SHOW UP TO THE WATSCO

Advertisement
It was sold out, but unless it was a big name opponent, people didn't show. It was a joke.
Exactly. For all we know, the Ath Dept would probably tell you the place is "sold out" this season too. When those "sold out" years were trumpeted, there was no way there would've have been 60-70% "no shows" at all those games. Probably was a marketing ploy to try to make a season ticket seem like a necessity when it was far from that!

Exactly. For all we know, the Ath Dept would probably tell you the place is "sold out" this season too. When those "sold out" years were trumpeted, there was no way there would've have been 60-70% "no shows" at all those games. Probably was a marketing ploy to try to make a season ticket seem like a necessity when it was far from that!
This was 100% what was taking place. Anybody that watches every game like majority of this board does could tell you that. It was more of a reach than when we hear we had 60,000+ at hard rock for some no name Opponent when we have no buzz

Last edited:
This was 100% what was taking place. Anybody that watches every game like majority of this board does could tell you that. It was more of a reach than we hear we had 60,000+ at hard rock for some no name Opponent when we have no buzz
I was at the FSU “sell out” plenty of seats.

It was sold out, but unless it was a big name opponent, people didn't show. It was a joke.

Wasn’t a joke. There was absolutely decent attendance in 2017. It wasn’t great… but it wasn’t empty.

Everybody wants instant gratification, but the reality is everything is a process.

I’m not arguing that the AD didn’t carry their weight in promoting the program (that is a true fact)… but things were absolutely building in a consistently positive direction before the FBI debacle.

And I have no doubt that attendance and support will grow with the success of the team.

Advertisement
Wasn’t a joke. There was absolutely decent attendance in 2017. It wasn’t great… but it wasn’t empty.

Everybody wants instant gratification, but the reality is everything is a process.

I’m not arguing that the AD didn’t carry their weight in promoting the program (that is a true fact)… but things were absolutely building in a consistently positive direction before the FBI debacle.

And I have no doubt that attendance and support will grow with the success of the team.
They were real sell outs. Not everyone will show up to every game, but on most nights the arena was 70% full or more (except for the cupcake OoC games). That's a lot better than what we are getting now.

I just wanted to see If I could make a comparison between Canes basketball and Florida Panthers hockey both teams I follow with a passion and both in first place and nobody for the most part seems to care. The Panthers had their first sellout Saturday night but I don’t expect that happens much until they get to the playoffs. If college basketball had playoffs we would get sellouts.

I just wanted to see If I could make a comparison between Canes basketball and Florida Panthers hockey both teams I follow with a passion and both in first place and nobody for the most part seems to care. The Panthers had their first sellout Saturday night but I don’t expect that happens much until they get to the playoffs. If college basketball had playoffs we would get sellouts.
UM basketball has always struggled with apathy from the local community. I think Canedude made a good point in a post above. When the local beat writers cover basketball, most of our fans either ignore it or get angry that they're not discussing football instead. I've seen it happen countless times on social media.

Advertisement

I don’t think you can compare hockey to basketball in south Florida. Football >> Basketball >> Baseball >= Soccer >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Hockey

What's decent to your mind (in an arena that is already very small (8000) by major college basketball standards)? Talking about actual butts in seats.

In an area the size of Greater Miami, with no competing major college programs, you'd think 75% full would be the "floor" for even the lowest-interest ACC game. A full house for any attractive matchup.

If Ruiz is so anxious to help UM sports out with his $$, there must be a legal way for him to purchase large blocks of tix for local area youth teams, UM employees, etc.

I could be wrong but I think I saw where VT only drew in the 5500? range for their recent game against us. Cassell seats 9300. Somehow, though, their place sounded so much louder than the Watsco on TV. Simple matter of lack of numbers, or are our students/crowd just more reserved?

What's decent to your mind (in an arena that is already very small (8000) by major college basketball standards)? Talking about actual butts in seats.

In an area the size of Greater Miami, with no competing major college programs, you'd think 75% full would be the "floor" for even the lowest-interest ACC game. A full house for any attractive matchup.

If Ruiz is so anxious to help UM sports out with his $$, there must be a legal way for him to purchase large blocks of tix for local area youth teams, UM employees, etc.

I could be wrong but I think I saw where VT only drew in the 5500? range for their recent game against us. Cassell seats 9300. Somehow, though, their place sounded so much louder than the Watsco on TV. Simple matter of lack of numbers, or are our students/crowd just more reserved?
Our crowd has always had a "sit on their hands" approach to the game and only seems to get loud if it's an intense game or we're blowing the other team out (Duke 12-13). Could also be optics on TV. I've heard the Watsco get really loud (in person, at least) when it's a full house and everyone is into the game.

So if you are a Hurricane Club member, Rad just released a new angle "Canes Community". Received it today via email. I believe marketing is going to greatly improve

Advertisement
So if you are a Hurricane Club member, Rad just released a new angle "Canes Community". Received it today via email. I believe marketing is going to greatly improve

I believe you are 100% correct. The basketball staff had to literally do the promotional work that the AD was supposed to be doing… it was… not so good. Coach L even did his own fundraising with not so much support from the last AD.

The future is super bright.

I get the appeal of cynicism… but the Watsco was sold out for 3 straight seasons before the FBI disaster.

Win and the attention and fans will come.
You are right, they sold out all the season tickets back then, never been done before and yes people showed more for the "big names"
Welcome to Miami, where the fans only come out in fair weather.

Advertisement
You are right, they sold out all the season tickets back then, never been done before and yes people showed more for the "big names"
Welcome to Miami, where the fans only come out in fair weather.
I just can not believe that 50% or more of "season tix holders" wouldn't come out to games they've already paid for, or at least give the tix away to people who would come. Sure, there are always no shows in sold out arenas, but ... nowhere near to the tremendous extent you'd have us believe was the case.

Regardless, that was then, this is now. Let's hope for at least a decent-sized crowd that gets into the game tonight.

BUMP

It's senior day and there's a ton on the line. There is absolutely no excuse not to have a packed house this Saturday. Still some tickets available on the UM site and on Stubhub.

Anybody have influence on social media? It would be nice to get a #PackTheWat movement started on Twitter.

Advertisement
Back