SIAP - Kentucky Coach Mark Stoops Asked About Miami Coaching Job

Advertisement
From various posts I read Stoops has a ceiling at UK, which seems true, and hasn’t left UK because he’s leveraged interest from other programs into a $5M/yr salary from UK.

He’s content making $5M and under no pressure to win more than 7-8 games.

So why then would he leave UK for Miami?
Well that's the question - if he IS content making $5m a year and under no pressure to push on from his current 7-8 win a year average then he's not the guy for us.

We don't want a complacent HC.

Much like Herman, O'Brien etc - they answer the biggest question about themselves with their expression of interest. This is not going to initially be an easy job, but every HC in America knows that if you do it right you can get this team rolling like few others.

40 years ago a dominant D could carry a team. Jimmy was known for defense.

Today you need to start with a cutting edge offense.

Shockingly, what was important 40 years ago isn’t the same as today.

Stoops first OC hire was Neal Brown, from TTech. He just hired Liam Coen.

This isn't a guy who is stuck in the past on offense. They do what they need to do at UK to win.

Stoops first OC hire was Neal Brown, from TTech. He just hired Liam Coen.

This isn't a guy who is stuck in the past on offense. They do what they need to do at UK to win.
In ‘19, he went 8-5 with a receiver playing QB, literally. This doesn’t say much for his roster management, but it does speak to an offensive line that often was strong enough to line up, promise they were running, and run it right through you. It also speaks to the fact that he takes no pride in offensive scheme or style, he will do WHATEVER gives a team it’s best chance to win. He’s the polar opposite of Golden in this regard.

Advertisement
In ‘19, he went 8-5 with a receiver playing QB, literally. This doesn’t say much for his roster management, but it does speak to an offensive line that often was strong enough to line up, promise they were running, and run it right through you. It also speaks to the fact that he takes no pride in offensive scheme or style, he will do WHATEVER gives a team it’s best chance to win. He’s the polar opposite of Golden in this regard.

Looking at their 19 schedule those 8 wins were vs bottom feeders. Not one good victory.

He’s got the #16 class in the country right now after the Key kid committed there last night

Advertisement
Looking at their 19 schedule those 8 wins were vs bottom feeders. Not one good victory.
How many good victories did Erikson or Johnson have before Miami hired them?

A hire of a young SEC coach at the top of his game would be a major upgrade from Miami’s normal hiring practices.

Didn’t we lose to VT in 2019? Kentucky sure didn't.

Advertisement
For the record I’m not anti Stoops. Give him time I am sure he can build something special. I just don’t see a “He’d kill it here” and “we’d be 6-1 if he was coach” in him.

I don’t think the methodical approach would sit very well with the fan base here.
Which brings me back to where I was when you were shooting holes in posters’ candidates….
👇
Who are your favorite coaching candidates who we could reasonably have a chance of getting?

Which brings me back to where I was when you were shooting holes in posters’ candidates….
👇
Who are your favorite coaching candidates who we could reasonably have a chance of getting?

I’d love Matt Ruhle.

I don’t see Stoops, with that contract and all its perks as a viable option. Kiffin either.

Mario is more viable but he has a ton of red flags imo. I just don’t get the adulation if you’ve watched his team play the last two seasons.

I’d love Matt Ruhle.

I don’t see Stoops, with that contract and all its perks as a viable option. Kiffin either.

Mario is more viable but he has a ton of red flags imo. I just don’t get the adulation if you’ve watched his team play the last two seasons.
I’m not sure anyone is arguing that Mario is a great game day coach. I see him as Butch Davis Light.

Rhule isn’t any more realistic for us than the names being thrown around, especially if Franklin leaves Penn State.

Any others who we could reasonably get?

Advertisement
I’m not sure anyone is arguing that Mario is a great game day coach. I see him as Butch Davis Light.

Rhule isn’t any more realistic for us than the names being thrown around, especially if Franklin leaves Penn State.

Any others who we could reasonably get?

Not on my end. Imo fickell is usc’s guy not Franklin .

Not on my end. Imo fickell is usc’s guy not Franklin .
I think Franklin to LSU has been raised here as a possibility. And seriously, I understand picking holes in the coaches thrown up there as unrealistic. I don’t know that any of them are realistic either but you’re just as bad as the rest of us with Rhule. Lol. I want Freeze and that’s not happening.

Stoops is a very solid coach. Is he a home run hire? No. But I’d take him in a heart beat. He’s had some really solid seasons at Kentucky. In the last four years, he’s had a really good record, including this year. Aside from last which was a down year. Anyone who can win 10 games at Kentucky is solid in my book. And he looks like he’s on his way to another 10 win season.

The ACC is so bad he probably would’ve won the coastal 3 times in the last 4 years. And he’d win this conference with his Kentucky team this year. He’s done a solid job recruiting at a non- traditional school in the SEC. But more importantly he’s a developer of talent. He takes 3 star guys and has them competitive in the toughest conference in CFB.

He’d be a pretty big upgrade here and I’d see consistent 9-11 win seasons with him at the helm. I also think he’d bring a really good coaching staff.
He would be a huge culture upgrade as to tackling anyway. I think he has the possibly to be a homerun hire down here with the right supporting cast...(and that quite often is the issue..)...the BOT needs to be ready to spend to take a real stab at turning this thing around

Advertisement
Back