SIAP JESS SIMPSON EXPECTED TO BE MIAMI'S NEW DL COACH

I will trust the staff's decision on this instead of a bunch of cry baby fans who know little to nothing about college football and recruiting. Expect a lot of Georgia d linemen! Yes you can say his resume is meh but he is a legend in Georgia, one of the most highly respected and reputable coaches ever, got the call to help be on the defensive staff for an NFL team under a great defensive minded head coach. I like this 100%.

Advertisement
Nothing is official as of yet but I'm willing to wait and see what the guy can do before I call him an abject failure.

The timing of Kul leaving is playing more into this decision than I believe a lot of us want to admit. Tough to land guys that were either just hired, or given extensions in the off-season right before spring ball starts. Georgia has been producing a ton of talent and if he gives us a better foothold in that state I'm all for it.

If this dude has recruiting juice, then it's a homerun hire. Rick wanted to return UGA's favor of raiding S. FL for recruits. Simpson is a legend in GA HS football. If he can parlay that status into landing some bigtime GA recruits, then this is a big hire for us.

I'm not one who believes that position coaches have any magic pixie dust. Get great players, and they look like great position coaches. Dan Quinn thought this guy was a star and had his eye on him for years. Quinn knows defensive football.

This.

You guys still haven't learned your lesson have you? Rumph was hired and you trashed him. He has turned out to be a good coach even though he is a horrible recruiter. Banda has turned out to be a good coach and good recruiter and his hire was trashed.

How about we give the guy a chance before we call him a bum hire? If he can recruit his a$$ off and just be a good coach we will be more then good to go AND it will be a homerun hire because while Kool was a great coach he was probably the worst recruiter we have had here ever right up there with Mark Dnofrio.

Advertisement
I prefer this one:

daisy.gif

Looks like a D-lineman to meView attachment 58531

Advertisement
Former Buford football coach settling in with Falcons

By: Justin Felder
POSTED: MAY 30 2017 05:36PM EDT
UPDATED: MAY 30 2017 05:42PM EDT
FLOWERY BRANCH - It's been quite the football fast-track for Jess Simspon.
"To tell you that I thought I'd be coaching in the NFL anytime soon, heck no," said Simpson. "There's no way I would've thought that or believed that."
Yet, here he is, decked out in Falcons gear after a decade of donning Buford logos. The 7-time state champion coach at Buford decided in December, after his 12th season leading the program, to move on. That was in large part because his youngest son had just wrapped up his senior season with the Wolves, and it worked out that new Georgia State football coach Shawn Elliott needed someone to coach his defensive line.
https://bs.serving-sys.com/serving/...stamp]&utm_source=taboola&utm_medium=referral

Simpson took the job, commuting into Atlanta every day during the hectic recruiting season. Then, after National Signing Day, the phone rang.
"Went through recruiting, this kind of came out of the blue in February with DQ," said Simpson, referring to Falcons coach Dan Quinn.
Quinn offered Simpson a spot on his staff as a defensive assistant, working primarily with the defensive line. Simpson says it's been an adjustment to the speed and intricacy of the NFL.
"All coaches know, winning is in the details," said Simpson. "The details here are on level obviously I had never experiences as a high school coach. Listening to these guys talk offense, defense, kicking game. How methodical it is. It's incredible."
The rare leap from high school to the NFL (with a "cup of coffee" as a college coach, Simpson notes) traces back to Quinn's days at the University of Florida. He recruited several Buford players during his tenure in Gainesville, and saw something he liked in the Wolves' head coach.
"Right away I could tell, not only how smart he was, the passion he had for coaching," said Quinn. "He was always somebody I was going to keep my eye on."
The timing couldn't have been better; appropriate for a coach that feels most at home on the turf teaching his charges how to get a great burst at the snap of the ball. Simpson is thankful Georgia State allowed him to take advantage of a great opportunity, all the more special just down the road from his home and from the place he won about 93% of his high school games.
"I'm blessed, I've been lucky," said Simpson. "Just around a bunch of great guys. Having an opportunity of a lifetime as a lifetime high school coach, this is pretty neat."

If this dude has recruiting juice, then it's a homerun hire. Rick wanted to return UGA's favor of raiding S. FL for recruits. Simpson is a legend in GA HS football. If he can parlay that status into landing some bigtime GA recruits, then this is a big hire for us.

I'm not one who believes that position coaches have any magic pixie dust. Get great players, and they look like great position coaches. Dan Quinn thought this guy was a star and had his eye on him for years. Quinn knows defensive football.
Im not sure how Georgia football works but im sure recruiting goes on of some sorts in HS. The Dan Quinn thing stuck out to me but also that he went from a HS head coach to a Defensive Line/ ASSISTANT HC at Georgia State. Big Move. I wonder if he played with Searles at Auburn

What confuses me about people's doom and gloom concern about this guy is the fact that Kul is trying to get to where he's been: the NFL. This guy has coached on a pretty good NFL team, and he coached up monsters that went to the NFL. Kul's selling point was the fact that he's sent guys to the NFL, well Jess Simpson has coached in the NFL. Wuz good?

Advertisement
Probably not my first choice but I'll take him over some re-tread bum who has a ton of "experience" at sucking.

Miami is gonna sell the **** out of this guy being the falcons former (asst) Dline coach. Come to the U and be coached by the former NFL dline Coach.

And on the recruiting trail in Georgia they're gonna try an use this guy being a local legend but lets see how he coaches are current guys up and who he can land during the grad transfer recruiting period between now and summer. Let's see if he can land one of the clemson transfers, particularly Sterling Johnson (whom is the best of the transferring group).

Last edited:
Advertisement
CMR is a sly mf'er I tell you. Wouldnt put it past me that he had something up his sleeve like this since he first got here to really get Miami into GA. Of course he knows Simpson from his GA days and how good he is with hs kids. CMR tells Simpson after he's hired to go get some college exp(GA State) and then get some NFL exp and learn more techniques and drills from ATL and Dan Quinn and come to Miami. I think Kul had a foot out the door since he got here and Richt noticed that. I even think CMR had Quinn on campus before. Yea its a reach but it wouldnt surprise me. Im bored. Good hire.

what franchise said. Kul had to be a great "developer" of talent b/c they were getting 2/3 stars. land 4/5 stars and the dline coach looks line an amazing coach.

it's not pixie dust, like franchise said. get great talent and he'll look like a great coach. there's an obvious reason richt went with this guy.
what drills and techniques does kul teach that everyone else in the country isn't doing?
are the d line coaches at bam and Clemson and osu great d line coaches? (I don't know honestly so you can enlighten me).

Per Rusty Mansell (247 sports guy for Georgia):

"Spent a lot of time covering his teams at Buford. Jess is a really good coach and has rose through the ranks quickly. Went to Georgia State for a few weeks, Falcons got him and now will end up at Miami.
No nonsense type guy, kids were coached hard. He was very respected among High School coaches here, so I imagine quickly he will be put into Georgia and more importantly into Gwinnett County. A county with 38+ high schools, (I think is the number) but with all the NFL talent coming from there, he will be in those schools a lot for Miami.
You put him, Searels, Todd Hartley and Thomas Brown , there is too many connections for the Canes not to try to sign 3-5 every year from this state.
Side note, I loved Jarren Williams at Army. Thought he was really good at Army. He is going to play a lot earlier than some expect. Watch out for him....
Just wanted to stop in..
"

Advertisement
Back