SIAP - Kentucky Coach Mark Stoops Asked About Miami Coaching Job

For the record I’m not anti Stoops. Give him time I am sure he can build something special. I just don’t see a “He’d kill it here” and “we’d be 6-1 if he was coach” in him.

I don’t think the methodical approach would sit very well with the fan base here.
There are inherent advantages in South Florida that will allow him to be much more expeditious (than methodical) at Miami. I will also say this, he was around Butch and Jimbo long enough to learn important "things" about recruiting. With all this said, I still can't believe that the administration at Miami is willing to hire a coach with balls that is experienced and confident enough to make real demands of a university before accepting an offer. He wouldn't be coming to Miami just for a raise.

Advertisement
For the record I’m not anti Stoops. Give him time I am sure he can build something special. I just don’t see a “He’d kill it here” and “we’d be 6-1 if he was coach” in him.

I don’t think the methodical approach would sit very well with the fan base here.
By playing basic disciplined football, proper blocking and tackling,, and by putting the best players on the field, which Stoops would do, he absolutely could be 6-1.

If he does those things, chances are he is at least winning the coastal most years, and that feat alone should buy him time with the fans.

Tbh, I don't think it's going to take that many years to build this program back up. It just needs solid coaching and leadership, traits Stoops would bring

Typical CIS. Hey let’s hire the latest flavor of the month coach.

Every hire has its risks, but @Go Canes!! is eating your lunches. No one has yet to come up with a credible response to his dissection of Stoop’s record at Kentucky.

It’s Kentucky

Same reason Jimmy, Saban, Cristobal, Chryst, and a plethora of other coaches who you can make a list of that reach a ceiling at one school and can prosper at another

Kentucky has had 3 10 win seasons in their entire history with Stiops having one of them and about to have another but you want to discuss his record at a loser program like Kentucky

Better question would be why has he not left for anywhere else when I’m sure he’s gotten some offers

F

It’s Kentucky

Same reason Jimmy, Saban, Cristobal, Chryst, and a plethora of other coaches who you can make a list of that reach a ceiling at one school and can prosper at another

Kentucky has had 3 10 win seasons in their entire history with Stiops having one of them and about to have another but you want to discuss his record at a loser program like Kentucky

Better question would be why has he not left for anywhere else when I’m sure he’s gotten some offers

F

They pay him good....i think he has parlayed him being a name for other programs into multiple pay raises if im not mistaken

It’s Kentucky

F
He just got divorced last year. Wifey now in CO. That can always ***** things up. Another possible factor is he is working for a Rolls Royce of an A.D. Frankly, its extremely tough to visualize him even talking to Flake. CATS had six guys charged with some superficially very real looking charges earlier this year. Stoops said very little about it, no suspensions, and charges were dismissed about 3 months later. Jimbo style response for the players. I'll point this out again, I don't believe UM has the chops for the guy.

Advertisement
There are inherent advantages in South Florida that will allow him to be much more expeditious (than methodical) at Miami. I will also say this, he was around Butch and Jimbo long enough to learn important "things" about recruiting. With all this said, I still can't believe that the administration at Miami is willing to hire a coach with balls that is experienced and confident enough to make real demands of a university before accepting an offer. He wouldn't be coming to Miami just for a raise.
He wasn't around Butch....Butch and Pagano left after the 2000 season...Stoops came in 2001....and Pagano left Stoops the #1 rated secondary in CFB too Boot....

From various posts I read Stoops has a ceiling at UK, which seems true, and hasn’t left UK because he’s leveraged interest from other programs into a $5M/yr salary from UK.

He’s content making $5M and under no pressure to win more than 7-8 games.

So why then would he leave UK for Miami?

Advertisement
From various posts I read Stoops has a ceiling at UK, which seems true, and hasn’t left UK because he’s leveraged interest from other programs into a $5M/yr salary from UK.

His contract also has a stipulation that every time he wins seven games, another year is added to his deal

This right here.
Swipe Up Outer Space GIF by NASA

Again, being better than Manny is irrelevant. If Manny was good we wouldn’t be looking.

And I don’t discount a 10 win season, just like I don’t discount the multiple 5 and 7 win seasons, including 5-6 last year.

Overall he’s been average with average talent.

You would have hated the Jimmy Johnson hire.

You are telling me Jimmy couldn't win more then 8 games at OSU and was only 29-25-3 in his career there. Overall he is average with average talent.

You would have hated the Jimmy Johnson hire.

You are telling me Jimmy couldn't win more then 8 games at OSU and was only 29-25-3 in his career there. Overall he is average with average talent.

I actually loved the Jimmy hire, almost 40 years ago.

Advertisement
This right here.
Swipe Up Outer Space GIF by NASA
This is certainly a possibility, but I don't think someone who is content by nature could have pushed KY to where it is. He may still want more challenges. With TX and OK coming on board, the ACC Coastal trip has to look like a better spot to potential Championships. Championships matter very much to some!

This is certainly a possibility, but I don't think someone who is content by nature could have pushed KY to where it is. He may still want more challenges. With TX and OK coming on board, the ACC Coastal trip has to look like a better spot to potential Championships. Championships matter very much to some!
Yup, he's got to want to go TO something, because he's sure not trying to get away from anything.

Advertisement
When your argument has been shredded, always go for the low hanging fruit

Respect.
Miami has had one 10 win season in how many years? Stoops is about to do it twice, at Kentucky, in the most difficult conference in college football. And he’s doing it with 3 stars. Yet you’re trying to discredit him as a legit candidate, yet you can’t name your first choice. I know it’s hard but Manny will be okay, he’s robbed the university of millions.

Miami has had one 10 win season in how many years? Stoops is about to do it twice, at Kentucky, in the most difficult conference in college football. And he’s doing it with 3 stars. Yet you’re trying to discredit him as a legit candidate, yet you can’t name your first choice. I know it’s hard but Manny will be okay, he’s robbed the university of millions.

You still think this is about Manny and I’m trying to discredit him because of that.

Lol.

And if there’s a 1% chance he’s available Matt Ruhle is my immediate top choice, by a mile.

Advertisement
Back