SIAP JESS SIMPSON EXPECTED TO BE MIAMI'S NEW DL COACH

Advertisement
I'm not one of these people that overrates technicians at the position level (other than QB). Obviously there are different levels of teachers, but at the end of the day, there are only so many techniques and tricks that can be taught. Some communicate better, some motivate better, etc., but position technique is not rocket science no matter how much some people want it to be when pumping up certain coaches.

My concern is this - there is no one in that defensive room anymore who has the resume to stand up and tell Manny when he's full of ****. Manny does a lot well, and in general I like him here... Miami athletes need an aggressive **** calling a defense. However, there are some real elephants in the room with our defensive performance under Diaz and I fear that Kul being replaced with a virtual CFB rookie means he's now totally surrounded by guys who don't have a lot of clout to tell the guy "hey, maybe we should try to do something different on 3rd downs, bud".

The guy needs to be a great recruiter. The GA ties need to pay off immediately. It can't be a Rumph "well he got us in the conversation" kind of thing if he's going to come here with such a thin resume at this level. We have a lot of inefficiencies on this staff, and especially on the defensive side of the ball. These guys gonna have to grow up in a hurry or it's hard to see us taking the next step forward. They're behind the 8ball immediately because of Kul's recruiting failures. I hope he comes in and crushes it. I'd love nothing more than for Kul to be replaced by someone who gets better performance out of his guys.

Solid hire I think. As others have said...worked with Dan Quinn, who's a solid defensive guy in his own right, ATL's DL is a great unit. Plus, he's a known commodity in GA HS circles, which is going to help us there, as that state is loaded with talent. Has to be an upgrade, recruiting-wise over Kool, though I think a chain-smoking owl would be an upgrade in that direction.

A real up-and-coming guy. Not bad at all.

However, there are some real elephants in the room with our defensive performance under Diaz and I fear that Kul being replaced with a virtual CFB rookie means he's now totally surrounded by guys who don't have a lot of clout to tell the guy "hey, maybe we should try to do something different on 3rd downs, bud".

This is my problem with the offense. There isn't one coach who actually has experience play calling and diagnosing. At least Manny isn't required to be the HC as well as the DC. In addition, he has been a DC for a long time and actually has had success here (recently).

I don't understand how we got no additional help on offense or special teams.

I'm withholding judgement until I see some results.

But what this hire does signify is Richt is pretty much a benevolent dictator, he really doesn't want any coaches with tenure that could even look like they might do or think something that he's not on board with. That can be both a good or bad thing depending on how it ends up.

This could end up being an absolute Homerun hire if he really has pull in the crootin' game, if he's as beloved as some of yall have said then we should see that impact right away.

I'm not crowning or bashing him before he actually does anything, but he better land us some high profile 4/5-star DL's simple as that.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Think this will be a good hire, you don't go from HS to coaching the in pros for no reason he was being groomed. On top of that being such a respected HS coach in Georgia will help also shows he will probably be able to connect with recruits better than Kool did. That Patke hire is the only one that has irked me

I'm sure he can be a very good coach

Only question I have is if he can bring us top tier DTs

If we just hire another guy who can't recruit, it's a complete wash

Not even a wash. At the very least we were able to say Kool put guys in the league (which helps recruiting). This dude won't be able to say that for a few years at least.

One thing I hope is a result, use the salary savings from Kool to Simpson to upgrade/increase off field recruiting staff

Advertisement
love how richt is going about recruiting. we're locking down south Florida. cherry picking talent from jax and other parts of Florida and going into GA. never really got kids from jax or GA before. both have tons of talent. sprinkle in the other few kids from around the country who are actively trying to get to UM, and we'll be good. this team will be 60-65% south Florida, another 15% from the rest of the state, 10% GA and 10% the rest of the country.
only straight ballers from outside FL and GA are going to get in here.

If on an annual basis we can sign the guys we want from S. Florida first and foremost, C. and N. Florida second, and then Georgia third, we will maintain a championship contending roster. This way, you only need to sprinkle in the national recruits like Brevin Jordan. You land them - great. If not, not the end of the world.

Good strategy by Richt, imo.

Cool, so why Patke? Was it his lack of real experience? Was it that nobody wanted him as an actual coach, similar to Jon Richt, and we decided to promote him? Are we celebrating he was GA? Is the Incarnate Word the best at producing coaches?

Maybe Diaz is hard to work with, ego wise, and that is why we hired someone like Patke?

Maybe we had no other options for Kul and promoted him at the last minute (to recruiting)?

Jon Richt coached with the Buffalo Bills the year prior to joining his dad in Miami. Camped out to reel back in Perry. Camped out to get a commitment from Williams. Camping out in Oregon to get a commitment from Johnson. He has demonstrated some ability to recruit. His dad is coaching the quarterbacks. Jon is doing all the grunt work.

Look, as long as Diaz is the DC he does get some say in the hires. I could care less Patke did 2-years as a GA getting an MBA at Incarnate Word. The guy played linebacker at an FCS school and did some GA time at an FCS school. Coaching is littered with guys like Patke. He did his time at Louisiana Tech, Mississippi State and Miami. He understands what Diaz wants to do probably better than anybody on staff especially with his linebackers. We need guys willing to work 14-hour days and willing to be on an airplane looking for prospects. We aren't bankrolling some large backoffice staff like Alabama.

Last edited:
Keep in mind Don Soldinger was only a HS coach before he came to Miami. I think Don coached TE's, LB's and RB's at different times. I don't think he was ever a college coach other than two stints at Miami. He might have lost intensity and effectiveness later in his career but he developed Portis, Davenport, McGahee, and maybe Gore at different times. He was also one of our better recruiters.
My favorite assistant ever..

I will trust the staff's decision on this instead of a bunch of cry baby fans who know little to nothing about college football and recruiting. Expect a lot of Georgia d linemen! Yes you can say his resume is meh but he is a legend in Georgia, one of the most highly respected and reputable coaches ever, got the call to help be on the defensive staff for an NFL team under a great defensive minded head coach. I like this 100%.

By your logic we should just remove the forums on this website. God forbid anyone have the ability to form their own opinion.

Advertisement
Have lived in GA all my life and have been Canes fan during that same span. Never posted until now but I felt now would be a good time as the topic is relevant to my area.
I do not think it is confirmed yet but I certainly hope the news on Jess Simpson is true. This man might be the best kept secret in college football. Dan Quinn (Falcons) hired him from High School for a reason. Jess has some ridiculous number of state championships in GA and still holds the record of consecutive wins in GA. More importantly, the guy flat out knows how to coach linemen. We have a lot of great coaches but this might be the best hire other than Mark Richt himself.
I really hope this is confirmed.

One thing I hope is a result, use the salary savings from Kool to Simpson to upgrade/increase off field recruiting staff

Why do you think we saved that much on this hire? I'm guessing he was making in the neighborhood of $250K with Atlanta and that would be on the low end. I believe Kul was making in the neighborhood of $500K.

I'm not one of these people that overrates technicians at the position level (other than QB). Obviously there are different levels of teachers, but at the end of the day, there are only so many techniques and tricks that can be taught. Some communicate better, some motivate better, etc., but position technique is not rocket science no matter how much some people want it to be when pumping up certain coaches.

My concern is this - there is no one in that defensive room anymore who has the resume to stand up and tell Manny when he's full of ****. Manny does a lot well, and in general I like him here... Miami athletes need an aggressive **** calling a defense. However, there are some real elephants in the room with our defensive performance under Diaz and I fear that Kul being replaced with a virtual CFB rookie means he's now totally surrounded by guys who don't have a lot of clout to tell the guy "hey, maybe we should try to do something different on 3rd downs, bud".

The guy needs to be a great recruiter. The GA ties need to pay off immediately. It can't be a Rumph "well he got us in the conversation" kind of thing if he's going to come here with such a thin resume at this level. We have a lot of inefficiencies on this staff, and especially on the defensive side of the ball. These guys gonna have to grow up in a hurry or it's hard to see us taking the next step forward. They're behind the 8ball immediately because of Kul's recruiting failures. I hope he comes in and crushes it. I'd love nothing more than for Kul to be replaced by someone who gets better performance out of his guys.

You have summarized a lot of my posts and criticisms of Manny and our Def staff as a whole. On its own, I think Simpson is an above average hire. Combined with Banda, Rumph and Patke, I’m not that crazy about our Def staff. I’ve got mixed feelings on Manny.

When most other top 10 teams are “stacking talent” on the coaching side, especially with the 10th coach, it’s hard to argue Richt is actively pushing to hire the best coaches for the team.

But, I hope they prove me wrong and Simpson and Patke crush it

Advertisement
I’m not too crazy about the hire but I’m not disappointed in the hire. This will either pay major dividends or hurt us badly, no in between. I’m from metro Atlanta and I will say that Jess Simpson is highly respected with the high school community. We will see if that helps us or not in recruiting. He actually doesn’t have any college experience because he left Georgia St to coach as a defensive assistant for the Falcons. So technically he has a year in the NFL under his belt. Let’s give him a chance and not be mad at him or hating the fact that he is our D line coach. If it doesn’t work out be mad at Richt for making the hire.

Cool, so why Patke? Was it his lack of real experience? Was it that nobody wanted him as an actual coach, similar to Jon Richt, and we decided to promote him? Are we celebrating he was GA? Is the Incarnate Word the best at producing coaches?

Maybe Diaz is hard to work with, ego wise, and that is why we hired someone like Patke?

Maybe we had no other options for Kul and promoted him at the last minute (to recruiting)?

maybe you haven't a clue?

Advertisement
Back