SIAP - Kentucky Coach Mark Stoops Asked About Miami Coaching Job

He’s about to have another 10 win season this year. How do you think he stacks up vs Manny? I’m curious, because you’ve been on the Manny train. If he was coaching here this year, with this roster, Stoops would be 6-1.

How he stacks up against Manny shouldn’t even be mentioned when evaluating a new coach.

6-1? A coach with a .500 record over eight seasons at Kentucky, is now 6-1 here?

Ok

Advertisement
How he stacks up against Manny shouldn’t even be mentioned when evaluating a new coach.

6-1? A coach with a .500 record over eight seasons at Kentucky, is now 6-1 here?

Ok
He’s at a school that was a perennial bottom feeder in the best conference in the SEC. He has had multiple bowl appearances, and 8+ win seasons with arguably the second least amount of talent in the conference. If he had this Miami roster, this year, you don’t think we’d be 6-1 with a hold of the coastal?

He’s at a school that was a perennial bottom feeder in the best conference in the SEC. He has had multiple bowl appearances, and 8+ win seasons with arguably the second least amount of talent in the conference. If he had this Miami roster, this year, you don’t think we’d be 6-1 with a hold of the coastal?

Posted it earlier. He’s had one 10 win season in 8 years there, otherwise Kentucky’s record over the last 20 years is basically the same with or without him.

9E130C19-3BD2-4B0A-B92A-76A931B1F20D.jpeg

Posted it earlier. He’s had one 10 win season in 8 years there, otherwise Kentucky’s record over the last 20 years is basically the same with or without him.

View attachment 159171

So you are discounting a ten win season in the SEC? We have had one ten win season in the ACC ever. Not sure why you would take out a ten win season. And Mark Stoops is a massive upgrade over Diaz, which means it will never happen with Blake as the AD.

So you are discounting a ten win season in the SEC? We have had one ten win season in the ACC ever. Not sure why you would take out a ten win season. And Mark Stoops is a massive upgrade over Diaz, which means it will never happen with Blake as the AD.

Again, being better than Manny is irrelevant. If Manny was good we wouldn’t be looking.

And I don’t discount a 10 win season, just like I don’t discount the multiple 5 and 7 win seasons, including 5-6 last year.

Overall he’s been average with average talent.

Advertisement

View attachment 159171
He’s going to win 10, 8, and (at least) 10 ballgames in the 3 most recent non-Covid years. Before that, Rich Brooks (who Oregon named it’s field after) won 8 games twice, and UK won 8 or more two other times (actually 10 wins by Curci in ‘77 and 9 wins by Claiborne in ‘84) in the last 50 years. Stoops’ results are not average, or anywhere close to average, in the Bluegrass.

Last edited:
Again, being better than Manny is irrelevant. If Manny was good we wouldn’t be looking.

And I don’t discount a 10 win season, just like I don’t discount the multiple 5 and 7 win seasons, including 5-6 last year.

Overall he’s been average with average talent.
Way below average talent in comparison to the rest of the conference. Who’s your number 1 candidate?

Way below average talent in comparison to the rest of the conference. Who’s your number 1 candidate?

He’s only won 28 of 73 conference games in conference. A dozen or more of those wins are against Vanderbilt and Missouri. So he has about 15 other wins in 9 seasons in the SEC. So his wins are in line with his talent.

And I don’t have a favorite candidate because I don’t think any of the guys being mentioned are legitimate options.

Last edited:
He’s going to win 10, 8, and (at least) 10 ballgames in the 3 most recent non-Covid years. Before that, Rich Brooks (who Oregon named it’s field after) won 8 games twice, and UK won 8 or more two other times (actually 10 wins by Curci in ‘77 and 9 wins by Claiborne in ‘84) in the last 50 years. Stoops’ results are not average, or anywhere close to average, in the Bluegrass.

He’s 28-43 in conference. Almost half of those wins are against Vanderbilt and Missouri.

That’s pretty average.

Last edited:
Advertisement

View attachment 159171
In 5 of his 8 years he's won at least 4 conference games. Before Stoops its only happened once in the 14 previous years. Thats impressive coaching considering what he's working with.

Advertisement
I’d be ok with Mario if we couldn’t get Stoops. No to Kiffin.

I don’t understand this fanbase. Guy wins the games he’s supposed to win, has proven to be one of the best evaluators in CFB, and has outrecruited people at a 3rd tier school but y’all somehow want a guy who can barely go a season without a bad loss? Or another guy that has lost at 2 of the 3 P5 jobs he’s taken? And who knows how good he is without Corral who he inherited.
Amen, most are not able to make the analysis you just made.

Advertisement
Why would anyone want Stoops? He hasn’t even won the east.
You know how hard it is to get to 10 wins at Kentucky??? Happened 3 times in last 60+ years. 1950 championship year 1977 and stoops. He took a 2-10 team 5-7 to 7-6 and then 10-2 in the SEC with basically 3 star players and then he finally got some 4 stars there. It’s not like he took his first job at FIU or FAU, he went to a crap program in the hardest conference and has them playing good ball.

Last edited:

Ok

You almost had time there.

Almost made me forget that he has the highest Winning percentage for any coach there since Blanton Collier and Bear Bryant in the 50’s.

He’s only won 28 of 73 conference games in conference. A dozen or more of those wins are against Vanderbilt and Missouri. So he has about 15 other wins in 9 seasons in the SEC. So his wins are in line with his talent.

And I don’t have a favorite candidate because I don’t think any of the guys being mentioned are legitimate options.
Who’s your favorite legitimate candidate then… someone who seems like a coach we could get?

Advertisement
Back