SIAP JESS SIMPSON EXPECTED TO BE MIAMI'S NEW DL COACH

Gotta have hope that Richt just hired the equivalent of Jeremy Pruitt for the DL.

If he did, good hire.

But these Atlanta Falcons references have to stop ... Unless, y'all are also touting Jon Richt's tenure with the Buffalo Bills as being a benefit.

Advertising is all about how you frame it.. "Coach with NFL experience" sounds better than "Coach with short tenure in NFL"

Advertisement
Gotta have hope that Richt just hired the equivalent of Jeremy Pruitt for the DL.

If he did, good hire.

But these Atlanta Falcons references have to stop ... Unless, y'all are also touting Jon Richt's tenure with the Buffalo Bills as being a benefit.

One year helping to coach an Atlanta defensive line that had probably one of its best years is not nothing. That’s like a graduate level course in DLine coaching and technique watching, coaching and teaching the best in the world. That counts for nothing?

My thoughts from a previous thread (before he was confirmed):

IF it's Simpson, I don't believe this is an "underwhelming" hire. Patke was underwhelming. This would be outside the box for sure - Simpson has had an unconventional career track - but the fact remains that Quinn thought highly enough of him as a coach to pry him away from his first college gig after two months.

Things I would like about him -

- Apparently very well-respected and as a defensive coach
- NFL experience as an assistant DL coach learning from one of the best minds in the business
- HC experience, albeit at the HS level (but an extremely impressive resume there)
- Very well-connected in Georgia

Things I would be concerned with -

- No college coaching experience (two months at Ga. State doesn't count)
- No recruiting or development "pedigree" - not saying he can't recruit or develop players, but we can't look at his resume and say "he pulled X guy" or "he developed Y guy" at the college level
- This would be almost certainly be a "stepping stone" gig - which I may actually be okay with (see below)

Unconventional to be sure, but right now I'd lean on the side of liking it for a couple key reasons. First, as I've stated elsewhere I love position coaches who are upwardly mobile. Miami was at their best when they had coaches who stayed for 3-5 years and then got coordinator or HC jobs or bounced to the NFL. We've trended in the other direction lately... This guy spent 20 years at Buford and built a powerhouse. Everyone LOVES him in Georgia. His record there was a ridiculous 164-12 so it's safe to say he knows about the culture of winning. I think he felt like he gave all he could to HS coaching and wanted to see where things took him. Apparently they took him to the NFL just weeks after landing a college job.

In reading some of the articles on Simpson, it looks like he just loves to coach. Even the stuff I've read with him as an assistant with the Falcons - his favorite part of the day is getting on the grass and grinding. He might not want to just upload data and organize gameplans for Bryant Young and Dan Quinn all day. Everything I've read indicates he has a real passion for the game, a passion for his players (in a non-Penn-State way), and just loves to coach.

It comes down to whether you look at this as hiring someone without the requisite P5 experience, or getting in on the ground floor of a really good football coach who's trending up in the ranks. If I had to put a word on it, I'd label this hire "risky", but definitely not "underwhelming."
Not underwhelming at all. Maybe more risky than Kul with a college track record decades long but I have a feeling he'll do very well. And he'll probably recruit better than Kul.

Advertisement
Who was the established name we missed on? And why can’t Simpson do a great job here?
I'm excited by this hire and think he could do very well. Young dynamic guy with high energy and enthusiasm and that could be infectious. Both in coaching and recruiting.

He probably knows X's and O's and DL technique better than most of the critics believe.

what franchise said. Kul had to be a great "developer" of talent b/c they were getting 2/3 stars. land 4/5 stars and the dline coach looks line an amazing coach.

it's not pixie dust, like franchise said. get great talent and he'll look like a great coach. there's an obvious reason richt went with this guy.
what drills and techniques does kul teach that everyone else in the country isn't doing?
are the d line coaches at bam and Clemson and osu great d line coaches? (I don't know honestly so you can enlighten me).

The coach at OSU* is the very highly-regarded Larry Johnson Sr, who has turned some very good DLines at Penn State and now OSU*.
Before Penn State he was a very successful HS in southern Maryland and before that I think coached in northern VA (TC Williams?)....but he was essentially a HS coach who made the jump to big time college ball. Johnson is also a very successful recruiter, especially in the Balt-DC area, which is why Urban nabbed him.
Lots of HAS coaches are making the jump from HS to college, especially those from states with strong HAS football....look at Chad Morris as one of many examples.

He can coach now. He was Bryant Young assistant with the Falcons last year. Dan Quinn and Bryant Young raved about his coaching acumen
Richt wouldn't hire without excellent recommendations from guys whose opinions he trusts. He says he has had a lot of interest from good people for this opening. I can believe that.

This is clearly a Richt guy/call in the sense Richt has to know him pretty well for UGA days. So, I am willing to give Coach Richt the benefit of the doubt. If he had gone with another unknown Manny guy, I would be more skeptical.

Welcome aboard Coach Simpson. Now get to work.

Advertisement
The coach at OSU* is the very highly-regarded Larry Johnson Sr, who has turned some very good DLines at Penn State and now OSU*.
Before Penn State he was a very successful HS in southern Maryland and before that I think coached in northern VA (TC Williams?)....but he was essentially a HS coach who made the jump to big time college ball. Johnson is also a very successful recruiter, especially in the Balt-DC area, which is why Urban nabbed him.
Lots of HAS coaches are making the jump from HS to college, especially those from states with strong HAS football....look at Chad Morris as one of many examples.

Don Soldinger did and he was a very good position coach for years at UM. I think he might have lost interest and intensity near the end, though. I think he and Kehoe were distracted by an outside business interest and that I why they were let go. Similar problem with Greg Mark when he was let go.

His reputation and familiarity in the State of Georgia will be a big plus.

The University of Georgia isn't the only school that works hard for the Georgia football players - I'd guess a good third of Clemson's recruits are likewise from Georgia.

We go rooting around in Georgia - with someone who likewise knows Georgia - that's going to be a major plus.

As far as his coaching experience - he has plenty - and I'd suggest he'll bring some aggressive line play to the Hurricanes - you don't win like he did in Georgia, and you don't get the accolades he has from NFL coaches without having something special.

I'm anxious to seeing his get here and get with it.

If this dude has recruiting juice, then it's a homerun hire. Rick wanted to return UGA's favor of raiding S. FL for recruits. Simpson is a legend in GA HS football. If he can parlay that status into landing some bigtime GA recruits, then this is a big hire for us.

I'm not one who believes that position coaches have any magic pixie dust. Get great players, and they look like great position coaches. Dan Quinn thought this guy was a star and had his eye on him for years. Quinn knows defensive football.
I concur

Advertisement
Don Soldinger did and he was a very good position coach for years at UM. I think he might have lost interest and intensity near the end, though. I think he and Kehoe were distracted by an outside business interest and that I why they were let go. Similar problem with Greg Mark when he was let go.

Soldinger and Coker did not get along. AT ALL. Coker thought Soldinger was 'too hard' on Ty Moss and repeatedly called him soft and fat. Soldinger and Coker butted heads over how to manage these kids fragile egos. That's what happened there.

Are you guys aware of the hundreds of college coaches with little high level experience who went on to great success? There are several of them every year.

Where do you think the TRobs and Corey Raymonds and Thomas Browns came from? It’s actually more rare to hire position coaches with tons of great high level experience because most star position coaches usually move up quickly to coordinator jobs.

Alabaga just won a NC with an OC who had virtually or no real OC experience. UGA s DC was a joke prior to coaching in the playoffs. Alabaga is constantly running new coaches through there.

Get great players and a proven HC. And win.

Advertisement
you guys can blow magic dust on this all you want

it's another green hire

green as all **** and completely and totally underwhelming

Do you bums know who Dann Quinn is and what he’s done defensively at Seattle and at Atlanta. In the NFL.

No doubt this is “out of the box” but that’s alright.

Dan Quinn hand picked this guy to help coach his NFL defensive line.

I WILL REPEAT: Dan Quinn hand picked this guy to help coach his NFL defensive line.

As far as recruiting, sounds like he’s got a little juice in Georgia and the southeast. I see this as part of a strategy for him and Patke to work pull a few linemen from Georgia and surrounding areas. Kind of like SEC teams do with their huge lines.

I like this hire from a defensive coaching standpoint and at least conceptually from a recruiting strategic standpoint...assuming it goes through.

And I’m sure he still has Quinn’s ear as a DL coaching mentor. You’d have to be near vegetative to think he can’t text Quinn whenever he wants.

Advertisement
Back