SIAP - Kentucky Coach Mark Stoops Asked About Miami Coaching Job

Advertisement
Seems like a given. We can see the scheme is bad. We can also see the kids aren’t as talented as their rating suggests relative to kids from the state of Georgia especially. Probably why UGA is clicking right now
How many of UGAs best guys are from Georgia? They’re a national recruiting machine

I wholeheartedly agree with @Liberty City El : with Mario and Stoops there is no explosive passing offense.

Now, would they be an upgrade compared to what we had in the last 15 years? Absolutely! I'd be quite happy with both of them but if I could choose I'd pick a schematic savage offensive guru, this is the direction where college football is going and, also, you wouldn't need to worry about an OC hire.

Bottom line: you have to score points* to win.

*or sign like 10 5-stars on defense every year.

Those are fair points.

I used to not care what kind of offense we run either until we started losing games because we couldn’t move the ball.

I think most fans have that mentality, but it’s one of those things that people will overlook until the season rolls around & we’re at TAMU next year trying to run the ball against 8 man fronts vs a legit DLine that’s stuffing the run game, just like what’s happened against every OOC P5 team we’ve faced over the last 5 years.
Liberty you gotta remember what these guys have been through. We’ve been beaten down by crap coaches and all of us are just looking for a guy to pull us out of the mud and get us back looking respectable. Mark has that ability.

In my opinion he’s a smart guy and will change things around so they works rather than square leg round hole it into oblivion. However no guarantees. Your points are valid but as far as running a program and raising the floor stoops is probably the superior option to a lot of candidates being tossed around

Maybe stoops would throw the ball more if he had a quarterback that could throw ball. Maybe that’s also an indictment on him as a coach and recruiter. But then keep that same energy when talking Mario and Anthony brown

Advertisement
Maybe stoops would throw the ball more if he had a quarterback that could throw ball. Maybe that’s also an indictment on him as a coach and recruiter. But then keep that same energy when talking Mario and Anthony brown
Is it really? He took the job in ‘13 and Kentucky hasn’t had a decent QB since ‘07 with Andre Woodson.

Have any of yall watched Kentucky this year or over the last 3 seasons?

What gives yall such confidence that our OL is capable of running their style of offense? Have yall forgot that fast about the Enox season??

And more importantly, if you’re of the belief that he would hire a Spread OC, why would he stray from what has worked for him at Kentucky & do something he’s never done while at Miami? Like if you’re Mark Stoops & this style offense has won you 10 games in 2018 & has you on the verge of another 10 win season this year, why would you ditch it at a new program?

I’m not tryna throw a monkey wrench in the parade float, I’m looking for some legit logic behind so many of our fans being so hellbent on us reverting back to the days when we struggled immensely in moving the ball?

Maybe you guys don’t think it will matter, but you have to take into scope the state of the game today & calculate how we’ll play considering our personnel & how that translates to what happens in games... Like just think, does Miami beat NC State by pounding the rock like Kentucky did against South Carolina, UF, LSU & Mizzou?

Kentucky has only 3 games with more than 30 passing attempts, those games were vs Chattanooga & Louisiana Monroe; they’ve thrown the ball more than 20 times against only one of the P5 opponents they’ve played this year & that was vs UGA in a loss.

So what does that mean? They’re winning games with Defense & running the ball, do you guys think Miami has the roster to win games with Defense & running the ball in a similar fashion? And how long do you think it will take for him to build this roster up to that point?
Elegant and well thought out post.

I think he would be adaptable given the personnel available to him here but Enos year has me sweating due to the personnel & scheme not fitting.

This is where I know for sure Mario would get it and why I feel he is the best choice.

Last edited:
I agree, but you don’t go from being a soft to physical team in one season...

That takes time & considering how much we failed in recruiting OL, I’m just curious to see how patient fans would be to wait for us to become this physical team they want us to be?

Because during the process of becoming physical we’re not all of the sudden going to start winning games, while transitioning over the roster to become more heavy in the tranches & built to be more Power run centered we’re gonna have some tough losses in the process, so all I’m asking is are people sure they’re gonna be okay with that until we can finally run the ball like yall want? Like are yall good with 2 possibly 3 more years of 6-6/7-5 type seasons until we can be more stout at the line of scrimmage?

Because there is an alternative to produce faster results, but if yall are good with going all in becoming a Power run team then okay, just make sure yall remember that when we’re still 7-5 in year 3 lol, that’s all I’m saying...
I'm not a huge Stoops fan, but the other factor if we did hire him is the portal. With the addition of 7 ICs for kids in the portal and us having a small class, any new coach could possibly add 15+ kids from the portal. Obviously that depends on the amount of HS kids we actually land, but we could have a huge portal class like Michigan State did.

Would we add the right kids in the portal to solidify the trenches? Who knows. That could help us with a faster turn around though.

Does Butch Davis name ring a bell?
We had Larry Coker who was a good but not a world beater OC under a defensive but solid all around coach.
We were scoring loads of points on people with the right pieces in place.
That what is we need. We need a program builder now and people talking about offensive scheme.
Don’t disagree with you but I think you are talking about a complete offensive overhaul including the personnel and that’s not an immediate fix as it would take time.

Advertisement
Precisely.
Just wanted to make sure I responded to you because as always you bring nuance to the conversation.

For me as a fan of a Stoops hire, it’s because of his ability to beat teams with more talent, his defense, and how his players show progression.

That is where the mere support comes from. Obviously the hope we hire him is contingent upon if he’s willing to change the offensive scheme and how he’d plan to fill out his staff.

Similar to Kiffin, yeah I’d love his offense but I’d need to see what his plans are for the Miami defense and his staff on that side of the ball.

What I’m saying is, we choose only to see the positives in our choice at the moment, but if/when it becomes a more realistic possibility, that’s when you actually examine all aspects of a certain hire imho.

For now, it’s ok to be a fan boy because Blake isn’t even officially gone!

His current QB is a player. Howitzer for an arm.

Kentucky has basically been a run heavy offense for the last 5 years, which leads me to believe that’s the style the Mark prefers... He may have fired Gran, but they’re still not throwing the ball under Coen’s play calling.

But lets say he comes to Miami, is he gonna abandon that philosophy if it’s produced his best results for him?

Has Mark Stoops ever had an OC that placed an emphasis on throwing the ball?

If Miami had the personnel to support a pound the rock offense he’d be perfect, but from looking at our roster going forward doesn’t appear we have the horses for that kind of race.
The answer you’re looking for is no. And mark stoops is old dog. His offense/recipe isn’t going anywhere

How many of UGAs best guys are from Georgia? They’re a national recruiting machine
Adam Anderson, Nolan Smith, Quay Walker are all from Georgia. 3 of their top 5 defenders and then Jordan Davis is from NC and Nakobe Dean is from Mississippi.

You're right though they are just making great evals across the country and developing them the right way. They just get the best talent from their home state on a more consistent basis than any of the Big 3 in Florida in our home state.

A lot of times the teams that start recruiting national start trending down because its harder to make solid evals but it's working for them and Alabama.

Advertisement
Anyone worried about recruiting 1st doesn’t have their priorities straight. Our talent relative to our yearly competition means we should sleepwalk to 9 wins every year.

You know what recruits SoFlo well? A winning Miami program that develops its players. Get me a coach that can develop his players and the recruiting will come.
THIS

Miami doesn’t have Power run spread personnel & it’s much easier said than done to just find 3 interior linemen in the Portal that will be sufficient enough to run the ball similar to Kentucky.

You don't need hella talent to run the Power Spread. Clemson has won 2 Natties, appeared in 3, with 6 consecutive CFP appearances averaging 3*s across the line.

Advertisement
That’s all I’ve been trying to figure out lol

Cause like if we’re gonna play Mark Stoops ball in Miami that’s not gonna happen overnight, it’ll take at 2-3 years tops before our OL has even a modicum of closeness to Kentucky’s, so in the meantime in between time, what happens then? Are fans gonna be okay with us essentially remaining a 7-5 type team until Mark figures out the QB & transforms our OL?

I guess what I’ve been asking is, how patient are yall tryna be? Do yall wanna wait 3-4 years with a Run first HC or do we get us a Pass first offensive guru that can turn things around faster & win while in the process of transforming the roster to fit what’s he’s looking for?

It seems to me most of our fans are saying they’re okay with a slow build in theory, but from what I know about us if Miami is still trying to get over the hump by year 3 with these Power run coaches everyone wants they’ll be calling for their heads just like they do with every other coach lol.

Sooooo Holgorsen, Doug Belk, and Kendal Briles? Gotcha.

Miami doesn’t have Power run spread personnel & it’s much easier said than done to just find 3 interior linemen in the Portal that will be sufficient enough to run the ball similar to Kentucky. They’re barely throwing the ball 18 times a game, that’s a recipe for disaster for Miami...

But, as long as that’s what yall are okay with I won’t ask anymore questions about it.
Just curious, in your opinion, would Stoops be willing to adjust his offensive philosophy if he had the players to do it? Does he run the type of offense he currently does because of the talent available or is that his basic offensive philosophy?

Advertisement
Back