SIAP JESS SIMPSON EXPECTED TO BE MIAMI'S NEW DL COACH

SIAP

From an article soon after ATL hired him:

So far, both Quinn and Manuel have been very pleased with the adjustments Simpson has made to his new job.
Quinn isn’t surprised at all, considering he and Young have known Simpson longer than anyone else on the Falcons’ staff. The head coach remembers the positive first impression Simpson made on them when they first met eight years ago while attending a summer camp at the University of Florida during Quinn’s tenure as defensive line coach with the Seattle Seahawks.
The qualities he saw in Simpson, along with other observations he made while recruiting some of his former players at Buford while defensive coordinator at Florida, are what Quinn says has made Simpson a very quick study and a natural for his current job.
“Learning to evaluate from the college players that are here, so he went through pro free agents and college free agents,” Quinn said. “That’s an important thing to go through. It’s like his first cycle of players. From a pro side, from a college side and then now, getting on the field to work with these guys. Each time he goes through that cycle, it adds to his experience.

“NFL players, they want to see, ‘Can this coach help me?’ You can clearly see the type of teacher he is, the way he communicates, the way he can articulate it, the way he can teach it. He is a teacher at heart.”

Thanks for the relevant info. Quinn is obviously a very big fan. He gives Simpson high marks in evaluation and coaching/teaching ability. Any HS coach who won 7 State Titles in 12 years is a great teacher/developer of players. I hope the rest of the board reads your post. To me, the most important info posted yet. Thanks again and nice work on the research. I'm looking forward to seeing how this unfolds.

Go Canes!

Advertisement
I'm not one of these people that overrates technicians at the position level (other than QB). Obviously there are different levels of teachers, but at the end of the day, there are only so many techniques and tricks that can be taught. Some communicate better, some motivate better, etc., but position technique is not rocket science no matter how much some people want it to be when pumping up certain coaches.

My concern is this - there is no one in that defensive room anymore who has the resume to stand up and tell Manny when he's full of ****. Manny does a lot well, and in general I like him here... Miami athletes need an aggressive **** calling a defense. However, there are some real elephants in the room with our defensive performance under Diaz and I fear that Kul being replaced with a virtual CFB rookie means he's now totally surrounded by guys who don't have a lot of clout to tell the guy "hey, maybe we should try to do something different on 3rd downs, bud".

The guy needs to be a great recruiter. The GA ties need to pay off immediately. It can't be a Rumph "well he got us in the conversation" kind of thing if he's going to come here with such a thin resume at this level. We have a lot of inefficiencies on this staff, and especially on the defensive side of the ball. These guys gonna have to grow up in a hurry or it's hard to see us taking the next step forward. They're behind the 8ball immediately because of Kul's recruiting failures. I hope he comes in and crushes it. I'd love nothing more than for Kul to be replaced by someone who gets better performance out of his guys.
I think it will actually translate well coaching Buford that long and being from the area originally will pay dividends .. We're already starting to creep into Georgia recruiting I think this gives us a better foothold

Another poster said it earlier but kool left us at the worst time. I wonder how far down the list this guy was after kool left.

The coach at OSU* is the very highly-regarded Larry Johnson Sr, who has turned some very good DLines at Penn State and now OSU*.
Before Penn State he was a very successful HS in southern Maryland and before that I think coached in northern VA (TC Williams?)....but he was essentially a HS coach who made the jump to big time college ball. Johnson is also a very successful recruiter, especially in the Balt-DC area, which is why Urban nabbed him.
Lots of HAS coaches are making the jump from HS to college, especially those from states with strong HAS football....look at Chad Morris as one of many examples.

One of the best Dline coaches for many many years now and a huge reason Penn State has been able to recruit Maryland so well over those years.

Still kills me to see him in OSU colors.

Advertisement
That’s cuz she puts out.
MajorWavyBaldeagle-max-1mb.gif

If you can sell (and that’s what recruiting is) you don’t need the “I put 7 guys in the nfl” rap to be successful. How many guys did Hartley put in the NFL when he became a vicious murderer recruiting?

Or how about this? "Trust me kid, I put 80+ kids in Division 1 programs. I know what it takes to play at this level."

Advertisement
I got the feeling this guy was brought in mainly for recruiting based on his pedigree. Looks like his background is predominantly at the high school level.

Not predominantly, exclusively almost.

Hate this move when compared to an established DL college coach that can recruit.

I would imagine, without admitting it, while all the time (as he should) railing on about the dumpster truck full of people interested in the job, Richt is restrained financially and does not have true interest from the types he cannot afford...quite frankly, like Kool.

If true, I can't blame him. Load up on energetic guys that can recruit like crazy and work to get some steals from the wealthy that can afford the top end coaching. I have no idea if he reached out to Kevin Patrick or even considered him. Obviously a perfect fit IMHO simply from a recruiting and experience perspective, but maybe he has even surpassed what he can do and Kool was just lucky timing for a few years like some say....who the **** knows.

I will be very curious to hear Jackson, Garvin, etc. comment on the difference in coaching between Kool and this guy. At least we know the foundation for these guys is solid.

UM

Last edited:
If you can sell (and that’s what recruiting is) you don’t need the “I put 7 guys in the nfl” rap to be successful. How many guys did Hartley put in the NFL when he became a vicious murderer recruiting?

You're definitely not wrong and I agree its not a requirement, i'm just saying it certainly helps. Imagine how unstoppable Hartley will be once he actually puts people in the league. Anyway i'm cautiously optimistic as always with anything involving the U.

An interesting point to this (and we will never know for sure) is who actually brought in Simpson? I was under the impression that Diaz had full reign on the Defense but this sure seems like a Richt choice (or at least recommendation) if you asked me. Perhaps i'm wrong though

Davion, my man, you just got dunked on. You’ve got to give Chise his due on that one.

When Hartley got hired I’m pretty sure I thought he was going to be the shlttiest recruiter on the staff.

Advertisement
Not predominantly, exclusively almost.

Hate this move when compared to an established DL college coach that can recruit.

I would imagine, without admitting it, while all the time (as he should) railing on about the dumpster truck full of people interested in the job, Richt is restrained financially and does not have true interest from the types he cannot afford...quite frankly, like Kool.

If true, I can't blame him. Load up on energetic guys that can recruit like crazy and work to get some steals from the wealthy that can afford the top end coaching. I have no idea if he reached out to Kevin Patrick or even considered him. Obviously a perfect fit IMHO simply from a recruiting and experience perspective, but maybe he has even surpassed what he can do and Kool was just lucky timing for a few years like some say....who the **** knows.

I will be very curious to hear Jackson, Garvin, etc. comment on the difference in coaching between Kool and this guy. At least we know the foundation for these guys is solid.

UM
Except Coach Kool was an unmitigated disaster as a recruiter.

If we get Simpson he's coming from an NFL salary - he's not taking a cut in pay to come here.

Have lived in GA all my life and have been Canes fan during that same span. Never posted until now but I felt now would be a good time as the topic is relevant to my area.
I do not think it is confirmed yet but I certainly hope the news on Jess Simpson is true. This man might be the best kept secret in college football. Dan Quinn (Falcons) hired him from High School for a reason. Jess has some ridiculous number of state championships in GA and still holds the record of consecutive wins in GA. More importantly, the guy flat out knows how to coach linemen. We have a lot of great coaches but this might be the best hire other than Mark Richt himself.
I really hope this is confirmed.

Sure hope your right.

Advertisement
Another poster said it earlier but kool left us at the worst time. I wonder how far down the list this guy was after kool left.
I think he left us at the best time. We've JUST about enough talent on the Dline to tide us over until next February. Another recruiting performance like the last two on the Dline and we'd be moving LBs to DE.

Except Coach Kool was an unmitigated disaster as a recruiter.

If we get Simpson he's coming from an NFL salary - he's not taking a cut in pay to come here.

Yeah, what does a DL assistant make? Just curious. I'm sure it's decent...but I doubt it is what Kool is making at Alabama.

Kool is a technician, not a rah rah recruiting guy...I get that. We do not normally land a guy like that, and he likely took a pay cut coming here for a brief stint as he was the $EC's best hidden secret probably.

I just don't want to go 180 degrees in the opposite direction for JUST recruiting, and hope we aren't (though we need it). Being a stellar head coach in high school doesn't make a guy all-world at a particular position. I hope all the guys that love this hire from Georgia are dead on balls tho...

UM

Advertisement
Back