SIAP JESS SIMPSON EXPECTED TO BE MIAMI'S NEW DL COACH

Advertisement
It's not a defensive staff with Power 5 experience. Semantics, but I think there's a difference there. I think Simpson is a good coach. I think Banda is a good coach. I think Rumph is a good technical coach and a terrible recruiter. I think Patke was a bad hire.
Rumph is not a great recruiter but he isn’t a Terrible recruiter either. Come on ghost... I’m still trying to see why people prop Banda up so much? He has missed a lot of his targets too.several dbs in the 2017 cycle,jobe in 2018, briggs down the stretch in 2018 who he was spear heading the recruitment. Rumph has gotten 5 4 Star cbs at his position the last 2 cycles and also helped get2 4stars in Herbert and Silvera and Banda has only got 1 4 Star in the last 2 cycles yet rumph is the “terrible” recruiter.

Do you bums know who Dann Quinn is and what he’s done defensively at Seattle and at Atlanta. In the NFL.

No doubt this is “out of the box” but that’s alright.

Dan Quinn hand picked this guy to help coach his NFL defensive line.

I WILL REPEAT: Dan Quinn hand picked this guy to help coach his NFL defensive line.

As far as recruiting, sounds like he’s got a little juice in Georgia and the southeast. I see this as part of a strategy for him and Patke to work pull a few linemen from Georgia and surrounding areas. Kind of like SEC teams do with their huge lines.

I like this hire from a defensive coaching standpoint and at least conceptually from a recruiting strategic standpoint...assuming it goes through.

Last edited:
Advertisement
something tells me this will turn into a great hire and he will not only get us some great recruits out of GA. but it's meant to **** off Kirby..

we will be fine guys.If Dan Quinn hires the guy from Ga.So. then I'm comfortable with CMR hiring him here.

as usual though CIS goes into expolsion mode before the guy has a chance to get on campus.

Whoever is recruiting the CBs has been horrible.
Whoever who has been recruiting on defense at all levels have not been good period. Funny you say this since we brought in the most blue chip prospects at that spot out of any position on the team the last 2 cycles

he won't really have to recruit south Florida. why will he really have to recruit south Florida?

Advertisement
It's not a defensive staff with Power 5 experience. Semantics, but I think there's a difference there. I think Simpson is a good coach. I think Banda is a good coach. I think Rumph is a good technical coach and a terrible recruiter. I think Patke was a bad hire.

You need some guys on your staff that are young, hungry and willing to work extremely long hours. He is coaching outside linebackers. He was a graduate assistant for Diaz at Louisiana Tech and Mississippi and the QC the last two years. Obviously, he understands what Diaz wants to do with his linebackers. At least in interviews, once Patke hit the trail the kids he was contacting had good things to say about him. His doesn't take the hit for lapses in Kul's recruiting. This guy was brought on because Kul as a recruiter was a disaster.

Rumph is not a great recruiter but he isn’t a Terrible recruiter either. Come on ghost... I’m still trying to see why people prop Banda up so much? He has missed a lot of his targets too.several dbs in the 2017 cycle,jobe in 2018, briggs down the stretch in 2018 who he was spear heading the recruitment. Rumph has gotten 5 4 Star cbs at his position the last 2 cycles and also helped get2 4stars in Herbert and Silvera and Banda has only got 1 4 Star in the last 2 cycles yet rumph is the “terrible” recruiter.

"Terrible" might have been harsh, and yes Banda shares the load here, but Rumph's misses have been more glaring IMO. I do think he's done a very good job teaching the CB position.

Gotta have hope that Richt just hired the equivalent of Jeremy Pruitt for the DL.

If he did, good hire.

But these Atlanta Falcons references have to stop ... Unless, y'all are also touting Jon Richt's tenure with the Buffalo Bills as being a benefit.

Advertisement
You need some guys on your staff that are young, hungry and willing to work extremely long hours. He is coaching outside linebackers. He was a graduate assistant for Diaz at Louisiana Tech and Mississippi and the QC the last two years. Obviously, he understands what Diaz wants to do with his linebackers. At least in interviews, once Patke hit the trail the kids he was contacting had good things to say about him. His doesn't take the hit for lapses in Kul's recruiting. This guy was brought on because Kul as a recruiter was a disaster.

I say "bad" in the sense that there's absolutely NOTHING to go on other than Diaz's relationship with him. No track record, no nothing. That was my biggest issue. He may turn out to be a beast - I hope he does.

My thoughts from a previous thread (before he was confirmed):

IF it's Simpson, I don't believe this is an "underwhelming" hire. Patke was underwhelming. This would be outside the box for sure - Simpson has had an unconventional career track - but the fact remains that Quinn thought highly enough of him as a coach to pry him away from his first college gig after two months.

Things I would like about him -

- Apparently very well-respected and as a defensive coach
- NFL experience as an assistant DL coach learning from one of the best minds in the business
- HC experience, albeit at the HS level (but an extremely impressive resume there)
- Very well-connected in Georgia

Things I would be concerned with -

- No college coaching experience (two months at Ga. State doesn't count)
- No recruiting or development "pedigree" - not saying he can't recruit or develop players, but we can't look at his resume and say "he pulled X guy" or "he developed Y guy" at the college level
- This would be almost certainly be a "stepping stone" gig - which I may actually be okay with (see below)

Unconventional to be sure, but right now I'd lean on the side of liking it for a couple key reasons. First, as I've stated elsewhere I love position coaches who are upwardly mobile. Miami was at their best when they had coaches who stayed for 3-5 years and then got coordinator or HC jobs or bounced to the NFL. We've trended in the other direction lately... This guy spent 20 years at Buford and built a powerhouse. Everyone LOVES him in Georgia. His record there was a ridiculous 164-12 so it's safe to say he knows about the culture of winning. I think he felt like he gave all he could to HS coaching and wanted to see where things took him. Apparently they took him to the NFL just weeks after landing a college job.

In reading some of the articles on Simpson, it looks like he just loves to coach. Even the stuff I've read with him as an assistant with the Falcons - his favorite part of the day is getting on the grass and grinding. He might not want to just upload data and organize gameplans for Bryant Young and Dan Quinn all day. Everything I've read indicates he has a real passion for the game, a passion for his players (in a non-Penn-State way), and just loves to coach.

It comes down to whether you look at this as hiring someone without the requisite P5 experience, or getting in on the ground floor of a really good football coach who's trending up in the ranks. If I had to put a word on it, I'd label this hire "risky", but definitely not "underwhelming."
Keep in mind Don Soldinger was only a HS coach before he came to Miami. I think Don coached TE's, LB's and RB's at different times. I don't think he was ever a college coach other than two stints at Miami. He might have lost intensity and effectiveness later in his career but he developed Portis, Davenport, McGahee, and maybe Gore at different times. He was also one of our better recruiters.

Advertisement
I think he was also brought on because he knew Texas and we want to expand our presence in Texas. We used to do pretty well in Texas: Jessie Armstead, Kevin Williams, Bubba Franks, Damione Lewis, etc. Banda is from Texas and Diaz coached there briefly, but Patke might be able to concentrate more on the state.

Sheesh. Was the DL job posted on Indeed.com or what?

Too many coaching question marks on the defensive side of the ball. I normally try to stay positive too but c'mon man. We airballed a freethrow on this hire.

This isn't uncommon anymore, so long as it is the right hire. Jeremey Pruitt had never been a head coach on any level until Tennessee.

Whoever who has been recruiting on defense at all levels have not been good period. Funny you say this since we brought in the most blue chip prospects at that spot out of any position on the team the last 2 cycles
We've brought in an excellent group at CB, a really outstanding group, despite missing on the AH guys. Probably one of the very best groups in the country.

Advertisement
Back