SIAP - Kentucky Coach Mark Stoops Asked About Miami Coaching Job

Advertisement
Miami doesn’t have Power run spread personnel & it’s much easier said than done to just find 3 interior linemen in the Portal that will be sufficient enough to run the ball similar to Kentucky. They’re barely throwing the ball 18 times a game, that’s a recipe for disaster for Miami...

But, as long as that’s what yall are okay with I won’t ask anymore questions about it.
Liam Coen (Kentucky OC) comes from the McVay tree though. My thinking is he was brought in to modernize the offense. They probably don’t have the athletes or QB to do that yet but it does show that Stoops wants to try to install a more dynamic offense.

It’s a positive sign. Not sure if they’ll get there but it’s an interesting hire nonetheless.

Stoops is a very solid coach. Is he a home run hire? No. But I’d take him in a heart beat. He’s had some really solid seasons at Kentucky. In the last four years, he’s had a really good record, including this year. Aside from last which was a down year. Anyone who can win 10 games at Kentucky is solid in my book. And he looks like he’s on his way to another 10 win season.

The ACC is so bad he probably would’ve won the coastal 3 times in the last 4 years. And he’d win this conference with his Kentucky team this year. He’s done a solid job recruiting at a non- traditional school in the SEC. But more importantly he’s a developer of talent. He takes 3 star guys and has them competitive in the toughest conference in CFB.

He’d be a pretty big upgrade here and I’d see consistent 9-11 win seasons with him at the helm. I also think he’d bring a really good coaching staff.

Biggest difference in hiring someone like Kiffin is that he isn't looking to build a legacy like Saban or other older coaches.

Kiffin looks like someone who is driven to take the shortest route to the Championship and off to the NFL by the next weekend.

And I am fine with that.. .
Tired of binders and pillars, legacy hires and the like.
Bring us someone with the 'ship or death attitude. Not someone looking for a statue in front of the Hecht, ala Bobby.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Both.

It’s just an evolved adaptation on the Air Raid, Sonny is an old school Leach disciple from back in the early Kentucky days, so he’s seen it from the architectural stages when it was brought from Hal Mumme from Valdosta St to D1 football.

But the the system that Lincoln Riley, Kiffin Kingsbury, Josh Heupel, Kendal Briles, Jeff Lebby, Zach Kittley, Garrett Riley etc is not the same as the old school Air Raid that Leach still runs, they combined it with the uptempo spread run game & created more balance to not allow Defenses to just pin their ears back & attack the OL.

Garrett is the next amongst the young crop of offensive gurus out there, he learned under his brother at ECU & David Beaty at Kansas, plus had a year at App St with Eli Drinkwitz before going to SMU. He’s not the main play caller for SMU, but he’s getting Master class tutelage under Dykes & will more than likely get hired as an OC for a P5 school in the coming years.
I would take a swing with a new HC (whoever that might be) but I was curious since Lashlee also worked under Sonny for a couple years, but knew he came from a different tree entirely (I think)

So in my imaginary world, Mario or Stoops picks an up and comer like this guy.

Adam Anderson, Nolan Smith, Quay Walker are all from Georgia. 3 of their top 5 defenders and then Jordan Davis is from NC and Nakobe Dean is from Mississippi.

You're right though they are just making great evals across the country and developing them the right way. They just get the best talent from their home state on a more consistent basis than any of the Big 3 in Florida in our home state.

A lot of times the teams that start recruiting national start trending down because its harder to make solid evals but it's working for them and Alabama.
Or the fact they have NO instate competition.

We have a big 3 and legitimate other div 1 programs in the state like UCF etc.

The whole EVAL thing when it comes to Bama and UGA grinds me because they essentially offer **** near every 5 star in the country. Their "offer" list usually trumps most other schools.
Most kids instate in Georgia lean to UGA....its like GT doesnt even exist. We legitimately have 3 programs that at any given time can be in national title contention in UF, UM, FSU.....with legitimate fan bases.

An before its stated the SEC is Kneedeep in s.fla and he rest of florida to...more so than even in GA.

This guy pokes his head out of the SEC East every 5 years and beats a couple over rated teams and gets hot.

He’s a .500 coach.

Florida is just about to fire a coach with a much better record at MSU in a much better division.

This is the overcompensation we’d make after so many atrocious coaches. We go with the sure average coach. This guys not getting us beating the Big boys.

Stoops is a very solid coach. Is he a home run hire? No. But I’d take him in a heart beat. He’s had some really solid seasons at Kentucky. In the last four years, he’s had a really good record, including this year. Aside from last which was a down year. Anyone who can win 10 games at Kentucky is solid in my book. And he looks like he’s on his way to another 10 win season.

The ACC is so bad he probably would’ve won the coastal 3 times in the last 4 years. And he’d win this conference with his Kentucky team this year. He’s done a solid job recruiting at a non- traditional school in the SEC. But more importantly he’s a developer of talent. He takes 3 star guys and has them competitive in the toughest conference in CFB.

He’d be a pretty big upgrade here and I’d see consistent 9-11 win seasons with him at the helm. I also think he’d bring a really good coaching staff.

He’s had 1 1/2 good seasons and 4 seasons with 5 wins or less. The rest are around .500.

How does that translate to consistently winning 9-11 games.

Advertisement
Have any of yall watched Kentucky this year or over the last 3 seasons?

What gives yall such confidence that our OL is capable of running their style of offense? Have yall forgot that fast about the Enox season??

And more importantly, if you’re of the belief that he would hire a Spread OC, why would he stray from what has worked for him at Kentucky & do something he’s never done while at Miami? Like if you’re Mark Stoops & this style offense has won you 10 games in 2018 & has you on the verge of another 10 win season this year, why would you ditch it at a new program?

I’m not tryna throw a monkey wrench in the parade float, I’m looking for some legit logic behind so many of our fans being so hellbent on us reverting back to the days when we struggled immensely in moving the ball?

Maybe you guys don’t think it will matter, but you have to take into scope the state of the game today & calculate how we’ll play considering our personnel & how that translates to what happens in games... Like just think, does Miami beat NC State by pounding the rock like Kentucky did against South Carolina, UF, LSU & Mizzou?

Kentucky has only 3 games with more than 30 passing attempts, those games were vs Chattanooga & Louisiana Monroe; they’ve thrown the ball more than 20 times against only one of the P5 opponents they’ve played this year & that was vs UGA in a loss.

So what does that mean? They’re winning games with Defense & running the ball, do you guys think Miami has the roster to win games with Defense & running the ball in a similar fashion? And how long do you think it will take for him to build this roster up to that point?

He would finally have QB that throw the bowl accurately father than 5 yards

I’ve never suggested Holgorsen, actually I’d be against him more than I am for Stoops or Mario.

I’d take Belk though lol, he’d open up Texas recruiting for us like we’ve never seen.

I was kidding. Well, about the Holgorsen part. I like Belk a lot and of course I'd throw the farm at Briles.

He’s had 1 1/2 good seasons and 4 seasons with 5 wins or less. The rest are around .500.

Kentucky is pretty far down the pecking order when it comes to SEC football. They're not Vandy but they're certainly in the bottom tier of SEC football programs.

Had a really great season in 2018 and is on track to potentially top that this year. So he's on track to have more 10 win seasons over the last 4 years than Miami's had over the last 18 years.

Oh and he's doing this playing out of the SEC East. Meaning he faces UGA and UF every year + random matchups against Bama, LSU, Auburn, Texas A&M, etc.

Yes, he has been mediocre every year after that. But I think the argument people are making is that if you can have seasons like that in Kentucky then surely finding a way to 10 games consistently in the weak ACC, where you will almost always be the more talented team, should be more than doable.

Advertisement
View attachment 159120

A lot of people are calling Kentucky a perennial bottom dweller. But with two exceptions, stoops has done pretty much what they’ve done for the last 20 years.
Rich Brooks was a great football coach at KY and Oregon. Oregon named its field after the guy. Stoops' predecessor, Joker Phillips, ran the program deeper into the ditch than Bill Curry.

Advertisement
Kentucky is pretty far down the pecking order when it comes to SEC football. They're not Vandy but they're certainly in the bottom tier of SEC football programs.

Had a really great season in 2018 and is on track to potentially top that this year. So he's on track to have more 10 win seasons over the last 4 years than Miami's had over the last 18 years.

Oh and he's doing this playing out of the SEC East. Meaning he faces UGA and UF every year + random matchups against Bama, LSU, Auburn, Texas A&M, etc.

Yes, he has been mediocre every year after that. But I think the argument people are making is that if you can have seasons like that in Kentucky then surely finding a way to 10 games consistently in the weak ACC, where you will almost always be the more talented team, should be more than

Louisiana Monroe
Missouri
Chattanooga
South Carolina
Florida
LSU

These teams right now are underdogs or light favorites against multiple ACC teams.

The East is meh this year

Diaz gets no respect. You got reporters out here asking other coaches about taking your job while your still employed.

Honestly, he’s earned that lack of respect. I’m not one of those guys it’s in favor of abusive behavior, or messing with coaches in their houses, but disrespect from the media? He’s earned that.

He’s about to have another 10 win season this year. How do you think he stacks up vs Manny? I’m curious, because you’ve been on the Manny train. If he was coaching here this year, with this roster, Stoops would be 6-1.

Advertisement
Back