SHOW UP TO THE WATSCO

Advertisement
I can one-up you.

Used to go to all the games in the Knight Center (we played there from 1985 until whenever the old Miami Arena opened), which only had regular seating capacity on one side (it was more of a concert hall setup). The "student section" was a couple of aluminum bleachers on the "other" side (the side without seats).

It was so much fun. Not a lot of big wins, but a lot of fun.
Bet nobody here remembers playing at the Dinner Key Auditorium or the Miami Beach convention hall.

Bet nobody here remembers playing at the Dinner Key Auditorium or the Miami Beach convention hall.
Check my post (#31 in this thread). Never saw a game at Dinner Key but ... many at both the Miami Beach Auditorium, and at the Convention Hall next door.

Advertisement
Dinner Key was wierd. My favorite player back in the day was Don Curnutt he could play guard as a pure shooter with anybody in todays game.
Another great UM player. Bruce Hale had a pipeline going from the Hoosier State. You could write him in for 20+ every game. Scored over 2000 points at UM and is another UM player in the Indiana HS Hall of Fame.

i went to all those games, first as a student then as student manager, loved that place
I remember John Thompson posting one of his staff at the locker room door as security for the entire game

Oh, I'm aware. I was effectively sitting behind you. And John (not Thompson, student manager John). I lived a couple of doors down from John's brother in Eaton.

Dinner Key was wierd. My favorite player back in the day was Don Curnutt he could play guard as a pure shooter with anybody in todays game.

Had a friend in law school who was a retired Miami cop, he told us he was working at Dinner Key for The Doors concert in 1969.

Advertisement
Oh, I'm aware. I was effectively sitting behind you. And John (not Thompson, student manager John). I lived a couple of doors down from John's brother in Eaton.
Don't I know it Ori, I trade messages with John occasionally. He's Mr. NASA these days

BUMP

Still a **** ton of tickets available, which frankly is pathetic. It’s gonna be really embarassing and shameful if this team comes out to another sparse crowd on Tuesday night.

BUMP

Still a **** ton of tickets available, which frankly is pathetic. It’s gonna be really embarassing and shameful if this team comes out to another sparse crowd on Tuesday night.
Hopefully, rhat won't happen. Imagine if SoFla crowds had to contend with ice, sleet and snow like elsewhere.

Advertisement
BUMP

We will see how our new AD handles this next year. It’s too late for marketing miracles and that is part of the game. Coach L has really done nothing to get these games hyped.

I don't go that far back, but I do remember going to the James L. Knight Center to watch Dennis Burns, Eric Brown and Kevin Presto. LOL!
Two words - Tito Horford! He's on my all-name team with the guy from Depaul back then, Dallas Comegys, and NBA star World B. Free. Oh, I'd give a kingdom to have a guy Tito's size (7' 1", 245) on our team right now. We do very well with our small ball team, but I really wonder how many other challenges we could give other teams with a dominant big man in addition to our current guys.

I remember going to all of the games at the Knight Center as well. It's very hard to explain to other people playing basketball in a theatre that is better structured for performing arts than b-ball, but honestly, I was just glad they restarted the basketball program again -- thank you Sam Jankovich! I would be going to the game for sure if I was in south Florida, but unfortunately I'm one of those dealing with the snow/sleet/ice/rain in Richmond right now.

Two words - Tito Horford! He's on my all-name team with the guy from Depaul back then, Dallas Comegys, and NBA star World B. Free. Oh, I'd give a kingdom to have a guy Tito's size (7' 1", 245) on our team right now. We do very well with our small ball team, but I really wonder how many other challenges we could give other teams with a dominant big man in addition to our current guys.

I remember going to all of the games at the Knight Center as well. It's very hard to explain to other people playing basketball in a theatre that is better structured for performing arts than b-ball, but honestly, I was just glad they restarted the basketball program again -- thank you Sam Jankovich! I would be going to the game for sure if I was in south Florida, but unfortunately I'm one of those dealing with the snow/sleet/ice/rain in Richmond right now.
TIto Horford had all the physical gifts. Size, strength, agility, etc. Just blessed physically. It's a shame he didn't pan out in the NBA.

Advertisement
My son said they are not turning away any student and will overflow them to open seating. Student ID and you are in. Student section was sold out so should be a least a lively crowd.

The TV shot panning the arena at tip off showed a ton of empty seats. Hope someone can tell me the attendance was better than it looked!!

The TV shot panning the arena at tip off showed a ton of empty seats. Hope someone can tell me the attendance was better than it looked!!
It looked really empty at tip off but much better after the first couple of timeouts. Rush hour traffic around coral gables ain’t no game.

Advertisement
Back