient for one year but by year 2&3 not so much.

Lane scheme the same way as Shark(Texas HC)They will bring instant offense and the turn around will be twice as fast because you have a higher chance winning in a shootout then a defense of battle. Also Offensive HC tend to hire better DC while Defensive HC have a harder time hitting on a good OC.

If it was up to me. I would call Lane first, Mario and then Mark but you call ALL three within the same day.

All three are great in their own rights. Mark gives you instant defense. Lane give you instant offense. Mario gives you instant recruiting. All depends on what the AD values more and which one fit the budget more.

Yep. Even Missouri gets blue chips at QB like Drew Lock once in a blue moon. Kentucky gets Pitt level recruits

Advertisement
Do you honestly hear yourself when you make this argument? The guy has been there NINE YEARS.

I again ask the same question, would a difference maker coach still barely be ranked where you say they are after nine seasons there?

****, schiano even has Rutgers in the Top 30. Same with schools like Indiana, Georgia Tech, Boston College and even South Carolina.

Are all the schools superior football powers to Kentucky? Are they going for the great tradition or a better chance of winning?

He’s won a third of his conference games, his offense looks prehistoric and all evidence shows he is a below average recruiter.
He has hired spread guys since he has been there. And Kentucky is ranked 31 in 247 team composite which is higher than all the teams you named except South Carolina.

Stoops, Mario, Lane, Herman... You could argue forever about which one would be more successful at Miami. None are championship guarantees (and no one outside of Saban and Dabo is), but each would be a significant upgrade over Manny and we should be grateful to get any of them.

I'm more concerned about an Athletic Director hire, because that will have a much greater impact and larger consequences. In my opinion, we get the AD hire right, and everything else falls into place.

He has hired spread guys since he has been there. And Kentucky is ranked 31 in 247 team composite which is higher than all the teams you named except South Carolina.
People can say whatever they want about Stoops' record his first 5 years at UK, but the CATS are in the midst of their football golden-age and Stoops has been willing to do anything on the offensive side of the ball to get here. He's not inflexible and NO ONE else will replicate his success here in the next 25 years. I'll also promise you that if he leaves to come to the U, the CATS record will be much better the three years following his departure than after Joker departed. Stoops has built a bully ball winning mentality in the trenches here (both sides of the ball). Only way this gets better for me is if he does this ish at Hard Rock...

Last edited:
People can say whatever they want about Stoops' record his first 5 years at UK, but the CATS are in the midst of their football golden-age and Stoops has been willing to do anything on the offensive side of the ball to get here. He's not inflexible and NO ONE else will replicate his success here in the next 25 years. I'll also promise you that if he leaves to come to the U, the CATS record will be much better the three years following his departure than after Joker departed. Stoops has built a bully ball winning mentality in the trenches here (both sides of the ball). Only way this gets better for me if he does this ish at Hard Rock...

For the record I’m not anti Stoops. Give him time I am sure he can build something special. I just don’t see a “He’d kill it here” and “we’d be 6-1 if he was coach” in him.

I don’t think the methodical approach would sit very well with the fan base here.

Advertisement
Back