SIAP - Kentucky Coach Mark Stoops Asked About Miami Coaching Job

Just curious, in your opinion, would Stoops be willing to adjust his offensive philosophy if he had the players to do it? Does he run the type of offense he currently does because of the talent available or is that his basic offensive philosophy?

if a coach hasn't changed since hes began, hes unlikely to change it later on. coaches are rarely flexible esp with what they believe in. Saban was really one of the few that did a huge 180 from his early days at Bama to the spread embrace when he hired Lane. (im not going to include Manny going from Enos to Rhett bc Manny sucks lol)

Advertisement
Just curious, in your opinion, would Stoops be willing to adjust his offensive philosophy if he had the players to do it? Does he run the type of offense he currently does because of the talent available or is that his basic offensive philosophy?
Stoops’ offensive philosophy is to identify great offensive coaching talent and turn the keys over to them. With that said, his one constant has been rugged, strong, and effective OL play. I suspect this is a product of his Youngstown (I believe) upbringing. I also suspect he’s privy to Offensive coaching insider info. due to his and his brothers’ particular coaching networks. He can certainly privately tap into better collegiate-geared minds than those to which Manny (and many others) has access to assist in hiring coaches.

For those interested in Stoops, KY plays the pirate in Starkville on Saturday. Could be a good test. If State’s DL doesn’t get bullied (and I don’t expect it to), you may get a glimpse of what Stoops’ young OC (and, vicariously, Stoops) can do. The OC called a great game against UGA, but there were key drops that folded series on him. The kid, Liam Coen (https://amp.courier-journal.com/amp/6076775001), is an up and comer and got some experience with the Rams staff.

Those who think Stoops can’t/won’t adjust a rigid offensive system are mistaken. He responsibly subs out that side of the ball.

Last edited:
Stoops’ offensive philosophy is to identify great offensive coaching talent and turn the keys over to them. With that said, his one constant has been rugged, strong, and effective OL play. I suspect this is a product of his Youngstown (I believe) upbringing. I also suspect he’s privy to Offensive coaching insider info. due to his and his brothers’ particular coaching networks. He can certainly privately tap into better collegiate-geared minds than those to which Manny (and many others) has access to assist in hiring coaches.
I am confused as to why you're even entertaining this thread. You previously said he was not even a legitimate option.

Advertisement
if a coach hasn't changed since hes began, hes unlikely to change it later on. coaches are rarely flexible esp with what they believe in. Saban was really one of the few that did a huge 180 from his early days at Bama to the spread embrace when he hired Lane. (im not going to include Manny going from Enos to Rhett bc Manny sucks lol)
Sabag is obviously the perfect example of a HC adjusting his offensive philosophy based on talent and the CFB offensive landscape. That’s why I asked the question is Stoops adamant about his current philosophy or would he be open to adjusting?

Advertisement
I am confused as to why you're even entertaining this thread. You previously said he was not even a legitimate option.
I wrongly assumed Barnhardt had him hog-tied contractually. I also assumed the UM brass would not risk marrying a guy whose nuts are dropped and is not clean off the field to pilot this program. Hope I’m wrong on the second point like may have been on the first.

@SouthParkCane or @Liberty City El , got a question. Is the younger Riley (SMU OC) any good, or is that offense just a product of sonny dykes?
Both.

It’s just an evolved adaptation on the Air Raid, Sonny is an old school Leach disciple from back in the early Kentucky days, so he’s seen it from the architectural stages when it was brought from Hal Mumme from Valdosta St to D1 football.

But the the system that Lincoln Riley, Kiffin Kingsbury, Josh Heupel, Kendal Briles, Jeff Lebby, Zach Kittley, Garrett Riley etc is not the same as the old school Air Raid that Leach still runs, they combined it with the uptempo spread run game & created more balance to not allow Defenses to just pin their ears back & attack the OL.

Garrett is the next amongst the young crop of offensive gurus out there, he learned under his brother at ECU & David Beaty at Kansas, plus had a year at App St with Eli Drinkwitz before going to SMU. He’s not the main play caller for SMU, but he’s getting Master class tutelage under Dykes & will more than likely get hired as an OC for a P5 school in the coming years.

1D1F0909-278D-4818-A03E-AA19983F5982.jpeg

A lot of people are calling Kentucky a perennial bottom dweller. But with two exceptions, stoops has done pretty much what they’ve done for the last 20 years.

Advertisement
I will pass on Stoops as #1 or #2 choice
After Golden and Manny, Stoops would be a much welcomed upgrade but I don’t think he’s a top 2 choice for the bot when the hc search starts, if it hasn’t already began behind closed doors

…Obviously the hope we hire him is contingent upon if he’s willing to change the offensive scheme and how he’d plan to fill out his staff...

Alphas, which I’m sure Stoops is, aren’t going to let anyone tell them what to do, or allow these types of contingencies to affect what they ultimately want their philosophy, offensive or otherwise, to be.

Advertisement
Alphas, which I’m sure Stoops is, aren’t going to let anyone tell them what to do, or allow these types of contingencies to affect what they ultimately want their philosophy, offensive or otherwise, to be.
I said the hiring would be contingent upon more than just his known strengths, not forcing contingencies upon him.

No one mentioned telling him what to do, that’s no one’s place. It’s about understanding his philosophy and how he’s willing to adapt his philosophies from one job to another with a very different landscape. Not everything that works at Kentucky will work here.

Doing due diligence to see what his vision is to see if it aligns with yours as an AD is how you determine the fit beyond his known strengths.

It’s not about telling him what to do, that’s no one’s place. It’s about understanding his philosophy and how he’s willing to adapt his philosophies from one job to another with a very different landscape.

Forcing it on him will never work, but doing due diligence to see what his vision is to see if it aligns with yours as an AD is how you determine the fit beyond his known strengths.

If you’re asking a coach to change his long term coaching style before he even starts that regime is already doomed imo.

I want a coach with the only offensive philosophy that matters: WINNING
Unless said coach is stubborn to the point he is run out of town, he should adjust so he can still win. He wouldn't be a successful coach who aspires to championships unless he is smart enough to adjust.

I believe Stoops is a smart coach.

If you’re asking a coach to change his long term coaching style before he even starts that regime is already doomed imo.
Once again not asking him to do so- asking him if he DOES plan to do so. Can he identify the differences in UK vs UM as programs in 2021?

Every coach is stubborn, but if he’s too stubborn in his philosophies a la CMR, then you move on (or move forward) once that determination has been made.

Advertisement
Back